FORUMS: list search recent posts

Half Frame Innacuracy During Output to D-Beta

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Liam Ward
Half Frame Innacuracy During Output to D-Beta
on Feb 8, 2008 at 4:22:08 pm

Hey

I am having a strange problem with frame accuracy during output from FCP to D-Beta.

Regardless of Insert of Assembling the frame accuracy is occasionally spot on and occasionally half a frame off. Have tried everything from enabling all different forms of deck control, offset frame adjustments and had the deck recently serviced - but still the same problem outputting with the Kona LHe card. Seems to completely random in terms of whether it happens or not. Also, the setup is tied through Kona Sync Gen and outputting to Sony DVW-500 D-Beta through RS-422.

Sequence is 29.97 drop frame.

We even had Kona replace the card, but still no solution.

Any Thoughts? Any Help greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Greg Nosaty
Re: Half Frame Innacuracy During Output to D-Beta
on Feb 11, 2008 at 8:37:39 pm

[Liam Ward] "I am having a strange problem with frame accuracy during output from FCP to D-Beta.

Regardless of Insert of Assembling the frame accuracy is occasionally spot on and occasionally half a frame off. "

I'm having the same problem, edit to tape is offset by 1 field. Plus it take 3 0r 4 attempts before an edit to tape will lock. I have most success if I restart the Mac and FCP each time I do an output.

The other problem I'm having is an audio offset issue when trying to up, down or cross convert my sequence. AJA told me I have to offset the audio by 1 frame when outputting with conversion.

$3500 for a Kona 3 card that can't actually do some of it's main selling features! Come on guys, get it together.

cheers,
Greg Nosaty

Cinemontage Productions Inc

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 13, 2008 at 1:15:04 am

[Greg Nosaty] "The other problem I'm having is an audio offset issue when trying to up, down or cross convert my sequence. AJA told me I have to offset the audio by 1 frame when outputting with conversion. "

I thought the offset was 2 frames ( same as most HDtape formats) audio

"I'm having the same problem, edit to tape is offset by 1 field. Plus it take 3 0r 4 attempts before an edit to tape will lock. I have most success if I restart the Mac and FCP each time I do an output."

Greg
your complaint has little merritt if you do not list hardware and Software versions.
if you are running FCP 5.14 on anything later than 10.4.8/ QT 7.3.1 you did it to your self.

what format are you starting with?
how was it captured
field order it was captured at?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Greg Nosaty
on Feb 14, 2008 at 5:21:15 pm

[gary adcock] "your complaint has little merritt if you do not list hardware and Software versions"

What has little merit Gary is Apple and AJA over promising and under delivering. My clients won't accept this business model, why should I?

I'm using the latest version of FCS on a 3Ghz Intel quad with Kona LH and a 3Ghz intel octacore
with Kona 3 all with the latest drivers. Our media is DVCPro 720p24 and ProRes HQ. The only suite that is not giving me grief is my G5 dual 2Ghz with Black Magic Extreme. It's rock solid all the time.

But none of this really matters. Every suite I've been in touch with here in Vancouver are experiencing these issues with FCP and Kona. AJA admits that there are issues when I've talked with them. But they don't have the courtesy to let the users know this before they buy the products or at least post warnings and work-arounds on the support page or in the documentation.

So when exactly are we supposed to upgrade our OS, applications and drivers? once they are outdated and have been replaced by yet another set of updates? Or when you tell The Cow it's OK to do so?

cheers,
Greg Nosaty

Return to posts index

del chapple
on Feb 15, 2008 at 11:55:10 pm

put the DBC in 2f lock.

del

you cant hear my inner voice scream... can you..?

Return to posts index

Greg Nosaty
on Feb 16, 2008 at 12:20:02 am

[del chapple] "put the DBC in 2f lock. "

Capstan Lock makes no difference.

cheers,
Greg Nosaty

Return to posts index

del chapple
on Feb 16, 2008 at 12:33:06 am

I have had issues with 720p59.94, but in FCP you can slip the tape by a field(i know there are no fields in 720p) like the old Soundmaster Editor does. I however am having issues with 720p59 D5 to HDCamSR, the video is coming in on f2. I know there are no field identifiers in 720p(my head keeps going back to that)but still im scratching my head..??

del

Return to posts index

Greg Nosaty
on Feb 16, 2008 at 12:53:38 am

[del chapple] "I have had issues with 720p59.94, but in FCP you can slip the tape by a field"

I have never seen any function in FCP, including deck control presets, that allow you to slip a field, only frames.

All the issues I've talked about regard the Kona are during up, down or cross conversions. It has been fairly reliable outputting SD to SD or HD to HD for me.

cheers,
Greg Nosaty

Return to posts index

del chapple
on Feb 16, 2008 at 2:42:03 am

if you take a 720p59 file in FCP and select it so that it appears in the viewer, step forward with your -> and watch the Time code of the file, you'll notice that the TC counter moves every second time you hit the -> key, thats it you can trim the file to literally 59.94 fps because there are no feilds. obviously 1080i really has feilds and 2 are required for a frame.

del

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]