FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCPROHD 1080p 25 Newbie question!

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Dunn
DVCPROHD 1080p 25 Newbie question!
on Apr 25, 2008 at 2:08:09 pm

Hi there,

If anyone can help me with this I'd really appreciate it. I'm completely new to the Kona 3 but have just acquired one and am in the process of setting it up. It's all very new and i'm not 100% on the ins and outs of the interface for setting up formats etc at the moment and expect this will take a bit of feeling around and asking questions.

The problem I have is that i need to digitise some footage early next week and have no idea as yet what the best solution for this will be. I have footage shot on DVCPROHD at 1080p 25. At the moment i can't seem to see an ideal acquisition format on the KONA. We will be showing this piece at art events so need the quality to be good.

So my question really is what format should I capture in?? DVCPROHD, Uncompressed 8-Bit, or Prores?? Also, will i be able to use 1080p 25?? I've found settings within the KONA control panel that relate to 1080p 25 but not in the capture settings in FCP!

I'm guessing this is fairly straight forward (actually, I hope it is!!!) but I'm at the bottom end of what I guess is a fairly steep learning curve with all this and will appreciate all the help I can get!

Thanks in advance

Alex

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: DVCPROHD 1080p 25 Newbie question!
on Apr 25, 2008 at 2:15:01 pm

You're certain it's 1080p/25 and not 1080i/25?

If so, just create a new Easy Setup using the AJA Kona 3 DVCPro HD 1080i/25 as your starting point and change the Sequence Settings from Upper Field First to None. We've cut two documentaries shot 1080i/50 (25) and it was straightforward editing with the Kona 3.

We keep DVCPro HD in the native format through the entire process as we most often will lay back to our DVCPro HD 1400 deck. Some folks really like the new ProRes codec, but I haven't seen enough of an advantage yet to use it.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Alex Dunn
on Apr 25, 2008 at 2:33:01 pm

Hi Walter, thanks for getting back so quickly!

I'm pretty sure it's 1080p 25. We shot on the Panasonic HDX900 and when shooting we chose 1080 with the 25p option. It was something I checked with the camera rental guys first and asked. They said this was 1080p 25.

If this turns out to definitely be the case what should I be looking to do??

Thanks

Alex

Return to posts index

Alex Dunn
on Apr 25, 2008 at 2:43:03 pm

Also, just so you know, I'm running FCP 6.0.2.

Is there a chance i need to run an upgrade to see 1080 25p?? I thought I wouldn't as the KONA would have that setting?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 25, 2008 at 3:19:00 pm

[Alex Dunn] "I have footage shot on DVCPROHD at 1080p 25. At the moment i can't seem to see an ideal acquisition format on the KONA. "

The setting you are looking for is called 1080 25i..

1080 content always plays back as interlace on a monitor, it is the nature if the format called a progressive segmented frame or PsF.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Alex Dunn
on Apr 25, 2008 at 3:47:21 pm

Ah, ok. So let me just check, it means the 25p setting at 1080 still produces interlaced frames?? I'm a bit confused as there was the option to shoot at 25i or 25p!! Does that mean my footage was shot interlaced none the less? Or do I just need to capture via the 25i setting?

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Apr 25, 2008 at 4:14:01 pm

[Alex Dunn] "Ah, ok. So let me just check, it means the 25p setting at 1080 still produces interlaced frames??"

Yes. In DVCPro HD, not to mention HDCam & HDV, 1080P is really 1080 PsF. Meaning it's progressive footage inside of an interlaced stream.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 25, 2008 at 4:27:52 pm

[Alex Dunn] "Ah, ok. So let me just check, it means the 25p setting at 1080 still produces interlaced frames?? "

You shot on the HDX 900 Right? that produces its content as 25/50i on tape correct?
Why is this so hard to grasp, you shot in an interlaced format on the tape didn't you?

PsF content is handled in the NLE as progressive - it is always played out on a monitor as interlace. ( and this is only true for 1080, 720 is always a "true" progressive.)

The SIMPLE RULE is -
if you recorded 1080 in camera it HAS to be PsF by the nature of the format.

if you recorded externally to a digital device (we are NOT talking about a firestore here) the content can be either -depending on your technical skill and knowledge.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Alex Dunn
on Apr 25, 2008 at 4:54:51 pm

It was the PsF that confused me slightly. As I said, I'm new to the HD realm and wasn't sure of the difference between shooting 'true' progressive at 720 and PsF (labeled as 25p) on 1080. Now it's just about getting the footage captured in the best way!!

So capturing at 1080 25i is the correct workflow for this footage? There is not an option for the 1080 25psf that would suite it better? I've searched a fair amount to try to garner the info i need to get this right but it's all a bit contradictory in places! I just want to make sure i get this right.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 25, 2008 at 5:13:09 pm

Capture using the 25i setting. Then make a new sequence. In that sequence hit command-zero and change the field dominance to none, just like Walter said.

After that, stop worrying and edit ;)

Return to posts index

Alex Dunn
on Apr 25, 2008 at 5:16:14 pm

Thanks very much guys. Just needed some prodding in the right direction!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]