FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lost analog audio output from Kona 3

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Matthies
Lost analog audio output from Kona 3
on Feb 1, 2008 at 10:40:32 pm

The subuect pretty much says it all. I normally use an AJA Io for SD work and the Kona 3 for HD. I loaded up an HD project today and I can't get analog audio out of the board's RCA connectors on the K3 panel. It always worked in the past. All the outputs do is go from the RCA connectors on the K3 to a patch cable and directly to the inputs of a mixer. The mixer inputs are OK when checked with a different signal, so I can rule the mixer out. The RCA cables are fine as well. Everything works right back to the K3. All of the other outputs on the box are working...just not the analog monitor audio.
Anyone know of any "gotchas" that might cause this? Wrong settings? Operator error?
Running Final Cut 5.1.4 on a Quad G5 under 10.4.10. Quicktime 7.2.
To the best of my knowledge, nothings been updated recently.
The audio worked last time I did an HD project a few weeks ago.
???
Thanks,
Tom

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Lost analog audio output from Kona 3
on Feb 1, 2008 at 10:56:06 pm

I worked on a Kona 3 system today, installing new drives, and could not get the audio to work. After 10 minutes, I realized that I never plugged back the K3 box cables back into the Kona 3 (you DO have a K3 box - right ? ).

#1 - FORGET FINAL CUT PRO. Open up your AJA Kona Control Panel - put a SDI or HD-SDI source (Digi Beta or HD VTR) into HD IN 1 of your Kona 3. Select EMBEDDED AUDIO on the input tab. Play a tape into the Kona 3 (that has audio on the tape) - do you hear audio? I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT FINAL CUT PRO, OR YOUR TESTING WITH FINAL CUT PRO. You do maintenance tests like this with the AJA CONTROL PANEL, not with Final Cut Pro.

Let me know.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Feb 1, 2008 at 11:14:29 pm

Sorry Bob
I already tried that. I noticed that I could not monitor audio while capturing HDSDI from the deck. Even with Final Cut not running and my HD source going into the Kona, I still can't hear audio. The Kona 3 control panel was running and avtive. I then fired up Final Cut and pulled up an old HD project and it's the same story. No analog audio.
All other inputs and outputs seem to be working so I don't think it's the connector to the card on the back of the G5. And, yes, the card is connected to the K3 breakout box.
Weird...and it always seems to happen just before quiting time on a Friday night after a 56 hour week.
Tom

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Feb 1, 2008 at 11:36:59 pm

For grina I just tried bringing in SD SDI video thru the Kona card. With only the Kona Control Panel running, I can't hear any audio using the embedded inputs (Digibeta source).
If I fire up Final Cut and go to log & Capture and hit the "Preview" audio button, I get the audio just fine outputting thru the Mac's speakers. I see the audio meters indicating signal also. However, I'm still getting no output from the Kona's analog audio jacks. So the embedded audio is there are it's getting thru the Kona to FCP, just doesn't seem to be getting out of the K3 box RCA jacks. Since I have a mixer with only analog audio inputs, I can't hear the Kona audio for editing. I can listen to the Mac output, but it's obviously going to be way out of sync. I have an Aja HDP that will dissembed the audio from the HDSDI stream. It has analog outputs and an HD pass thru. I may have to put that inline going to my HD monitor to pick the audio off from there.

Just to be sure also I checked the connector on the back of the G5 and it's nice and tight. I climbed behind the rack and the connector on the K3 is also tight.
This is going to turn out being one of those "Homer Moments" yet. You know, D'oh... I just wanna go home...
Tom

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 2, 2008 at 1:30:09 am

1) fully unplug, and replug the cable on the computer end and on the K3 Box end (be brave - do this with power on). Does it come back ?

Since the Kona 3 doesn't have analog out without this break out box, and it could be ANYTHING, you are going to have to ask AJA to start replacing things - first the K3 box and cable set, and then (very very very unlikely) the Kona 3 itself. Certainly get another K3 box (and cables) but if you still have the same problem, I would bet that you STILL have a problem with your local audio cables or mixer before I would blame the actual Kona 3 card (but I could be wrong).

If you get another K3 box and cables, and it still doesn't work, then put the effort out to FULLY REPLACE THE CABLES going from the K3 box to the mixer (and I mean every damn adaptor that you might be using, and different inputs on the mixer).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Feb 2, 2008 at 2:16:47 am

Thanks Bob.
I'll check it out more fully tomorrow after getting a little rest tonight. Long week...
The path to the mixer is pretty straightforward. It's simply an RCA pair going directly from the K3 to the input on the mixer. Just to be sure, I plugged my iPod, for an unbalanced source, onto the same cables that go from the K3 to the mixer and it sounds fine. Cable is OK. Mixer is OK. Tomorrow I'll take the cable off of the Kona and the K3, clean it with some good contact cleaner and put it back on the card. I'll also open up the Mac and make sure that the card is seated as well. I doubt this will affect anything but it won't hurt. If it's still a no-go, I'll give AJA support a call/email on Monday morning. If the HD Data stream is still good, I can dodge the bullet by using the Aja converter and pick the audio off on the way to the monitor. Not too difficult to rig and it'll buy me some time to get through the edit.
I'm always inclined to blame it on O.E. but I guess that every now and then things do actually break. I'll post back here when I finally narrow the problem back down.
Tom

Return to posts index

Harley Michailuck
on Feb 2, 2008 at 1:36:05 pm

[Tom Matthies] "Tomorrow I'll take the cable off of the Kona and the K3, clean it with some good contact cleaner and put it back on the card."

While you've got the cable off reverse it end for end. This happened to me once on a Kona 2 and reversing the plug ends fixed the problem... worth a try.

Best,
Harley

Harley Michailuck
Brass Orchid Post fx
Saskatoon, SK Canada

http://www.brassorchid.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 2, 2008 at 5:45:21 pm

I know this seems stupid, but AJA will probably suggest this, so you might as well do it now. Uninstall your AJA drivers, reboot, and reinstall your AJA drivers, and try it all over again. This will probabably do nothing, but it will not be good if you get the new K3 box and cables, and it does the same thing.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Feb 4, 2008 at 3:06:48 pm

Hi guys:

FWIW, my K3 box lost the analog audio. AJA tech support ran me through the same drill Bob is recommending and we came to the conclusion that the analog audio output stage on the K3 box was bad. They sent me a new one with an RA number and I sent mine back.

AJA has the best customer support. But yes, you do need to narrow down the possibilities.

Dan

Providing value added material to all of your favorite DVDs

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Feb 5, 2008 at 4:52:40 pm

This has happened to me a couple of times on a K3 system owned by a client. In my case, we still had audio coming down the SDI cable.

What fixed it for us was when Aja tech support had me zap the P-RAM on the Mac. To do this, you shutdown the Mac, & restart it holding down the command-option-p-r keys (it helps to have 3 hands!). Keep those keys down until you hear the startup chime 3 times. After the 3rd chime, let go & let the Mac startup.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Feb 6, 2008 at 1:08:25 pm

Thanks Arnie.
Zapping the P-RAM did the trick. The analog audio output is back! Glad it wasn't something more serious requiring hardware replacement.
Just in time too. The HD edit is this afternoon.
Tom

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Feb 6, 2008 at 2:56:43 pm

My pleasure! You can buy me a beer next time you're in New York.

Arnie

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Feb 6, 2008 at 5:11:38 pm

I'll buy you a brat 'n a beer of you ever get to Green Bay!
Thanks again.
Tom

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Feb 6, 2008 at 6:28:29 pm

You're on!

Arnie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>