FORUMS: list search recent posts

Field issue on recorded tape

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Tay
Field issue on recorded tape
on Dec 27, 2007 at 10:52:09 am

Hi,

Is there a chance where a messed up sequence setting would cause a recorded tape to have field one from the previous clip and field two from the next clip on a cut point ?

For example, if my clips are DV NTSC (lower field) and I force my sequence to work in upper field, would it have any effect on which field (1 or 2) on the cut point when edited to tape ?

-chrispy

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: Field issue on recorded tape
on Dec 27, 2007 at 4:03:54 pm

[Christopher Tay] "if my clips are DV NTSC (lower field) and I force my sequence to work in upper field, would it have any effect on which field (1 or 2) on the cut point when edited to tape ?"

If you put DV into an upper field first timeline without using the shift fields filter, then your field order is indeed wrong.

What format are you trying to output to? Most SD NTSC is lower field first.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
Re: Field issue on recorded tape
on Dec 28, 2007 at 1:14:58 am

Yes, it's definitely wrong and would cause stuttering motion. But would it cause a VTR to edit on Field2? My guess is no. I'm not sure what difference it would make at that point, though, as the motion scenes would be very ugly.

I'll have to defer to someone with more knowledge of field dominance (as opposed to field order as determined by FCP). I think the VTR would still cut on the correct field as proscribed in the particular DV video standard.

To further complicate things, it might be possible to set the VTR to edit on the non-standard field.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]