FORUMS: list search recent posts

Prores vs Aja RGB

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerome Thelia
Prores vs Aja RGB
on Dec 27, 2007 at 10:38:17 pm

Hi, I'm in the process of planning the post pipeline on a feature length doc and have run across a couple of issues.

The plan is to finish 1080 24P and master on to an HD CAM SR tape at 4:4:4. My plan all along was to assume that I would need to master in Aja RGB 10-bit (not log). But I've done some color work in Color and rendered out to both Prores and Aja RGB. There's a pretty significant gamma shift between the two codecs coming out of color, which I can resolve in AE using 'difference'.

To my shock and amazement, even zooming in at 400%, I see very little difference between Aja RGB 10-bit and ProresHQ, prompting the question... assuming I can deal with the gamma shift, is there any reason to finish in Aja RGB, when my Prores clips will be 10x smaller?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Prores vs Aja RGB
on Dec 28, 2007 at 12:43:35 am

ProRes422HQ is pretty amazing, and just passed my client's Sony Pictures test for release of a small feature ( I couldn't believe it either).

Ya know - it depends who your client is, and who your target audience is. I assume you are not doing the sequel to Titanic, and competing with a Panaflex.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Dec 28, 2007 at 5:07:30 am

The gamma shift is most likely due to the use of an RGB codec. I assume that your timeline was set up for Kona RGB 10 bit? Did you test the 10 bit YUV codec, as well? You would have the benefit of an uncompressed codec, but without the gamma shift of the RGB. OTOH, you might not need to use an uncompressed codec, unless you're doing a lot of compositing.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 28, 2007 at 9:18:24 pm

[Jerome Thelia] "The plan is to finish 1080 24P and master on to an HD CAM SR tape at 4:4:4"

This is only wise if you are Acquiring RGB data at the camera.

[Jerome Thelia] "But I've done some color work in Color and rendered out to both Prores and Aja RGB. There's a pretty significant gamma shift between the two codecs coming out of color, which I can resolve in AE using 'difference'. "

ProRes is only YUV, the Kona RGB codec is not.

[Jerome Thelia] "I see very little difference between Aja RGB 10-bit and ProresHQ, prompting the question... assuming I can deal with the gamma shift, is there any reason to finish in Aja RGB, when my Prores clips will be 10x smaller"

see above,

since you will not be working in RGB in ProRes

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]