FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LH Footage shot at 1080p 29.97 on HDCAM

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Flookes
Kona LH Footage shot at 1080p 29.97 on HDCAM
on Mar 26, 2008 at 5:53:51 pm

Hey there,

We have some footage shot on HDCAM at what were told is 1080P 29.97. I am trying to load it into FCP using the KonaLH but the only setting the LH will give me for 29.97 is 1080i. This wouldn't be a problem, but its green screen footage and they are going to be keying it so I would rather it be progressive. I loaded a test portion and stepped through some of the faster moving images and it doesn't look interlaced but sometimes i just don't know, can anybody give me insight into this? Am I missing a setting? I have tried changing the compressor in FCP but it doesn't look correct when I go to capture.

Hopefully someone out there can help me out.

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan Flookes

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Kona LH Footage shot at 1080p 29.97 on HDCAM
on Mar 26, 2008 at 7:56:08 pm

[Jonathan Flookes] "We have some footage shot on HDCAM at what were told is 1080P 29.97. I am trying to load it into FCP using the KonaLH but the only setting the LH will give me for 29.97 is 1080i"

thats because the format is called PsF or progressive segmented frame -

Sony's 1080 content on a monitor will play as interlace, whether it is progressive or interlaced at capture. Thats why the setting is called 1080i29.97 - the 23.98/24 is marked as PsF and the 25 is listed as i also.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 26, 2008 at 7:58:59 pm

Today is field day.

Although your signal was recorded progressive scan, it is still treated as interlaced footage, the only difference being is that each frame gets scanned for the same moment in time, from top to bottom so that it looks like one complete frame instead of two fields made up of different moments in time, 1/60th of a second apart. So what you have to do, is capture 1080i, then change the field order (or field dominance as FCP calls it) on the clip to 'none', then edit in a sequence that has field rendering turned off (also signified by none). FCP should give you the option to set your captured footage to a field order of none, but for some reason it doesn't let you do this and the onus is on you to change it. YOu can do this all at one time in the bin by simply selecting all the clips, scroll to the field dominance column, right click and change it from 'upper' to 'none'.

Make sense?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jonathan Flookes
on Mar 26, 2008 at 11:07:42 pm

Thanks Jeremy and Gary,

It does make sense, and I appreciate you guys taking the time to look at my problem. I only have one more question.

If I change the field order in FCP will it directly effect the QT's? My job for this is to load the footage and then ship the drive off to Sweden for some After Effects guys to key a bunch of the footage. My guess is no since FCP is a non-destructive editing platform, and that to get the none field order I would then need to export everything out again.

Thanks again guys, that was huge help.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 26, 2008 at 11:23:54 pm

Hey, no worries.

No it doesn't affect the footage, it just affect how FCP handles the footage internally. The footage is captured and handled the same on the disk. Tell your AE guys to interpret the footage with 'no fields' and render with no fields, and you will achieve the same result.

Still making sense?

Return to posts index

Jonathan Flookes
on Mar 26, 2008 at 11:53:03 pm

Yep,

Makes complete sense, I actually went into AE afterwards with some of the footage and realized you could do exactly that.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]