FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sync drift problem

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Currey
Sync drift problem
on Jan 7, 2008 at 11:35:03 am

Morning all,
Got a problem that I just can't fix. I'm capturing video from a beta deck via a Kona LHe card into Final cut 6.0.2. The audio is in sync at start of clip but drifts gradually, so after 5 mins it's totally out.

I've used the same kit successfully for this workflow for ages - nothing new. I had this problem a few months ago and a total FCP reinstall seemed to fix it. That time it was an intermittent problem. But this time it happens on every clip.

I've reinstalled Final cut, Compressor, Qmaster, everything. I've reinstalled the relevent driver for the Kona card etc. Checked frame offset, done everything I can think of - No change. Really up against it here. HELP!

(Capturing Pal DV, using a Sony DVW-A500P beta deck, Kona LHe card, Mac Pro running FCStudio2 and OS 10.4.11.)

Cheers,
Nick
Edit/Delete Message

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Sync drift problem
on Jan 7, 2008 at 11:09:17 pm

What kind of scratch drives do you have and have you trashed your prefs lately? WHat version of Quicktime?

Return to posts index

Nick Currey
on Jan 9, 2008 at 11:48:45 am

Hi,

I've tried setting scratch discs to all manner of options - internal, lacie firewire external, GTECH external, all no difference.

I'm using Quicktime 7.3.1

yes I've trashed prefs, plists, unistalled all relevent receipts etc.

I've since discussed it at some length with a deck engineer and he says it wouldn't be the deck (I believe him cos he might have got a job out of it if it had been).

I'm leaning towards it being a Kona card problem, but really I don't know.

Return to posts index

creative_tech
on Jan 9, 2008 at 11:53:27 am

Hi there, silly question, but if you are using a MAC PRO, have you checked your PCI expansion Slot Utility to ensure it's setup correctly. Its under:

Machintosh HD > System > Library > Core Services > Expansion Slot Utility

You should be selecting the second option down....

Return to posts index

Nick Currey
on Jan 9, 2008 at 1:52:53 pm

Hi there,
Not a silly question, but that's all good. I am running the second one down.

Return to posts index

Colleen Kessler
on Feb 19, 2008 at 11:13:59 pm

Hi, I am just stumbling on your posting, but we had been having this same problem and we thought it was the Kona 3 card.
what we did find was that our digitizer was noot locking onto the AJa presets we set up and the kona kept switching back to Free run in the Control panel... whenever a drift like that occurs, especially gradually, it typically means there is a Ref In/timing problem.
check your playback timeing setup in your AJA control panel and make sure you have Ref In genlock - Locked.

that may help.
I did some tests on our side and we have seen an improvement so far.

Colleen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]