FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHe capture problem

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Declan Boylan
Kona LHe capture problem
on Feb 20, 2008 at 12:29:50 pm

Ok have a quad core mac pro 2.5ghz, 5gigs of ram and have two graid2's connected via firewire800.

Trying to capture using the AJA pal 601 25 10bit setting in fcp from digibeta using sdi (from a dvw-a500p - rs422 control).. Now it will capture about 2seconds and then stop and then it will start very slowly framerolling back a frame or two and hold on this for ages. The 8bit and prores hq capture fine.

So, question is has anyone seen this problem before? and how can it be solved?

Now it has occasionaly worked for me in the past, and then other days won't work at all. So from reading other posts i'm looking at it being possible a read/write speed issue to the drive. What speed should i be able to read/write for the 10bit setting?

Also, hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction on this, i'm also looking on finding the best workflow for working on sd projects. We're from an avid symphony background and have moved over to fcp recently. On the avid we work 90% of the time at avid 2:1 compression... now in terms of final cut pro/aja what is the most comparable setting for standard def work? 10bit? 8bit? prores? given that we would like to keep the best possible quality - as we occasionally have the need to go back to the digi footage for cutdowns/re-edits etc...

thanks

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Kona LHe capture problem
on Feb 20, 2008 at 12:35:41 pm

10bit is pushing those G-RAIDs to the limit of what they do. Yes they are technically fast enough for 10bit, but in real-world experience, 10bit SD is something that does not work reliably on FW800 drives.

You want at least a SATA array running in the neighborhood of 125MB/s to ensure smooth operation with 10bit SD.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR
The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]