FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why won't FCP see my component Z1U input?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Prisk
Why won't FCP see my component Z1U input?
on Dec 27, 2007 at 1:00:43 am

I have been sitting here for more than an hour trying to find the correct settings for importing 1080i60i component video from a Z1U through the Kona Lhe into my sequence in Final Cut Pro using log and capture.

I am shooting a greenscreen and feeding directly out of the camera (not recording to tape).

Here are my current settings. Can anyone tell me why I have not seen any video as of yet?

SONY Z1U
Format set to "HDV1080i 60i." Using component out cables. No firewire, composite or audio cables are connected.

KONA LHE
Video Input: Analog (Analog Format: COMPONENT (SMPTE/EBU N10)
Audio Input: Analog
Primary Format: 1080i29.97 Secondary is the same.
SDI and Analog Outputs are all set to 1080i29.97
Control is set to "Input Passthrough" (No video passing through so far!)

FINAL CUT PRO
Sequence setup is "AJA Kona LH: 1080i 29.97 Apple ProRes 422(HQ)" Log and Capture is exactly the same. Control is set to "Non-controllable device."

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Why won't FCP see my component Z1U input?
on Dec 27, 2007 at 1:52:18 am

#1 -
stop using FCP.
Go to the AJA Kona Control Panel right now.
If you don't know where it is (in Applcations Folder), find it. Quit FCP, and open this control panel now.

Yor Z1U can be set to output 1080i (HD) or 480i (SD). Your AJA can be set for HD (1080i) or SD (525).

Go into the INPUT tab of the AJA Kona Control Panel, and select the analog component input (not SDI). Go to the FORMAT tab, and select 1080i (not 720p or 525). You will see the output of your Kona LHe on your TV monitor. If you have a consumer TV there (and not an HD TV), go back to the FORMAT tab, and under SECONDARY, select 525 (I know you are working in HD 1080i). Now, in your ANALOG tab, select Secondary (525), and composite video will come out of the Y Out BNC cable. You can plug this into your TV, and see your camera right now.

If you dont' have a TV there, GO TO GRANDMA's HOUSE RIGHT NOW, and borrow her TV, so you can test out your PROFESSIONAL system. DO NOT waste your time with FCP until you understand the control panel, and can get your Z1U to pass thru the Kona LHe card like I just described above.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jason Prisk
on Dec 27, 2007 at 2:56:26 am

Bob,

Thank you for your response.

I am monitoring on a 24" (1920x1200) LCD via the Blackmagic HDLINK HD/SDI-DVI convertor. Everything has been working beautifully for editing/monitoring 1080i in FCP.

My ONLY problem has been with capturing through the component inputs on the Kona card.

Took your gentle advice to heart and tried monitoring on an SD monitor via a downconvert to 525i. Nothing on the SD monitor from the Z1U pass-through OR FROM THE FCP TIMELINE!?!

I think it may be something with the breakout cable.

Tell me how wrong I am. I can take it.

Return to posts index

Jerry Alto
on Dec 27, 2007 at 5:23:42 am

Jason- I think your problem is in the Z-1 in/out menu. Plug the Z-1 component cable directly into an HD monitor and tweak the menu settings 'till you get a picture. Once the Z-1 is putting out component HD reconnect the cable to the LHe and select the proper settings. I know for SD component the iLink down-convert needs to be ON.

Hope this helps.

Jerry

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 27, 2007 at 10:14:10 pm

Jason -
plug the Y output of the Kona LHe card into Grandma's composite TV. Go to the Control tab in the AJA Kona Control panel, click on CONTROL, select TEST PATTERN, and bring up color bars. Do you see color bars on the TV ? This is step 1.

Step 2 is to get a video source (not your camera), like a VHS machine, DVD player, Beta composite output, etc. and stick it into the Y input of the Kona LHe. Select under FORMAT - 525 (not hi def). On the input selector, select analog composite (you can also choose analog component, but you will only see a B+W signal if this test works). Change the CONTROL tab from TEST PATTER to INPUT PASSTHRU - do you see your Beta, VHS, DVD on Gradma's TV set ? This will let you easily test the Kona card (or the cable), before you start going nuts over the Z1U menus.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

David Burch
on Mar 19, 2008 at 2:33:47 am

I'm new to these forums and have just purchased and installed a Kona LHe, to be used for a variety of applications. I am using a similar setup as the OP with a slightly different problem. I'm confident that the Z1 is set up correctly, but when i try to capture video via the component cables it looks as if the Kona card is expecting a genlock reference that isn't there. In other words, there is an image but it contains no genlock. Am I doing something wrong here? Does the card require a composite feed into the genlock input in order to accept an HD component signal? BTW, I'm well aware of the advantages of having a reference while capturing, but as this is impossible with the Z1 (as far as I know) I'm stuck without it. And simply getting a deck isn't an option at the moment for me...due to both budget and time restraints. I was under the impression that the Z1 could be hooked directly up to the card, but if this is not the case I need to know. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jason Prisk
on Mar 19, 2008 at 6:51:58 pm

I am no expert in this, as you can tell. However, I can assure you that it will capture component without a reference signal.

