FORUMS: list search recent posts

KONA 3 Down Convert, Am I Going To Do This Right?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Boyle
KONA 3 Down Convert, Am I Going To Do This Right?
on Feb 29, 2008 at 8:41:37 am

Hello,

I have a question regarding the FCP 6.0.2 Edit To Tape/Print to Video command with a KONA3 (5.1). Before I rent the DIGIBETA at $400/day, will the output from my FCP timeline (Shot in HDV, ingested as PRORES422 1080 29.97 via FW) to the tape match what the KONA Control Panel shows me on the FORMAT tab (Anamorphic, 525i29.97) and on the display? Will this be WYSIWYG?

My final delivery is SD, so I have been monitoring via the Analog out on the Kona3, with the expectation that when I output to tape it will match exactly.
(In FCP, A/V Devices, I have 'Different OutPut for Edit to Tape/PTV' checked, and set to AJA Kona 525i29.97 8Bit720X486, which is how I've been viewing via the KONA)

Is this how the KONA will down convert? I really want to make sure I am making the right assumptions before I start burning cash on the rental and tapes... ;)

Thanks in advance, hope this makes sense.
Mike

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: KONA 3 Down Convert, Am I Going To Do This Right?
on Feb 29, 2008 at 4:20:26 pm

No. Keep FCP in your HD easy setup. Open up your Kona control panel and right click on the frame buffer and change it to 1080i 29.97. Then right click on the proper output triangle (SDI 1, 2 or analog) and choose "secondary" from the drop down menu. Then right click again and choose 525i29.97. You should then see a little down convert icon on the output pipeline.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mike Boyle
on Feb 29, 2008 at 10:45:58 pm

Thanks Jeremy.. Your reply is much appreciated! It makes more sense to not mess around in FCP and let the KONA handle it..I see exactly what you mean in the control panel..

Mike

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Mar 1, 2008 at 6:27:51 pm

This how we deliver our show every week - we have a 720p 23.976 project and use the Kona 3 secondary SDI output downconverted to center cut 29.97 SD - Digibeta looks awesome.

All output conversion is done in AJA hardware/control panel and not FCP. Trick for frame accurate insert from a 24p project is pre-striping tape at 29.97 df.

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index

Michael Alberts
on Mar 2, 2008 at 4:17:46 pm

$400 a day for a DigiBeta!!! Yikes. We never rent ours for more than $300/day now, but that's a Los Angeles rate. On another note, it would be good practice if you monitor the output of the Digibeta while doing your ETT. This was you can ensure you're getting exactly what you want. In addition, I've been told by AJA, and have confirmed with testing, that you should offset your audio by 1 frame. The downconvert and cross-convert delays the picture by one frame. You can do a simple beep test to confirm this. Just place a 2 pop in both the pic/sound and output with ETT doing the downconvert. Then play it back or even capture it to see if the pic/sound line up in the timeline.

Michael Alberts
Ambidextrous Productions, Inc.
http://www.ambidextrous.net

Return to posts index

Mike Boyle
on Mar 5, 2008 at 7:23:08 am

Thanks again to everyone who replied... I am in LA, but I was able to get the deck from Fri-Mon for the price of 2 days.. should have enough time to get everything straightened out, and the tips here are much appreciated!

Mike

MAC PRO 3.0GHz, 5G RAM, OS X 10.5.1,QT 7.4.1(14),FCP 6.0.2, KONA3(5.1), SONY VTR HVR-M25U, SONY HVR-Z1U

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 6, 2008 at 1:25:30 am

[Michael Alberts] "$400 a day for a DigiBeta!!! Yikes. We never rent ours for more than $300/day now, but that's a Los Angeles rate"

$650/day here in Atlanta through Bexel. Complete ripoff to charge that much for an SD deck.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR
The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 7, 2008 at 12:47:31 am

[walter biscardi] "$650/day here in Atlanta through Bexel."

Hot diggity. That's pricey.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]