FORUMS: list search recent posts

Calibration tips for Panasonic TH50PH10UKA?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Zimbard
Calibration tips for Panasonic TH50PH10UKA?
on Apr 7, 2008 at 2:10:33 am

After seeing these screens at some recent trade shows we were really impressed and picked up a couple to place in our edit suites as client monitors. I've been playing around with the settings, but I can't get the colors and luminance to match what I see on our edit monitors (JVC 24L1Ds). Especially in the higher luminance areas our JVCs appears true white and the Panasonics are looking more of a milky grey. No matter what I do, I can't get a true white. And colors that are properly saturated on the JVCs appear more muted on the Panasonic. We're doing a series of clean graphic spots on white backgrounds and I know our client is going to have an issue that the white is appearing greyish on the plasmas. Is there any kind of "clamp" on luma or saturation that the monitor has that I'm not aware of? How are you guys finding it best to properly calibrate this screen? Can you offer any settings?? I know I saw it look better in person. Any info is greatly appreciated.

- Mike

8-Core 3.2 Mac Pro, 10.5.2, Kona 3, Quicktime 7.4.1

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Calibration tips for Panasonic TH50PH10UKA?
on Apr 7, 2008 at 3:01:18 am

Check the power saving settings.

Return to posts index

Mike Zimbard
on Apr 7, 2008 at 2:26:56 pm

Thanks for the tip Jeremy, but unfortunately all my power save settings are set to off. I'm really puzzled......There has got to be something in there clipping the luma and saturation but I can't find it.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 7, 2008 at 2:39:06 pm

There's a few places with Power Save being one. My power management is on, but turning on the power save does exactly what you are experiencing. Now that I am back at the office I will look up exactly.

Go under 'Screensaver' in the 'setup' menu and turn off the peak limit.

Did that do it?

Return to posts index

Aaron Neitz
on Apr 7, 2008 at 8:38:23 pm

FWIW, if I put up a 100% white solid, our Panny 10UK 37" definitely looks grey compared to Cinema Display, but fairly close to my Sony CRT.

I think it's the nature of LCD technology to have very bright whites. It's not that your Panny is grey, but with a bright LCD to reference it against, it looks dimmer.

The panny looks gorgeous with regular footage - but pure white isn't it's strength.

Return to posts index

Mike Zimbard
on Apr 8, 2008 at 1:20:39 am

Jeremy and Andrew thanks very much. Makes sense about what you're saying in comparison to an LCD screen. I guess a bright white is just not a strength of this screen. Too bad, but other shots definitely do look great so I guess its a trade off.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]