FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will a Kona LSe Work For Me?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cory McKechnie
Will a Kona LSe Work For Me?
on Jan 25, 2008 at 3:56:29 am

Hello all, I'm building a new home editing system for myself and I'm wondering if the Kona LSe will work for me. Walter has been extremely helpful (thanks Walter) but based on my system and mixer, a Phonic MM 502, I've put together a mockup of what I need to get in and out and I'm hoping I can get your opinions if this will work for me. I'm going to try and get the Sony Minidisc in/out of my newly ordered MacPro before I try and run it through the Kona LSe, but if not I think this is what I'll need to do.

If you can offer any thoughts and/or suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cory-mckechnie/Mac%20Connection%20Diagram.jpg
http://home.cogeco.ca/~cory-mckechnie/Phonic%20MM502.jpg

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Will a Kona LSe Work For Me?
on Jan 25, 2008 at 4:31:26 am

How are you planning on splitting the out of your mixer to your speakers AND Kona?

It appears that you only have only one main out on the mixer and no submix of any sort.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Cory McKechnie
on Jan 25, 2008 at 1:02:55 pm

Hmm Jeremy, you're right. That's silly of me, I was using the 2T RTN and 2T REC with my old Audiophile 2496, which of course won't work with this setup. Hmm, any thoughts on a small mixer that I could purchase to make this setup work?
Thanks for pointing that out for me!!
Cory

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 25, 2008 at 4:09:54 pm

Something like this will work if you want cheap:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Eurorack-UB802-Mixer?sku=6...

or this (which is still cheap)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-Xenyx-1204FX?sku=631268

will give you more options as the control room out (alt 3/4 on this mixer) and the main out become separate busses if you need them. Good for putting your speakers on alt 3/4 and your deck on the main outs. This will allow all kinds of flexible monitoring.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Cory McKechnie
on Jan 25, 2008 at 5:12:30 pm

Thanks Jeremy, i'll have a look at those. I also spoke with an ex-DJ here at work you said he has a couple mixers at home that he might be able to part with. I'm probably going to have a look at those, but if they don't work out i'll certainly have to pick up one of these mixers.

Another question you might be able to help me with, I'm trying to get the digital coax out of the Minidisc into the Kona, but i'm wondering if the new MacPro's digital in/out would allow me to go directly into it. Any thoughts?

As always, thanks for any help you can offer.
Cory

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 25, 2008 at 5:19:14 pm

I think I helped to answer that on your last post in the FCP forum. I think trying to use that will be fine, but test it. if not you have to get a coax to AES converter. I mentioned the FLying cow but I think it's discontinued so you should probably get the CO3 from MAudio.

The other thing you can do is record your minidisc stuff into soundtrack pro and then take that file to FCP. You won't need a KOna for that. If you need to capture through FCP for some reason, then try the coax to MacPro. As long as you don't have to capture video that's in sync with the minidisc, you should be good.

If your DJ buddy is trying to sell you a DJ mixer, don't do it.

Return to posts index

Cory McKechnie
on Jan 25, 2008 at 5:32:20 pm

Oh sorry Jeremy, I didn't realize it was you :) I am certainly going to take your suggestions, just thought I'd post it in the more appropriate forum now that I think I'm leaning towards picking up the Kona LSe. I looked at the C02 (or I guess it's the C03 now) and that looked like a good solution. I guess there's no real reason not to just to capture the Minidisc into Soundtrack Pro, I never thought of that, so thanks again :)

I'm not sure it's a "DJ-Mixer" so much as a mixer he used when he DJ'ed weddings.

Cory

Return to posts index

Cory McKechnie
on Jan 26, 2008 at 1:10:49 am

Jeremy, how does this setup look:

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cory-mckechnie/Mac%20Connection%20Diagram%20-%20Revi...

Also, is there a difference between the Behringer Xenyx 1204FX and the Behringer Xenyx 1204, other than the Effects and the $30 price difference? :)

Cory

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2008 at 2:15:04 am

The diagram looks pretty good. If you end up getting the co3, then you will simply add that in between your minidisc and the Kona AES. I bet the MacPro input will work, though.

As far as the mixers, it appears that the fx will cost you and it looks like they give you stereo fader pair on alt 3/4 on the 1204fx. the 1204 has a single fader for alt 3/4.

You don't have to get that particular mixer. i just found something that had the right outputs and Behringer is cost effective. You basically need something with a control room/submix out that can be selectably monitored. This will help to prevent feedback when you monitor the return from a deck or other recording device.

Here's a Mackie that will work as well:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MAC1202VLZIII

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Cory McKechnie
on Jan 26, 2008 at 5:46:42 am

Thanks for all the help Jeremy. I'm going to head down to my local music store tomorrow and check out their selection of mixers.
Cory

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2008 at 5:13:59 pm

Perfect idea.

Return to posts index

Cory McKechnie
on Jan 26, 2008 at 8:33:00 pm

Jeremy, I went down and my local dealer had a Fostex DS8 in stock and sold it to me for $69 ... so it may be a little overkill, but it's actually cheaper than the M-Audio CO2.

As for a mixer, they suggested the Soundcraft EPM8 (http://www.soundcraft.com/product_sheet.asp?product_id=136) ... he said it will do everything I need and again, it might be a little overkill for my needs but the quality and expandability of the Soundcraft EPM8 make it a good choice for me.

Any thoughts?
Cory

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2008 at 10:31:40 pm

Yeah, dude. That'll do it. Good work.

Return to posts index

Cory McKechnie
on Jan 27, 2008 at 6:08:41 am

OK, this might be a silly question at this point as what I have seems like it will be fine. However, as I'm thinking about the possibilities of inputting DVD via component with the Kona, is there such a thing as a straight Optical S/DIF to AES/EBU to connector to input the DS8 into the Kona card as well? I've come across the Hosa ODL-312 (http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/products/odl-312.html#) which will do this, but I'm concerned that putting another box between the source and the Kona will affect the quality.

Am I just shooting for the moon to believe that there is such a glorious "single cable" solution to get Optical S/DIF to AES/EBU?

Thanks again for all the help in the process Jeremy, I really do appreciate it!!
Cory

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 27, 2008 at 4:28:45 pm

[Cory McKechnie] "However, as I'm thinking about the possibilities of inputting DVD via component with the Kona, is there such a thing as a straight Optical S/DIF to AES/EBU to connector to input the DS8 into the Kona card as well?"

There's a few things wrong here. I f you are planning on recording Hollywood movies, this won't work due to copy protection. If for some reason these aren't hollywood flicks, I would not capture via component, but rather I would use a program like MPEG Streamclip (it's free) to transcode the VOB files to whatever format you are working in.

If for some reason you do need to capture optical, your MacPro has an optical in and an optical out port.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Cory McKechnie
on Jan 27, 2008 at 5:14:58 pm

Hey Jeremy, it wouldn't be for copy-protected movies, but rather if clients provided footage on DVD. As for the audio, I was being a bit silly I think trying to get everything through the Kona, but going through the MacPro itself is probably the beast (and easiest) way to go.
Thanks again,
Cory

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 27, 2008 at 6:20:57 pm

If you are capturing video through the KOna and audio through the optical, it will be out of sync. If a client supplies a DVD, your best bet is to use MPEG Streamclip. It's super easy to use and it's free, did I mention it's free?

I should also add that you can capture analog audio via the DVD player so that the audio and video are routed through the Kona. Everything should be in sync by then.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Cory McKechnie
on Jan 27, 2008 at 8:36:37 pm

Hmm, MPEG Streamclip looks like a winner ... free, I always like free :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]