FORUMS: list search recent posts

LHe Downconverting problem

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Costa
LHe Downconverting problem
on Feb 5, 2008 at 11:35:00 am

I'm doing my first ever HD job.
We've got lots of lovely footage on XD CAM EX (1080i/50) and it looks GREAT on the computer screen but it looks AWFUL on the 625/50 PAL broadcast monitor. We are using the LHe for real-time HD to SD down-conversion.

For this part of the job the client wants output to PAL Digibeta, so I had thought of just feeding the other SDI output of the LHe to the DigiBeta and letting the card do all the work, but not if it looks like this!

I tried converting some of the footage to ProRes 625 and it looked fine on the broadcast monitor, so the issue is with the down-conversion. Is there something I'm missing regarding why this looks so bad? By bad, I mean ... it's hard to describe .... like only every second line of resolution is being used. And the image is sort of shimmery and unstable, almost like there's a field problem, but reversing the fields does nothing. People look like they're badly keyed against the background (in real life, non-keyed shots!)

I know I can simply render the project to a 625 based codec before output, but the client will want to conduct the editing session while he watches along on the broadcast monitor.

Thanks for any insight.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: LHe Downconverting problem
on Feb 5, 2008 at 8:13:16 pm

Obviously, something is setup wrong.

In FCP, hit control-q and choose the HD easy setup that you are working in so that FCP is sending HD to the Kona. The Kona handles all the down conversion, not FCP, keep that in mind.

Then open up your Kona Control Panel and right click on the output triangle you need to down convert and choose the 'secondary' option. Right click on the output again and choose 625i.

You should be downconverted now as evidence of the trianlge turning green and a down convert icon.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Costa
Re: LHe Downconverting problem
on Feb 5, 2008 at 10:56:40 pm

Thanks Jeremy - Aja support got to me as well and you were both right. I wasn't sending 1080 to the card. I was directing FCP to feed 625 to the card, thinking (or rather NOT thinking) that the down-convert would happen because I had 625 selected with the AJA Control Panel.

Of course this is obviously dumb. I need to feed 1080 to the card from FCP and THEN direct the AJA Control Panel to down-convert. Now it looks great! Thanks for chiming in.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]