huge d5 price drop - what the?!?!

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Provost
huge d5 price drop - what the?!?!
on Jan 9, 2008 at 5:29:56 am

just saw this on the panny site:

Purchase the AJ-HD3700B D-5 HD Mastering System and AJ-HDP2000
2K Processor by March 31, 2008 for a Special Package Price of $60,000.
Save nearly $50,000!

my brain is melting. just bought a jh 3 as an entry level deck, but hell for another 40k could of bought this? at 4:4:4!
what is coming out at nab? I thought i was keeping up on this stuff.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: huge d5 price drop - what the?!?!
on Jan 9, 2008 at 1:25:46 pm

[Paul Provost] "my brain is melting. just bought a jh 3 as an entry level deck, but hell for another 40k could of bought this? at 4:4:4!"

That's apples and oranges. Jh3 is an HDCAM Player Deck. D5 is a Panasonic format. One doesn't help you with the other.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR
The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Jan 9, 2008 at 3:33:13 pm

well we had to buy something to get into thehd game, because we were beginning to turn away jobs. problem was, we were getting requests for hdcam, hdcamsr and d5. we decided on the jh3 as a starter deck and add to that. rent d5 and sr.
but you can charge more for d5 because of its cost. we just couldn't spring for the 100k right away. also a lot of decisions of tape format are based on the deck that is available. if we had a d5, we would obviously be offering d5 layoff.
point is, to be able to get hd mastering AND 444 is pretty amazing for 60k. puts in a much more accessible price point. here in LA you kind of need to offer all 3 formats, but that's a pretty steep investment for a small house.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 10, 2008 at 1:12:59 am

Paul -
1) - equipment will CONTINUE to become outdated. NO MATTER WHAT YOU BUY, it will be a bad investment 2-3 years from now.

2) Different clients have different delivery requirements. Why would anyone spend $100,000 on a Sony SRW deck unless you use it EVERY DAY and make money with it. The JH-3 is a great product ONLY if you have clients that are walking in with HDCam tapes. What if they walk in with HDV tapes, how about SRW tapes - then what will a D5 do for you ?

As an editor, YOU don't get to make the decision of "what HD VTR do I buy". It's whatever your clients are shooting with.
The JH-3 and the Panasonic AJ-HD1400 are currently the 2 most popular hi end HD VTR's on the market, so you made a good purchase. But you may have to rent a SRW or D5 deck for client delivery.

Your investment is safe. But remember - EVERYTHING YOU OWN will be outdated soon, so get back to work !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Jan 10, 2008 at 1:45:46 am

hey Bob welcome back
the jh3 will pay for itself very quickly
i'm just saying for our first one it would have been nice to have a mastering deck (i don't consider hdcam (non SR) mastering and certainly not dvcprohd)
if the d5/444 would have been at this price ($60k) 3 months ago, likely it would have been the first big hd deck we bought. but the 3/31 end date for the sale seems suspiciously like it might be EOL and a week later at NAB something new?
also there is a catch 22 with renting/ the job needs to be big enough to warrant it, but if you have the deck in house there are many smaller quick turnaround jobs you can take and be more flexible in pricing.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 10, 2008 at 3:58:11 am

Paul -
I don't know who your client base is, but little companies like Disney, Universal, Electronics Arts, and others find "crappy little" HDCam and DVCProHD to be mastering formats. If your client base is so hi end that they demand D5 and SRW-5500 only, then you are making PLENTY of money, and should have no problems paying for these extremely expensive VTR's.

Will there be something new at NAB - OF COURSE THERE WILL BE SOMETHING NEW - there is always something new at NAB. And at NAB2009, there will be something else. Hitachi has already announced 4 TB drives for 2009. Does this you are not going to buy any drive storage until 2009 ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Jan 10, 2008 at 4:05:38 am

i just read the deliverable lists they send us mr z
(most often d5 and srw)

"can't we all just get along?"
(quote from somebody somewhere at some point)

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Jan 10, 2008 at 4:20:15 am

oh, and by new at nab i meant NEW
like sea change new
like 4k 4444 on tape or something weird like that

and yes i think i will wait till 2009 to buy more storage now that you mention it
maybe i'll wait for the 4TB iphone and record to that

Return to posts index

Stuart Simpson
on Jan 10, 2008 at 10:48:33 am

[Bob Zelin] "
I don't know who your client base is, but little companies like Disney, Universal, Electronics Arts, and others find "crappy little" HDCam and DVCProHD to be mastering formats."

You can add all the UK broadcasters to that list - including the BBC. HDCAM is the de-facto UK broadcast HD delivery format.

-Simmie
1 MacPro - Kona 3
2 G5 - Kona LH
2 G4s - Cinewave
xbox360, Wii, PSP, PS2
http://www.speak.co.uk

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Jan 11, 2008 at 6:04:29 am

hey that would be great for me. if i could get away with buying a $20k deck to output hd masters to i would be in heaven. only we have not yet seen dvcprohd in a deliverables list.
why on earth networks need hdcamsr for broadcast is beyond me. the cable hd signal i get at home is dismal. they might as well be playing back hdv.
maybe sony and panasonic sold them all their top end decks and that's the only thing they can playback tapes on. so we get stuck buying the same decks to be able to deliver for broadcast...

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Jan 11, 2008 at 6:15:10 pm

Starting with the best format they can get their hands on before they compress the hell out of it is why. We saw this shift happening two years ago with some of the major networks, others are taking a bit longer and it shows. I hate television today.

It's a shame they turn great work into compressed pieces of crap. It's getting to the point of just waiting for the DVDs to hit and watch the whole season that way (when/if we have a season again).

Other than football, which is looking pretty damn good and I hate football there are only a few networks that seem to be doing justice. Now I must point out that I have a 74" screen at home that shows every little issue so I may be a bit over critical but I think not. Panasonic just unveiled a 150 inch plasma that sports 4096 X 2160 rez., just think how that's going to look.

Sorry for the rant,
Ramona

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 14, 2008 at 1:38:17 am

[Paul Provost] "i'm just saying for our first one it would have been nice to have a mastering deck (i don't consider hdcam (non SR) mastering and certainly not dvcprohd)"

DVCPro HD is fine for mastering and in fact some networks accept the format as a mastering format. We invested in a Panasonic 1200A three years ago because that's the first format we were asked to edit in. Since then we now have two Panasonic 1400's and 2 Sony HDV decks.

I have mastered about 75 or so Broadcast HD shows to DVCPro HD and all have passed Quality Control and all have been praised by the networks for their high quality. There is no issue mastering to DVCPro HD.

We don't have a need for HDCAM as none of our clients are shooting that format yet and we certainly would never invest even the lower cost of the D5 deck as it's easy enough to have any format mastered to HDCAM and D5 at local facilities.

Why purchase a $60,000 deck just for mastering when you really need the feeder deck. You master for an hour or for a day, but you digitize for days and sometimes weeks at a time. You need the deck that you capture from, not the mastering deck.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR
The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]