FORUMS: list search recent posts

Component RBG vs. Component YPrPb on LHe

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew Kimball
Component RBG vs. Component YPrPb on LHe
on Feb 27, 2008 at 12:28:19 am

I've just installed my spanking new LHe on my mac pro. Things are looking beautiful, and it's working great. (No offense to Blackmagic, but it's a big step up in terms of flexibility and support from my old BM card...)

One question I have for all those more experienced than me is this:
I am previewing work out of FCS, AE, etc. on a Sony PVM-20M2U 20" production monitor... This monitor accepts both RBG and YPrPb component inputs (I don't have the SDI card for it). And the kona supports both those outputs. I tried them both, and didn't see a drastic difference between them, however, I noticed that I had no chroma control on the monitor in RBG...

The question is - is one better than another - RBG vs. YPrPb? Is one more accurate, faster (because of no conversion to/from a colorspace) better for grading and etc.? Things felt a bit sharper in RGB, but that might have been my imagination...

I'm primarily working in DVCPROHD, ProRes 422, and XDCAM EX, which I believe are YUV, so would YPrPb be better.

Basically I'm not to color space savvy.. Thanks for the help!

Drew Kimball
Principal
//Braintrust Creative//
braintrustcreative.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Component RBG vs. Component YPrPb on LHe
on Feb 27, 2008 at 1:50:22 am

The Japanese manufacturers all recognize Y Pb Pr. RGB is over, and has been over for a long time (except for Discreet). Ever since Beta VTR's, the world (especially for your Sony PVM-20M2U) is Y Pb Pr, and NOT RGB. Y Pb Pr is the same thing as Y, R-Y, B-Y. All modern equipment works this way (especially from Sony, Panasonic, JVC, AVID, etc.).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Mar 4, 2008 at 8:49:02 pm

Bob,

How is HDCAM SR (4:4:4 RGB) typically monitored? Is it converted back to 4:2:2 Y Pb Pr, or monitored as native 4:4:4 RGB? Or does it depend completely on the purpose of the monitoring, i.e. grading or compositing vs. on-set monitoring?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 5, 2008 at 2:53:23 am

[Alan Okey] "How is HDCAM SR (4:4:4 RGB) typically monitored?"

Traditionally with a 4:4:4 ( dual link ) capable monitor from companies like Cinetal, ECinema or Astro.

Yes- you can convert to a single link 4:2:2 HDSDI single, but what good is working in RGB and then monitoring in something far less like If you are going to work in 4:4:4 - then bite the bullet for what it takes to work at that level.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Mar 5, 2008 at 4:59:23 am

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>