FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHe connections advise

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mo Kahn
Kona LHe connections advise
on Jan 10, 2008 at 11:13:28 am

Hi All

We've recently purchased and installed a Kona LHe w/ breakout box as part of our video workflow. We're plannign on using the Mac Pro w/ FCP for SD and HD using HDV footage. We've also got a Sony HVR-M15E firewire deck and a JVC TMc-H150CG monitor as part of the proposed setup.

According to the AJA website we can connect our Sony deck to the K-box using the component connections (and an RCA-to-BNC connector) as our deck only has RCA component connections.

If we go down this route we're not sure what options we have for connecting the JVC monitor to the K-box. The monitor has an expansion slot for component, SDI and HD-SDI cards but can anyone recommend what we'd need to get.

Buying the component card for the monitor is the most economical option, but i'm not sure if we can still use this option if the sony connects via component aswell.

Any suggestions on connecting the JVC to our FCP workflow.

Mo

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Kona LHe connections advise
on Jan 10, 2008 at 1:10:44 pm

You can loop through the deck to the monitor so long as you feed the same reference to both the deck and the Kona card.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR
The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Mo Kahn
on Jan 10, 2008 at 1:54:18 pm

sorry Walter, please can you explain what you mean by that.

Excuse my ignorance as we're new to this kind of setup.

Return to posts index

Daniel Miller
on Jan 10, 2008 at 2:49:50 pm

Reference is sort of like a drummer for a band. It keeps everything in sync with each other. With video things tend to get screwy if all your devices (deck, nle, monitor) are not in sync with one another. The aja Gen 10 will do a reference for almost all flavors of video and its economical.

So with this device, you set your Gen 10 to the desired setting and feed the signal through bnc cable to the "ref in" ports on your aja card and you deck. After that life should be peachy.

Heres the wiki on signal generators, it has a a little more in depth description than i provided. Signal Genereators. Youll be interested in the part at the bottom, sync pulse generators.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 11, 2008 at 4:16:37 am

you write -
We've recently purchased and installed a Kona LHe w/ breakout box as part of our video workflow. We've also got a Sony HVR-M15E firewire deck and a JVC TMc-H150CG monitor as part of the proposed setup.
According to the AJA website we can connect our Sony deck to the K-box using the component connections (and an RCA-to-BNC connector) as our deck only has RCA component connections.
If we go down this route we're not sure what options we have for connecting the JVC monitor to the K-box. The monitor has an expansion slot for component, SDI and HD-SDI cards but can anyone recommend what we'd need to get.

REPLY -
#1 - you DO NOT need an AJA GEN10, and the HVR-15MU does not have a reference input. Do not listen to this advice.

The analog component output of the HVR-15MU will go into the analog component input of the AJA Kona LHe. This is how you will digitize your HD material. The AJA KL box will provide you with an analog Y Pb Pr output. This output will go to the analog component input of your JVC montior. If you dont' have the analog component input card, or dont' want to purchase one, you simply go to the AJA Control Panel, select the ANALOG tab, and change the analog output from COMPONENT to COMPOSITE, and composite video will come out of the Y output of the AJA KL box. This will plug into the composite video input of your JVC TV, and this is how you will see the output of your FCP system.

Wasn't that easy ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Mo Kahn
on Jan 11, 2008 at 11:10:59 am

Fantastic Bob, thanks a lot for you're help....

A couple of final questions - from what I understand by using the Kona LHe in our workflow the firewire link between the MacPro and the Sony deck will only be used for deck control from within FCP as the actual capture of footage is happening over composite via the Kona....

But when it comes to mastering our completed HD footage back to tape from within FCP we have no choice but to use firewire (am I correct)....and will there be any quality issues with mastering back to the deck using firewire ?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 11, 2008 at 4:15:24 pm

there is different opinions about this. To me, NO ONE should "master back" to a HVR-15M2U (or any HDV VTR). Sony does not consider HDV to be a mastering format (don't yell at me, yell at Sony). Even if you bought the HVR-1500 (about $6500), and used it's HD-SDI output with RS422 control, this VTR CANNOT record back an HD-SDI signal (it records back DVCam via the SDI input). So, can you record back via firewire - sure you can. But Sony wants you to "master back" to HDCam (easy for them to say).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]