FORUMS: list search recent posts

Connection set up with MiniDV

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Robert
Connection set up with MiniDV
on Mar 28, 2008 at 6:15:21 pm

I'm in the process of up-rezing 720X480 to 720X486 Apple Pro res(HQ). I did a test on on project and the picture was obviously better in color and maybe slightly sharper. I think the blacks came out a little more richer, I don't know. After uprezing a 24P project, it looked good.

I have the MiniDV deck connect via S-video through 2 BNC into AJA Kona LHe.

I decided to try it on another project shot 24pA re-digitizing to a higher quality. Hoping I can have a higher color space in color correction. The picture is much darker this time. It was as if the Black level went down 7.5 IRE. In the AJA control panel, it's set to 7.5 IRE.

Viewing a 720x480 DV media capture via firewire and switching the IRE level to 0, it would look like how I digitized it via BNC connection. Is this normal? Does it matter between 24P vs. 24pA?

I'm wondering if my connection is setup properly. Is there something in Final Cut Pro setting that I may have missed?

Hope this makes sense.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Connection set up with MiniDV
on Mar 28, 2008 at 6:39:18 pm

[Scott Robert] "I'm wondering if my connection is setup properly. Is there something in Final Cut Pro setting that I may have missed?

Hope this makes sense."

In my opinion this is a very bad workflow you have set up.

You're taking MiniDV footage, scaling it up to ProRes 422, and now you're going to output it back to MiniDV via S-Video.

What is going to happen is your video that is 5:1 compressed natively in the DV format is going to get another layer of 5:1 DV compression during record. You're making the end product worse than if you just stayed in the DV format all along.

If your final output is the DV format, stay in the DV format for the entire Post process. This will yield the cleanest possible DV master tape.

If your final output is something else like BetaSP, DigiBeta or even straight to DVD, then your workflow works.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
Read my Blog!
View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Scott Robert
Re: Connection set up with MiniDV
on Mar 28, 2008 at 7:05:01 pm

Thanks for the reply. I always go to DVDs. This particular one I'm working on, I want to send it to a high quality deck. But after digitizing it, the blacks are crushed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]