FORUMS: list search recent posts

"progresive frame" workflow in FCP

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pawel Krzeminski
"progresive frame" workflow in FCP
on Mar 19, 2008 at 12:23:05 am

hello, I'm new to whole mac environment, switched to Final Cut Studio a week ago. And I got big problem. For 99% of my footage I work in progressive mode. I use AJA Kona3 to capture from digital Beta, I got a bit of problem with fields. I capture using PAL preset - its 625i25 ( 720x576 ) - Aspect CCIR 601. It grabs frames as full ( not interlaced ). But still on the timeline they are set as interlaced with Upper fields. and I get jiggy edges, so I have to change properties in every shot from Upper to None. Then it looks ok. I know I'm doing something wrong - just cant put my finger on it.

The problem is that I cant use anything else then 625i25 - thats how AJA describes it.

This is how I got A/V settings set up

Sequence preset :

Frame size : 720x576 CCIR 601 / DV PAL (5:4) - I use non square pixels for every comp

Pixel Aspect Ratio: PAL - CCIR 601(720x576)
Field Dominance: NONE
Editing Timebase: 25

QT video Settings
Compressor: Uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2
Capture Preset

Frame size : 720x576 CCIR 601 / DV PAL (5:4)

QT video settings
digitizer: Aja 8-bit Digitizer
input: 625i25 (720x576) - i cant make new presets ( and in that resolution i got only 625i25

in Kona3 Control Panel i got 625i25 set as Primary ( Native ) format. and again I don't have 625p25 to pick.

Pawel

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: "progresive frame" workflow in FCP
on Mar 19, 2008 at 2:52:10 am

[Pawel Krzeminski] "so I have to change properties in every shot from Upper to None"

Yeah, unfortunately that happens. FCP5 used to be able to figure this out, but something changed with FCP6. FCP now seems to understand true progressive, but in the process has not allowed you to choose this before capture which seems like a mistake to me, but I don't want to say that too loud as I just work here. Unfortunately, you have to change this after you capture. Fortunately, FCP makes this process easy as you can select all the clips in the browser, scroll right to the field dominance column and right click and choose none. You need to do this before you add clips to the timeline.

You can read about this and other weirdities here.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Pawel Krzeminski
on Mar 19, 2008 at 10:58:20 pm

wow, that is a huge bug for me. Is there any news they will fix it ? The problem in my case is that I use Final Cut Studio environment not for editing but more for online work and final compositing. So I import EDL and got a squence with all clips already edited. So I have to manualy change every instance of a clip in every sequence. Maybe there is a way to do that faster ? I have no idea how.

Thanks for the info.
Pawel

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 20, 2008 at 3:38:54 am

[Pawel Krzeminski] "Is there any news they will fix it ? "

Don't know on that one.

[Pawel Krzeminski] "So I import EDL and got a squence with all clips already edited. So I have to manualy change every instance of a clip in every sequence. Maybe there is a way to do that faster ?"

Have whoever is giving you the EDL do it first? Heh heh.

You can select all the clips in your timeline, right click and choose item properties > format from the drop down menu. This will in effect give you access to all of your clips in your timeline at once. You will still have to change them one by one, but at least it's in one space instead of going through clip by clip in the timeline. It still sucks, but it's a bit more bearable.

Sorry, Pawel, I wish I had better news. Maybe there's an even better way, but I haven't found it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]