FORUMS: list search recent posts

10-bit Varicam vs DVCPro HD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Stone
10-bit Varicam vs DVCPro HD
on Mar 11, 2008 at 4:53:05 pm

I'm capturing footage from a Varicam through a Kona Lhe and I'm wondering what the difference between the two setups are and which on is better to use: "10-bit Varicam" and "DVCPro HD".

Thanks!

Dan

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: 10-bit Varicam vs DVCPro HD
on Mar 11, 2008 at 5:48:46 pm

The Varicam is an 8bit source. No reason to capture in 10bit. We edit all DVCPro HD material natively in DVCPro HD.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR
The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 11, 2008 at 10:34:37 pm

Dan, what's your ultimate master and do you have a lot of graphics?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 11, 2008 at 10:39:19 pm

[Daniel Stone] "I'm capturing footage from a Varicam through a Kona Lhe and I'm wondering what the difference between the two setups are and which on is better to use: "10-bit Varicam" and "DVCPro HD". "

if it is a live camera capture - the 10bit capture will give you images that have not been compressed at all at the cost of a large amount of speedy storage.

if you are capturing from a tape in camera, DVCPROHD will give you virtually the exact same content you would capture from a deck over FW.= and as walter said - that would be only 8bit.
( and you should be whacked about the head for using your camera as a playback device)

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Daniel Stone
on Mar 12, 2008 at 2:01:57 am

"Whacked about the head..." Ha ha! I love it! I meant to write that I'm capturing footage - from a deck - that was filmed on the Varicam.

Thanks everybody for the replies! That perfectly answered my question. I assumed 10-bit meant Uncompressed but was confused by the fact that it said 'Varicam' in the title rather than 'Uncompressed' being that the Varicam doesn't film in an uncompressed format (whew what a sentence - hope that makes sense). But it makes sense about capturing live.

We've been using the P2-based HPX-3000 a lot, which neatly packages the footage into ready-to import files. Going from P2 to a tape-based capture gave me angst that I wasn't going to choose the correct capture settings.

All is good. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 12, 2008 at 12:53:19 pm

[Daniel Stone] " assumed 10-bit meant Uncompressed but was confused by the fact that it said 'Varicam' in the title rather than "

the "Varicam" moniker identifies the capture settings that can extract the Variable Frame rate data from Varicam recorded tapes - ie: so that you can remove the redundant frames from the 720p60 video steam to get to 23.98 for capture - even if you shoot 33/60 - the Varicam settings will capture the content so that it's offspeed playback is correct.

there is a complete explanation of how it works in my IoHD article linked in my sig file.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]