Kona 3/I/OHD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Maloney
Kona 3/I/OHD
on Jan 16, 2008 at 7:35:24 pm

Hello all,

Have I got this right??

The AJA IO/HD is designed to support HD VTR's offering HDSDI into Mac Pro's and MacBook Pro laptops by transcoding to the 422 ProRes HQ codec. There are no alternative codecs offered. The I/O is, via the firewire cable, assisting/accelerating the CPU to make FCP operate faster. No support for 4:4:4.

Kona 3 works extremely well in current Mac towers BUT lacks the acceleration in Pro Res 422HQ workflows provided by the I/O as the towers CPU is doing all the work. 4:4:4 supported.

Our future is heading towards handling P2 AVC Intraframe 100, XDCAMHD, RED, F23 etc. Obviously we have to also deal with our legacy tapes in the library and those presented to us.

From what the group understands about the new Macpros that have been announced, is there any indication that the status quo between K3 and the I/o HD will remain. Is there anything in the Kona 3's architecture that will cause it to be left behind or hinder it as the macpros advance?

Like everybody, want the maximum amount of real time and less rendering for color grading etc right up to Red/F23 ( as file or from VTR ) in 4:4:4.

I've ordered the new macpro tower. Still deciding on the in out for it.

Thoughts?

Tim Maloney
Axis Films Australia.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Kona 3/I/OHD
on Jan 16, 2008 at 7:56:37 pm

[Tim Maloney] "The AJA IO/HD is designed to support HD VTR's offering HDSDI into Mac Pro's and MacBook Pro laptops by transcoding to the 422 ProRes HQ codec. There are no alternative codecs offered. The I/O is, via the firewire cable, assisting/accelerating the CPU to make FCP operate faster. No support for 4:4:4."

You can also capture to the DVCPro HD codec from what I understand. I actually have a unit here and we should be using it soon.

[Tim Maloney] "Kona 3 works extremely well in current Mac towers BUT lacks the acceleration in Pro Res 422HQ workflows provided by the I/O as the towers CPU is doing all the work. 4:4:4 supported."

No, there is no "acceleration" in the IoHD. It does the processing of ProRes so the CPU does not have to, thus allowing Laptops to operate with ProRes. Performance with ProRes is about identical on the two products.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR
The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Kona 3/I/OHD
on Jan 17, 2008 at 1:40:19 am

I specify the I/O HD for all new systems -this is based on "bang for the buck", for most users. In my opinion, there is no question that the BEST AJA system is the combination of an AJA Kona 3 with the AJA I/O box, for legacy work. This combination outperforms the I/O HD. You aint' doing 4:4:4 with an I/O HD.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]