Be sure the breakout cable is seated properly in the card

Are you seeing the "genlock" problem in the capture window/fcp canvas--or just on the external monitors. In other words, are you sure it is not just a monitoring problem? Not having the proper settings in the AJA software AND in the fcp "Audio/Video Settings" can create these kind of issues in the external video signal.

Other than that, I will be of no help to you except by trial and error.

Jason

Return to posts index

David Burch
on Mar 19, 2008 at 9:13:40 pm

I think I figured it out. The genlock issue was showing up in the canvas as well, but I think it had to do with the fact that I had previously genlocked the card to the DVCAM deck. After turning the computer off and back on again the problem seemed to clear up. Apparently the card has to reset after it receives a reference before it will work without one. At last that's as much as I could tell.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 19, 2008 at 10:24:20 pm

David -
this is not magic. You MUST learn to open and use the AJA Control Panel on a regular basis. You can turn EXTERNAL REFERENCE on and off in the AJA Control Panel, under the "control tab". If you can't figure this out, write back, and I will tell you exactly what to do.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

David Burch
on Mar 20, 2008 at 6:41:55 am

Um, I'm not stupid...I had the control panel open while I was working with the problem. Switching the reference option didn't have any effect, and as far as I can tell it only matters for output anyway. The only way to fix it was to restart the computer. Please refrain from condescending comments when you don't have all the information.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 21, 2008 at 3:21:48 am

REPLY -
I will respond to your post below. I am here to help you. If you don't like the tone of my voice, I will not answer your questions any more. -

replies below as per your comments.

you write -
I'm confident that the Z1 is set up correctly, but when i try to capture video via the component cables it looks as if the Kona card is expecting a genlock reference that isn't there.

REPLY - when you capture from the Z1U, go to the control panel, and TURN OFF external reference (change to internal) in the control tab. The Kona will not look for an external reference if you manually switch it to INTERNAL.

YOU WRITE -
In other words, there is an image but it contains no genlock. Am I doing something wrong here? Does the card require a composite feed into the genlock input in order to accept an HD component signal?

REPLY - The Kona card DOES NOT require a composite feed to the Genlock input - change the AJA Control Panel CONTROL tab to INTERNAL, and you will have no trouble capturing the signal. Do your initial tests with only the Control Panel, and not with FCP. Set format to 1080i, and input to analog component. Control tab panel to INTERNAL.

YOU WRITE -
BTW, I'm well aware of the advantages of having a reference while capturing, but as this is impossible with the Z1 (as far as I know) I'm stuck without it.

REPLY - you DO NOT need a reference to capture the Z1U.

And simply getting a deck isn't an option at the moment for me...due to both budget and time restraints. I was under the impression that the Z1 could be hooked directly up to the card, but if this is not the case I need to know.

REPLY - you don't need a deck, you can use your camera. Do all your tests with the AJA Control Panel. The Z1U can be hooked up directly to the card, with no VTR, and no refernce input, if you set up the AJA Control Panel correctly.

Let me know what happens, and stop being so damn defensive or I will slap you.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

David Burch
on Mar 21, 2008 at 7:19:16 am

As I said, turning off the external reference had NO EFFECT. That was the first thing I tried. If it was something that easily fixed I would not have bothered posting the problem. I'm not being defensive...I just don't appreciate being patronized. If you treat everybody like you know more than them you're bound to get some people upset. My question was whether the card needed an external reference to capture, and that question was answered, before you bothered posting. Your post served no purpose other than to try to show off your "knowledge" of the situation. And by the way...the control panel reference options aren't "internal" and "external". The options are "Free Run" (the card itself generates house sync), "Ref In" (the card uses the composite reference feed for genlock timing) and "Video In" (the card uses the actual video input to reference its genlock timing). These options affect PLAYBACK ONLY. When capturing, the card can either be locked to an external reference or not. Generating a house sync when there is nothing else to time to that sync is utterly useless. None of the options in the Control tab of the control panel affect capturing whatsoever. At least, this is how it is with the latest Kona LHe control panel software. It is possible that the software is different for other models...I couldn't say. My point is, stop acting like you know it all when you really don't understand the situation yourself. I will stop now as I really don't want to get into a flame war. This is all beside the point anyway as the issue has been resolved.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]