FORUMS: list search recent posts

KONA LHe - sync/drift issue

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michelle Tesoro
KONA LHe - sync/drift issue
on Jan 31, 2008 at 11:10:14 pm

Hello,
Anyone have any advice for video sync/drift/latency issues with the LHe? When i play picture out to a monitor the video looks like it's playing in slow motion, while the audio keeps up to what's playing on my computer monitor. Here is my setup:

FCP 6.0.1, OSX 10.5
Processor: Intel Xeon Core Duo 2 x 2.66
Memory: 4GB
Striped SATA drives (2 x 750GB)
Footage HDV 1080i60, 1440x1080, 29.97 (Data Rate 3.0 MB/sec) - total 350 GB on drive
TV: Standard Definition - Composite Y/C (set on the AJA Control panel as a downconverted 525i29.97)
Kona Driver: 5.1

when i play my footage in FCP - it is in sync, and plays fine without frame drops or overrun issues. the only issue is that when i play out of the KONA on to our TV the picture drifts. Please help!

Thanks,
Michelle

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: KONA LHe - sync/drift issue
on Feb 1, 2008 at 9:25:45 pm

Hi Michelle -
I bet you are monitoring your audio thru the MAC, and not thru the Kona LHe. YOU CANT DO THIS. You MUST monitor your audio from the audio outputs of your Kona LHe card. "But I don't have the correct cables to do this" - well, go out and GET the correct cables so you can monitor the audio output of the Kona LHe. The Audio out of the MAC stereo mini connector is NOT in sync with the video output of the Kona LHe. (or any other video card).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Michelle Tesoro
on Feb 1, 2008 at 10:52:31 pm

Bob,

Ha! I wouldn't "bet" on anything. choosing 2 different playback modes would be obviously incorrect. Of course I am NOT monitoring audio out of the mac. In video playback settings, I have selected AJA Kona as my audio playback. thanks for trying.

I am on the horn with KONA, and if I find out what the deal is I'll let everyone know. also, i have tried going audio out of the KONA to the TV (instead of my stand-alone speakers) and I have the same problem.

Thanks anyway,
Michelle

Return to posts index

Thomas Tomchak
on Mar 24, 2008 at 8:53:49 pm

Did you get this problem resolved? I'm having the same issues, and it only happens when using ProRes. Funny enough, restarting the computer fixes the problem, but only for a few hours before it starts again.

Thomas Tomchak - President, Edit Creations, Inc.
http://www.edit-creations.com, http://www.suitetake.com

Return to posts index

Michelle Tesoro
on Mar 25, 2008 at 4:22:11 pm

Hi there,
No, unfortunately this problem did not get resolved (i had to actually get back to editing the film), and my work around was to just use my second computer monitor as my playback monitor. My audio is still going out of the Kona Card. Good luck, and please post if you get the issue resolved.
thanks,
Michelle

Return to posts index

Thomas Tomchak
on Mar 25, 2008 at 5:54:12 pm

I'm still working to resolve it, but I did find a few things that "fixed" it.

I've noticed that it happens more as time goes on, and that having lots of other programs open seem to have an effect on it. It appears to be memory related. In most cases, if I just close all of the programs that are open the sequence will start playing back fine and in sync.

It appears that the video starts to lag behind, not so much that the audio is ahead.

Restarting the computer always fixes it for at least a few hours.

I'm running a Mac Pro Quad 3ghz with 4 gigs of RAM.

I'm sent a message to AJA so if anything sold comings out of it I'll post it here.

Thomas Tomchak - President, Edit Creations, Inc.
http://www.edit-creations.com, http://www.suitetake.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 2, 2008 at 1:33:31 am

Michelle writes -
When i play picture out to a monitor the video looks like it's playing in slow motion

REPLY - exactly what footage did you capture. What Easy Setup did you capture with ? Is it 23.98 material? If you go to Audio/Video Settings, what is the last tab (Playback) set to right now ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Michelle Tesoro
on Feb 2, 2008 at 7:31:25 am

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your help -

Here are my specs:

Footage captured via Firewire - HDV 1080i60 (1080i 29.97) - MOS no sound

Sound: imported .WAV files 4ch. hand-synced.

Video Playback Setting: AJA Kona LH 1080i29.97 8bit
Audio Playback Setting: AJA Kona

I spoke with a tech person at AJA, and they said that for the Video Playback Setting I should be able to choose AJA Kona LH 1080i29.97 Apple Pro Res 422 from the list. I looked for this but it is not one of the choices for video playback. it IS however a choice in the sequence preset. I had tried to capture the video using this setting, but had problems capturing on the fly this way (timecode errors), and was never able to capture the material this way without losing resolution. so the only way i was able to capture is via firewire. i'm supposed to talk to the tech again on monday.

all advise is greatly appreciated!

Michelle

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 7, 2008 at 3:48:47 am

[Michelle Tesoro] "I spoke with a tech person at AJA, and they said that for the Video Playback Setting I should be able to choose AJA Kona LH 1080i29.97 Apple Pro Res 422 from the list."

Choose the 10bit setting for ProRes.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Elijah Astley
on Apr 8, 2008 at 2:29:39 am

Hi guys,

Have you run Expansion Slot Utility to make sure the card is getting enough speed through the PCI-E Lanes.

Macintosh HDD>System>Library>Core Services>Expansion Slot utility

Make sure the LHe is in slot 3 or 4 (counting from the bottom up) and give it 4x speed in blue. Ignore the yellow on the diagrams. It is VERY IMPORTANT that you video card (slot1) continues to receive 16x in blue as well.

Return to posts index

D. Gregor Hagey
on Mar 24, 2009 at 7:45:34 pm

I'm having the same problem in Final Cut Pro. I have the Kona LHe. Sync does get worse over time. Quitting FCP and eventually restarting solves the problem for a while. I have trashed prefs a few times only to have the problem return. I have 16GB of memory. My sequences are usually 1080p 23.98 ProRes HQ. Sometimes it seems the entire system is running out of sync including anything I watch online with Safari.

Gregor

Return to posts index

Ben Robinson
on Jul 1, 2009 at 5:24:25 pm

Hi Have you resolved your sync problem as I am experiencing the same. Tried all the usual stuff but nothing has worked so far.

Ben

Return to posts index

Michelle Tesoro
on Jul 1, 2009 at 7:04:57 pm

I have not been working on the system since so I was not able to try all of the suggestions listed onthis thread. We never got it to work, but i would try all the suggestions posted on this thread before switching to a different card altogether.

Return to posts index

Yari Rodas
on Aug 6, 2010 at 6:27:23 pm

I've modified my card speed settings using the Expansion Slot Utility and that fixed the problem! =)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]