FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aja Kona UNCOMPRESSED vs DI DA VINCI

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
edo Brizio
Aja Kona UNCOMPRESSED vs DI DA VINCI
on Feb 28, 2008 at 5:41:16 am

We are close to wrap the show and do a film out.
The producer and I don't know if to capture uncompressed hd onlining with final cut and than deliver a file sequence to the da vinci people to do DI and color correct to skip EDLs
In other words what's the difference between go straight to a da vinci or capture and online going through a final cut suite.
Thanks
Ed

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: Aja Kona UNCOMPRESSED vs DI DA VINCI
on Feb 28, 2008 at 6:20:37 pm

That has a lot to do with your lab's workflow, and what format you shot it in. IOW, without a lot more detail, knowbody here can tell you.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

edo brizio
on Mar 4, 2008 at 5:58:49 pm

We shot HD CAM and cut with final cut capturing offline at ntsc dvDVCpro.

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Feb 28, 2008 at 7:08:05 pm

Ed,

This doesn't answer your question specifically because it's rather difficult to answer straight up without a whole bunch more info. I can say the method I bring up below is saving time for some of our customers, which does relate to dollars BUT more importantly it's about the quality (or I would like to think so)

Many of our customers have been using the frame/file method for sometime with much excitement and success, check out the lastest release by Spy Post, one of many houses we have helped step into this. It saves them time and yields the utmost quality. Can you do it all with FCP without headaches, I am not the one to argue that point, ask your fellow peers that you trust to give you an honest answer.

We have always been an advocate of uncompressed all the way thru the pipeline. The tools are all there and much more economical then you may think to produce a product of the utmost quality.

Word of advice. On a film out, make sure the uncompressed capture is not screwing with the colorspace in any way nor the tools your using in the path.

Hope that helps a bit.

Best of luck,
Ramona

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Mar 3, 2008 at 8:33:31 pm

Wouldn't 2K or 4K Cineon/DPX log scans from a datacine offer much greater latitude for CC in a DaVinci than using 10-bit HD video codecs?

What's the highest quality internal processing that DaVinci systems utilize (RGB 32-bit float, etc.)?

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Mar 3, 2008 at 8:35:05 pm

Oops, sorry, I misread the OP. The project is a film OUT, not shot on film. My bad.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Newmark
on Mar 4, 2008 at 3:27:44 pm

[Ramona Howard] "Many of our customers have been using the frame/file method for sometime with much excitement and success, check out the lastest release by Spy Post"

Ramona,

I saw this movie, "The Village Barbershop" last weekend at the Cinequest film festival. It looked great and was a very good movie by the way. The DI was well done.

jeremy

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Mar 4, 2008 at 7:51:02 pm

Jeremy,

SpyPost is a very talented group with all the right toys, er tools.

Ramona

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]