FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: AJ-HD1400 Capture issue (again)

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Garchow
OT: AJ-HD1400 Capture issue (again)
on Jan 18, 2008 at 3:24:41 pm

Not a deal breaker, but I thought I had it figured out, but alas I am foiled again.

When batch capturing from a 1400, why do I have have to take the deck off of remote, spin up the tape so it catches the tc from the tape, then flip back to remote?

The way it is now, the tc is left over from the tape that has just been ejected, I put in a new tape with different timecode and tell FCP to capture. The deck will not pickup the tc from the tape that is in the machine, but instead will use the old tc and begin rewind/fast forwarding to try and find the tc which is now probably an hour off (if tape 1 starts @ hour 1 and tape 2 starts at hour 2). What switch am I not throwing? What's the switch that will tell the deck to take a tc cue from the incoming tape?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: OT: AJ-HD1400 Capture issue (again)
on Jan 18, 2008 at 3:50:09 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "
When batch capturing from a 1400, why do I have have to take the deck off of remote, spin up the tape so it catches the tc from the tape, then flip back to remote?"

You don't have to, but you do need to let the new tape load before you tell FCP to capture. The TC flips over to the new tape once the tape has spun up. If you hit Capture before the tape loads, then FCP will give you a TC error.

At least that's how it works on our 2 1400's.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR
The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 18, 2008 at 3:59:32 pm

Hmm. What happens to me is that the tape goes in, rocks back and forth a few frames (which means to me the tape is spinning up) but when it rocks back and forth it doesn't pick up the new tc. I wait and wait and it still doesn't pick up the new tc. I have to take it off of remote, hit play to grab the tc, put it back in remote then hit capture. It's a bit annoying. I have to toggle more menus.

Thanks for the response.

Return to posts index

David Brier
on Jan 18, 2008 at 6:54:32 pm

I've seen the issue, but I usually resolve it by spinning the tape until I see the TC moving, and then go to capture. This also happens with any other deck (D-Beta, SP), FCP needs to see the TC before it can capture TC sources. If you are parked at the end of the tape, for example (like may field sources), FCP may not be able to rock back and forth and find the TC itself, requiring user input to spin back to find the TC and then capture.

Not sure if this is the case, but sometimes the VITC and LTC are mismatched, and you have to select one or the other (Usually LTC). Not sure if this is a menu item for 1400, but you've got those switches on D-Beta and SP decks.

David Brier
http://www.postopmedia.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 18, 2008 at 7:08:56 pm

This is the only deck I have a problem with, and it's happened across different decks (same model). I can't figure it out. It can be in the middle of the tape, it just won't let go of the old tc until you play it.

Thanks for the response.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jan 18, 2008 at 7:24:42 pm

As long as you don't have a bunch of people hanging out around the decks, enable full control even when the deck is in remote. This way you keep it in remote all the time, put in a new tape, hit play and it grabs the timecode.

All of our decks are set with the control panel enabled in remote. We never take them out of remote (for the most part).

Beta 2800, DVCAM 1500, DVCPro 1200a etc.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 19, 2008 at 2:31:52 am

Excellent, Rich. Thanks for that.

AS far as I know, that's the best it's going to get.

Usually though, there are tons of people hanging around the deck marvelling it's marvelousness. I will now have to tell them to marvel at the blackburst generator or all of the blinky raid lights. Bummer for them.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Santiago Gutierrez
on Jan 19, 2008 at 3:15:41 am

Jeremy,
I've had this exact thing happen to me and only with the 1400. It never happens with HDCAM decks, Digibeta decks, or any others for me. Only this particular model. And I do exactly as Rich suggests. I insert the new tape, and hit rewind or play so that the tape threads and by the time I get back to the computer it's been going for a few seconds and I don't have problems with timecode at that point.

Thanks,
Santiago

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 19, 2008 at 3:39:53 am

Glad to know I am not alone.

Thanks, Santiago.

Return to posts index

John Christie
on Jan 21, 2008 at 2:28:35 am

Make sure the deck doesn't default to EE in stop mode. We switched that in the menu settings and our deck has been much happier. Also as mentioned before, keep your deck set to full control in remote.

Cheers

John Christie

Keyframes Editing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]