FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live record to FCP and tape with TC

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Coster
Live record to FCP and tape with TC
on Jan 9, 2008 at 12:28:58 pm

I am using FCP as a capture device in our studio. The path is Component mixer output to dvcam recorder to Kona LS card to FCP. (The reason for going via tape is to generate timecode as well as archive wild recording)The desired outcome is to capture TC along with the clip in FCP. Problem is to capture open ended in FCP on the fly you need to use "capture now" or FCP will try to control the deck. "Capture now" doesn't read timecode from the deck so am I snookered or is there a way. I'm all ears(apart from the other bits of me)I know AVID will capture ext tc with the clip but need to use FCP as well.
Thanks,
Cozzie

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Live record to FCP and tape with TC
on Jan 9, 2008 at 3:47:18 pm

AJA VTR Exchange. It's freeeeeeee.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Coster
on Jan 10, 2008 at 1:44:14 am

Thanks for that, but I've used the application and the same problem. Will use RP-188 TC but I dont have SDI input, only component. Seems like a huge oversight as SMPTE TC has been in use since before I was in nappies. The stupid thing is , the correct EXT TC is displayed in the window of AJA capture but on replay of the clip the TC resets to 00.00.00.00. Any other ideas/suggestions/settings?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 10, 2008 at 4:41:56 am

How are you sending tc? Rp188 doesn't come in through component. Do you mean rs422? Did you setup for rs422 (serial) in the VTR Exchange prefs? The weird thing is that in VTR exchange, you won't see timecode (--:--:--:--) but after you capture now, the tc should be embedded with the QT with a tc track. Hopefully this will get fixed in a VTR Exchange update.

As far as FCP not being able to see tc on capture now, this hopefully will get fixed soon as well. VTR Exchange should definitely be your solution to this problem as long as you have your wires connected proper and preferences setup correctly.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Coster
on Jan 10, 2008 at 8:20:15 am

Yes rs422 TC is displaying in the capture window using component input.As I said, i don't have SDI input only component with rs 422 control. Everything looks good but unfortunately the reverse of what you are saying is true. The Timecode displays correctly in the capture window but is not being embedded in the QT track when captured and played back. I have set up the TC pref to "Deck" and looked at all pref settings.No config seems to work. On the FCP side I even tried taking the vtr off remote and using "capture now". The TC was still getting through and when i began the capture it left the deck alone but dropped out of capture saying it was successful. (Funny idea of success) On the AVID side I can achieve the result I want without pain,capture via firewire direct from the deck because Avids version of capture now still sees the embedded TC,captures it but wont control the deck when you don't want it to so that's great for this situation. But Avid doesn't use the AJA Kona LS and the MXF files are useless to FCP.(or are they?)This shouldnt be so difficult, am i missing something apart from another expensive box?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 10, 2008 at 6:07:52 pm

I'd hit up AJA support.

As I said before, this is a shortcoming of FCP in the capture now mode without deck control. It does suck and hopefully should be addressed soon.

You might have to get something like this (still another box, but not very expensive) that will trick FCP into thinking it has a deck attached and you can capture now:

http://www.adrielec.com/aec-ubox.htm

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]