FORUMS: list search recent posts

Image shifted when in 1080p?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Mann
Image shifted when in 1080p?
on Mar 26, 2008 at 8:47:03 pm

Hey all. I searched a bunch for an answer to this and couldn't find one, so here goes.

We just got a Kona 3 for our MacPro at my company (thanks to MaxxDigital and Bob Zelin for the advice) and it works great.

We shoot almost exclusively in 1080psf23.98 on HDCAM, and capture from our Sony HDW 2000 into FCP. We monitor using the component out of the Kona 3 into a new Dell 2408.

All of that is working fine (capturing, editing to tape, etc...) The only odd thing is that the image on the Dell's screen looks as though it is shifted to the left about a half inch. In other words, there's a fat, vertical strip of black on the right side of the monitor, but not on the left. The image isn't squeezed, it's just shifted over.

The weird part is that if I'm working with 1080i material, and I go into the Kona control panel and switch the output format to "1080i29.97" from "1080sf23.98", the problem disappears. Obviously, that won't work with the majority of our material, which is 23.98.

I'm assuming it's related to interlacing vs, progressive, but I can't figure it out. Anyone had this issue?

--
Jason Mann
Compass Light, Inc.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Image shifted when in 1080p?
on Mar 26, 2008 at 11:25:12 pm

Sounds like a sync issue. Do you have a gen10 to sync your Kona? Or perhaps you have regular blackburst going to your KOna and the Kona is getting confused with the 29.97 signal?

Return to posts index

Jason Mann
on Mar 27, 2008 at 11:51:54 am

I have a Gen10 hooked up to the Kona, and the Kona control panel is showing the sync input as 1080p23.98.

I don't know if this matters, but I am using the Kona breakout box to make these connections.

--
Jason Mann
Compass Light, Inc.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 27, 2008 at 1:53:55 pm

[Jason Mann] "I don't know if this matters, but I am using the Kona breakout box to make these connections."

It shouldn't. Maybe that dell doesn't support 24p very well? What happens if you pull sync altogether?

Return to posts index

Jason Mann
on Mar 27, 2008 at 2:28:09 pm

No change. (I was hoping that would be the fix...)

If the Dell only supported 1080i, not 1080p, would that explain it?

--
Jason Mann
Compass Light, Inc.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 27, 2008 at 2:39:46 pm

That's what my hunch would be. I don't know for sure as I have never tired it with a dell, sorry. But I do know you can monitor your 24p @ 29.97 as you have found out. If that works better, I'd go for that.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jason Mann
on Mar 27, 2008 at 8:08:13 pm

Thanks Jeremy. My current theory is that the Dell 2408 only supports 1080p via the digital inputs (DVI, HDMI, etc...) and not on the component inputs, which is what I'm using.

If I can get my hand on a SDI-DVI or SDI-HDMI converter, I'll test it out. Thanks for your advice so far!

--
Jason Mann
Compass Light, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]