FORUMS: list search recent posts

LHe or Kona3

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Jones
LHe or Kona3
on Feb 11, 2008 at 5:08:18 pm

We are upgrading our edit suite and are trying to figure out if the LHe is a better fit for our suite than the Kona3 hardware. Price is not a major issue.

Mac 3.3Ghz, 8-core, 8 GB RAM. Software will be Media100HD/FCS2 with most of the graphics work being done in After Effects and the other Adobe apps.

The LHe hardware i/o IS a better fit for our existing decks. We would need an audio AD/DA if we went with the Kona3. I am concerned with any delay we might experience when digitizing or mastering to the analog component decks (betaSP)

I know that the Kona3 does real-time SD to HD, where the LHe only does HD to SD. I don't think we need Dual-Link HD-SDI 4:4:4. Right now we shoot in HDV, DVCAM, and BetaSP. We're looking ahead to XDCAM HD/EX and DVCPRO HD.

Other than that, we want rock solid previews and fast rendering in After Effects and FCP. Are there any acceleration differences between the 2 boards, or is the i/o and conversion capabilities the only big differences?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: LHe or Kona3
on Feb 13, 2008 at 4:38:37 am

[Matt Jones] "I am concerned with any delay we might experience when digitizing or mastering to the analog component decks (betaSP) "

If you go with a Kona 3, you'll need to convert the video from Beta SP component to SDI also as the Kona 3 doesn't have analog inputs. The big advantage that you might gain is using the Kona 3 to upconvert your SD sources to HD upon digitizing. That's something that the LHe doesn't do.

With the analog inputs of the Kona LHe, it makes it really convenient for your BetaSP sources.

Have you considered using the IOHD instead? You'd get upconverting SD sources, HDMI inputs for HDV, component inputs for BetaSP and a bunch of other features. You would be limited to ProRes as the best codec, but that might be really acceptable for your projects.

[Matt Jones] "I don't think we need Dual-Link HD-SDI 4:4:4."

If you're shooting on HDV, XDCAM, or DVCPROHD, you're not going to need Dual-Link.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Kaleidoscope Pictures
Provo, UT

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]