FORUMS: list search recent posts

LHe: Lost Analog Outputs

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Huebscher
LHe: Lost Analog Outputs
on Mar 9, 2008 at 6:55:20 am

Tonight, I moved my system onto a new desk, which involved disconnecting and reconnecting everything. Also, I ran SpyderPro2 on my two computer monitors. After restarting, I was unable to get analog video out (though SDI works), and analog audio has a buzzing sound coming from the right channel with no program audio overall.

I triple checked all my connections, disconnected the second monitor, removed the Spyder profiles, zapped the P-ram thrice (not even sure if that matters anymore), reseated the Kona card, reconnected the cable (blew some air in it), reinstalled the drivers (tried both 5.1 and 5.1 NDD), restart restart restart.... same problem.

My system:

2008 Mac Pro Octo-Core 2.8 GHz
8GB RAM
ATI X1900 XT
Internal SATA RAID
Aja LHe v. 5.1-NDD
Sony PVM-14L5/1 and Eizo/HDlink monitoring
Mac OS 10.5.2
FCP 6.0.2
QT 7.4.1
Audio monitoring via Mackie mixer to crappy speakers/headphones

Andrew Huebscher
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: LHe: Lost Analog Outputs
on Mar 9, 2008 at 5:17:48 pm

never use FCP to test problems. Go into the AJA Control Panel in your AJA Utilities folder. Format tab for both primary and secondary - set to 525. Go to control tab, and select test pattern - color bars. Go to analog tab and select either component or composite (I dont' know what TV you have at your place). Plug in your TV - do you see a color bar signal (composite or component ?) - if it's composite, you hook up the Y output to your TV monitor input.

OK, if that works, play a VTR thru your system. Use the INPUT tab to select your input (composite, component, or SDI). You should SEE AND HEAR your audio right now (if its an analog VTR, set your INPUT tab in the audio section to ANALOG, and not embedded or AES).

DO NOT PROCEED with anything else until you can get audio and video working with the AJA Control Panel. If you are confused on how to do this, or can't get it working, either post back here (and say nothing works), or call AJA tomorrow. DO NOT DO ANY TESTS WITH FCP until you get this working.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Andrew Huebscher
on Mar 9, 2008 at 6:09:31 pm

All of my tests up to this point have been using Aja TV with a bars/tone clip loaded into it (and other clips). I haven't loaded FCP. My monitor is a PVM-14L5/1 via component. I know it's hooked up properly so there is no issue there (I also checked the cable by playing some footage off my UVW-1800). Even though I haven't gotten analog out to work, I tried sending some footage from the Beta deck into the analog input, monitoring off SDI. All I get is a jittery blue/green crazy screen. So it appears none of the analog ins or outs are working. Again, SDI out works, but that's a direct connect to the board (vs. breakout cable).

Andrew Huebscher
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 9, 2008 at 7:32:59 pm

you write -
Even though I haven't gotten analog out to work, I tried sending some footage from the Beta deck into the analog input, monitoring off SDI. All I get is a jittery blue/green crazy screen. So it appears none of the analog ins or outs are working. Again, SDI out works, but that's a direct connect to the board (vs. breakout cable).

REPLY -
this is what you will do. Do not ask any more questions until you do this. You own a PVM-14L5/1. This monitor will display an HD signal via analog component HD. You will put up the color bar test pattern in the AJA Control panel. You will take the Y Pb Pr signal out of the Kona LHe, and stick it into the PVM-14L5/1 analog component input, and select component on the front of the TV. You should see your color bar signal on your TV monitor (DO YOU SEE IT).

OK, now, go to the FORMAT tab in the AJA Control Panel. Is it on 525, or 1080, or 720 ??? I bet it's on 1080 or 720. Change it to 525. There is a PRIMARY AND SECONDARY in this Format tab - make BOTH PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SAY 525. Now put up that control tab color bar test pattern again - do you see color bars? I bet you do - and if you see a scrambled signal, it's because your FORMAT is selected to 1080i or 720p, and not 525.

NOW, put the Control Tab into INPUT PASSTHRU instead of TEST PATTERN. Play your Beta VTR. Do you see a picture ? Do you hear audio ? If you don't hear audio, go to the INPUT tab, and select ANALOG AUDIO instead of AES or embedded audio.

Bet it works now.

bob zelin

Return to posts index

Andrew Huebscher
on Mar 9, 2008 at 11:18:29 pm

[Bob Zelin] "REPLY -
this is what you will do. Do not ask any more questions until you do this. You own a PVM-14L5/1. This monitor will display an HD signal via analog component HD. You will put up the color bar test pattern in the AJA Control panel. You will take the Y Pb Pr signal out of the Kona LHe, and stick it into the PVM-14L5/1 analog component input, and select component on the front of the TV. You should see your color bar signal on your TV monitor (DO YOU SEE IT).

No luck yet. And yes, I know how to hook up my monitor to the Kona via component. This is the way it has always been hooked up. Remember, I'm just trying to fix something that worked perfectly fine before.

OK, now, go to the FORMAT tab in the AJA Control Panel. Is it on 525, or 1080, or 720 ??? I bet it's on 1080 or 720. Change it to 525. There is a PRIMARY AND SECONDARY in this Format tab - make BOTH PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SAY 525. Now put up that control tab color bar test pattern again - do you see color bars? I bet you do - and if you see a scrambled signal, it's because your FORMAT is selected to 1080i or 720p, and not 525.

I have tried all formats - 525/1080/and 720 - both primary and secondary. I have experimented with just about every setting in the control panel. I am beginning to think it's a hardware issue.

Andrew Huebscher
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 10, 2008 at 1:28:57 am

It may well be a hardware issue (a bad Kona LHe card) - BUT, you are not making this clear to me.

Are you telling me that you can bring up a 1080i or 720p color bar pattern, but you cant' bring up a 525 color bar pattern? It makes it very difficult to trouble shoot with you, if you dont' tell me what your test results are.

You are monitoring on the PVM-14L5/1 monitor in analog CAV - and you say that you see the SDI signal (I assume you mean the HD signal, and not the NTSC signal - you are not making this clear in your response).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Andrew Huebscher
on Mar 10, 2008 at 3:47:24 am

I cannot see ANY signal coming off the analog outs -- SD or HD, nor can I get any analog audio from or to the card (I have no means of testing digital audio). The SDI/HD-SDI outputs work fine (525/720/1080). These I am monitoring via an HDLink and LCD panel. Everything was tested with a test pattern in the control panel, and also via SMPTE bars playback in AJA TV (to test the audio). I do not know if it is a bad card yet. I think someone at Aja may have to make that analysis. Hope this clears it up!

Andrew Huebscher
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]