FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitoring with Kona LHe and Beta SP

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch Jordan
Monitoring with Kona LHe and Beta SP
on Mar 4, 2008 at 7:16:16 pm

I'm considering buying a Kona LHe card for a number of reasons, but one is to be able to work in FCP with uncompressed video from my Beta SP deck. I also plan to use it to work with HD video. However, I see that it only has one set of analog component in and out cables. Is it correct that you can either work with component video from the Beta SP deck, or monitor HD video using the component attachments on a HD monitor, but not both? Are the component attachments the only way to monitor HD?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Monitoring with Kona LHe and Beta SP
on Mar 4, 2008 at 7:30:47 pm

The Kona LHe works for both SD and HD...and Component and SDI. You can capture SD via component, or HD via component (from an HD deck of course). You can capture SD or HD via the SDI connections to...and you can monitor out SD or HD via the component cables. This card does it all. The only thing it DOESN'T do is upconvert SD to HD and cross convert 720p HD to 1080i HD. That is Kona 3 terratory. But the LHe is a great capture card.

But yes, one set of cables for in and one set for out. And you can either an HD signal or SD signal down those cables. You can also, as I said, monitor HD via HD SDI to a monitor as well.

I have and love this card.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD now for sale!
http://www.LFHD.net
Read my blog!

Return to posts index

Mitch Jordan
on Mar 4, 2008 at 8:35:52 pm

Thanks. That's what I thought. I'm looking forward to all of the new options that I'll have!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 5, 2008 at 7:51:52 am

[Mitch Jordan] " Is it correct that you can either work with component video from the Beta SP deck, or monitor HD video using the component attachments on a HD monitor, but not both?"

Mitch,

I loop the component out of my Kona LH through my SD Sony broadcast monitor and then into my HD monitor. It gives you a "2-fer" on your component out and about every possibility you could want.

I credit Walter Biscardi with this trick, cuz I have to admit, I didn't think it would work, but it does.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]