FORUMS: list search recent posts

Phantom-Power Not Compatible With The Kona LHe?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cory McKechnie
Phantom-Power Not Compatible With The Kona LHe?
on Feb 7, 2008 at 3:49:55 pm

With lots of time on my hands waiting for my new MacPro, I came across the following in the FAQ section on aja.com regarding the Kona LHe:

Q: Can I input a phantom-powered audio source into the Xena/Kona-LS/LH/Io? (Some professional audio sources supply 48 Volts at the connector, usually referred to as "phantom power.")

A: No, applying phantom-powered audio sources can cause permanent damage to the products audio circuits. The same holds true when connecting the Xena/Kona-LS/LH/Io to a mixer mic input with phantom power left on. We highly recommend connecting to the mixer line input instead.

Please excuse my ignorance, but am I too understand that the Kona LHe can't accept a mixer that has Phantom Power turned on? Or is this just referring to connecting Phantom Power "directly" to the Kona LHe? I'm picking up (hopefully today if the shipment arrives) the Soundcraft EPM6, but now I'm concerned/confused. Can someone set me straight. It seems highly illogical that I wouldn't be able to use the mixer with Phantom Power while capturing VO's, but I also don't want to fry my $1500 purchase.

Thank you,
Cory

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Phantom-Power Not Compatible With The Kona LHe?
on Feb 7, 2008 at 4:16:15 pm

The KOna can't accept mic phantom powered signals. If your mixer has phantom power, make sure that mic signal is converted to line (which most mixers convert to line anyway).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Cory McKechnie
on Feb 7, 2008 at 4:42:44 pm

Shoot, I didn't think I might have to replace the mic as well. Thanks Jeremy. I've emailed Soundcraft as I can't find the info or their website or in the manual. I'd rather have to replace the mic as opposed the the Kona!!
Cory

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 7, 2008 at 4:59:01 pm

[Cory McKechnie] "Shoot, I didn't think I might have to replace the mic as well."

Why? You are fine.

Return to posts index

Cory McKechnie
on Feb 7, 2008 at 5:05:03 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Why? You are fine."

What do you mean? Now I'm really confused! :)

I have a condenser microphone, which will need the Phantom Power from the mixer. If Soundcraft comes back and says that the mixer doesn't convert to line as you said, then I'll have to replace the mic to a dynamic mic, won't I?

Again, sorry for my ignorance on this. Audio has never really been my strong point and I'm trying to learn as I go, building this system.

Cory

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Feb 7, 2008 at 5:15:09 pm

[Cory McKechnie] "have a condenser microphone, which will need the Phantom Power from the mixer."

What exactly are you trying to do- since that was not in your original post.

I ask this as you do not seem to understand that Phantom Power only affects the mic recordings and not the line feed out of the mixer into the Kona Card.

Are you trying to record vocals directly into your Kona?
Why are you sending Power on the line out:?

"if Soundcraft comes back and says that the mixer doesn't convert to line"
there is usually a physical switch next to the output that sez "mic or line"

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Mo Kahn
on Feb 7, 2008 at 5:29:41 pm

We've got a soundcract mixer and there is no switch to convert between Mic and Line...what they do have, which i expect is equivalent to providing mic or line, are x2 1/4-inch jacks below the female 'MIC' XLR's.

I agree with what Jeremy has said....we've gone mixer output
into Kona

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 7, 2008 at 5:22:02 pm

You plug the phantom powered mic into your mixer and send it phantom power. You feed the line out of your mixer to the Kona. Done.

Return to posts index

Cory McKechnie
on Feb 7, 2008 at 5:30:53 pm

OK, I think I confused myself and hence the situation. I'll capture via the Mic input with XLR and Phantom Power turned on. Simultaneously, I'll be outputting via the XLR Mix-L and Mix-R and this will be fine.

http://www.soundcraft.com/download.asp?filename=images/products/product_she...

Sorry, what I was worried about with that if the mixer itself had Phantom Power turned on at all, it would mess up the Kona (again, my ignorance of audio is shining through). If I under you and Gary correctly, the Phantom Power from the mixer will only be supplied through the Mic input and therefore the Mix-L/R will not have Phantom Power and as such will not affect the Kona.

If this is what you're both saying, then I think I understand now.

Cory

Return to posts index

David Smith
on Feb 7, 2008 at 5:44:36 pm

[Cory McKechnie] " If I under you and Gary correctly, the Phantom Power from the mixer will only be supplied through the Mic input and therefore the Mix-L/R will not have Phantom Power and as such will not affect the Kona. "

You are understanding them correctly. Phantom power is supplied on INPUTS, to provide power for your mic when required. Your mixer's OUTPUT, which you are sending to your Kona card, will not have power on it.

I believe Mo has it right about the line level and mic level outputs. My Hill Multimix mixer is the same way. Line out is via 1/4" jacks, mic level is on XLR connectors. I use 1/4" to xlr adaptor cables to send line level signals to my Kona LH.

Regards,
David

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 7, 2008 at 5:50:38 pm

[Cory McKechnie] " If I under you and Gary correctly, the Phantom Power from the mixer will only be supplied through the Mic input and therefore the Mix-L/R will not have Phantom Power and as such will not affect the Kona. "

Correct.

Return to posts index

Cory McKechnie
on Feb 7, 2008 at 5:59:04 pm

OK, thanks again everyone for clearing this issue up for me. I honestly can't wait until I just have the system and can actually start doing some different kind of work, rather than all this researching :)
Take care,
Cory

Return to posts index

Ron Thompson
on Feb 8, 2008 at 3:30:00 pm

I just replaced my cables recently with 1/4" to XLR to avoid this problem. I read a post a while ago about this. I figure better safe just running thru 1/4" on my Mackie than trying to figure out whether or not phantom power is going to destroy my card.
As a habit I keep phantom power off when I don't need it.

RIOT Productions
G5, Kona LH, FCS2, CalDigit

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]