FORUMS: list search recent posts

LHe: Weird playback of 23.98/24 sources

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Huebscher
LHe: Weird playback of 23.98/24 sources
on Jan 19, 2008 at 9:29:10 pm

Cross posted in the FCP forum:

I'm onlining a project shot with the Varicam in 23.98 mode. I am using an AJ-HD1400 deck, and coming in via SDI to ProRes 1080/23.98sf via an Aja LHe. I am using a PVM-14L5/1 to monitor.

All the footage looks fine when it's playing through the deck in the capture window. Trouble is, as soon as I play the footage back off my hard drive, there is a repetitive sort of dropping of frames. It looks like a pull down issue (though there is nothing to "pull down" right?). Monitoring is done via the 1080/23.98sf setting, and my monitor confirms the format at 1080/48i.

Brand new Mac Pro 2.8 Octo, only 2GB RAM at the moment as it is backordered. Capturing to an internal SATA RAID (3 x 750GB drives striped in RAID 0). Again, the system is only a few days old and was purchased new.

I've seen this before when dropping native 24/23.98 material into a 29.97 SD timeline, rendering, and playing out.

I've tried changing the workflow to 24 (resetting the deck, etc.), but it's exactly the same.

Any ideas? Deck has to go back on Monday so any help is appeciated!

Thanks,
Andrew Huebscher
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Andrew Huebscher
Re: LHe: Weird playback of 23.98/24 sources
on Jan 19, 2008 at 10:57:38 pm

A few more things to add after some trial and error:

-Working in uncompressed does NOT exhibit this problem.
-The ProRes QT does NOT have trouble playing on the desktop

Therefore, the problem seems to be related to the Kona LHe and ProRes. Might I see this problem go away when I upgrade my RAM from 2GB to 8GB in a few days?

Thanks,
Andrew

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]