FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD Captioning

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eli
HD Captioning
by
on Jan 15, 2008 at 2:44:34 am

Does anyone know if one were to digitize a captioned HDCAM tape (708 compliant) and then lay that back to a new tape if the captions would transfer through using a Kona 2?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: HD Captioning
on Jan 16, 2008 at 2:52:52 pm

[Eli] "Does anyone know if one were to digitize a captioned HDCAM tape (708 compliant) and then lay that back to a new tape if the captions would transfer through using a Kona 2?"

the Kona products pass 708 line info without touching it, however if you edit that info in FCP which does not understand Closed Captioning - it will strip out all of your work.

why don;'t you explain what you are trying to do.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Eli Brown
on Jan 16, 2008 at 2:59:22 pm

Thanks for the info -- I'm trying to make a dub with a single HDCAM deck (digitize tape, and then lay it back to a fresh tape), using the equipment I have rather than getting another deck or sending it out of house. I sent the note to AJA tech support yesterday, though, and they indicated that they didn't handle HD captioning. Do you have experience that contradicts that advice? I'd be happy to hear it, indeed, though how would I import the footage into my system without running it through FCP? Is there a digitize utility I can use with the Kona?

Santa Fe Productions
postbrooklyn

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 16, 2008 at 4:15:26 pm

[Eli Brown] "I sent the note to AJA tech support yesterday, though, and they indicated that they didn't handle HD captioning"

isn't that what I said?
the kona does not touch it, when using the card in E-E it only passes the info in and out of the systems. You cannot up or downconvert CC data since the VANC position is in different locations on SD and HD, and the translations are not being handled properly.

"Do you have experience that contradicts that advice?"

no I said the same thing.

if you are trying to make a Broadcast Dupe - what you are trying to do is not wise- and may cost you more than the deck rental - should your show be rejected, the reconfirmation cost is more than taking the master to a dub house and having it done.

[Eli Brown] " Is there a digitize utility I can use with the Kona?
"

Aja has a capture utility for the Kona cards called VTR exchange and a playback utility called AJA TV.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

del chapple
on Feb 8, 2008 at 2:10:18 am

You need to capture VANC line 9 thats where the captioning live's and aja doesnt support (giant gripe aja!!) the vertical blanking. Blackmagic does though love em or hate em we bounce HDcamSR's and D5's all day with 708 captions off our mac..

del

you cant hear my inner voice scream... can you..?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]