FORUMS: list search recent posts

aja system check app

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matthew mcnulty
aja system check app
on Dec 20, 2007 at 8:03:42 pm

ran the system check app on my external FW800 drives and both drives came back with weird readings...

in general i had 57.5 mb/s... but every 21 frames it said 1.0mb/s... this was for read write was just as inconsistent

now the check of the mac hd was consistent 55.7mb/s... read and write

the two external drives are glyph 500gb and 1.5tb

i noticed that FCP was a bit slow to respond when playing clips in the time line or viewer

are the drives dying or what...?

Return to posts index

szumlins
Re: aja system check app
on Dec 20, 2007 at 8:41:44 pm

How long have you been using the drives? How fragmented are they? How full are they? What kind of footage?

Lots of questions before more answers.

Return to posts index

Matthew McNulty
on Dec 20, 2007 at 9:17:52 pm

very full... sd footage dragged and dropped from firestore....
moving data to temp storage so i might use disk utilities on the mac to reformat... it's a 500gb glyph jbod...

fairly new to macs... so where can i go to see fragmentation data? and perhaps you might recommend some sata drives for my quad core g5 heh?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 21, 2007 at 1:09:20 am

no one can use "very full" drives. I dont care if they are SATA, Firewire, PATA, or SCSI. People use every byte of a 500 gig drive, and start to cry. It's the SAME old answer - SPEND SOME MONEY and buy a new drive. If you "splurge" for a 1 TB SATA drive, when this drive gets "full" you will face the same problem. When you are single, your studio apartment is ok. when you have 3 kids, your studio apartment is no longer OK. You eventually commit suicide. SO, before you do this because of your problems, buy another drive. Besides, I know that you have got that fat belly, and you want to lose weight, so stop eating that ham and turkey for christmas, and buy another drive. Your FCP system will be happy, and your behind will be happy.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Matthew McNulty
on Dec 21, 2007 at 2:26:37 am

Bob! how did you know i had three kids...!?!?! WTF! oh i am going to buy something... a personality for you!

hey i already feel stupid enough... i did become lazy... the LHe
and my hvx 200, dvcpro hd... too many clients before i knew it!

removed the old files and back up to speed!

can you recommend a disk utility software... maybe disk warrior?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 21, 2007 at 2:03:47 pm

Disk Warrior is excellent - an excellent investment for all kinds of bizarre problems.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Matthew McNulty
on Dec 21, 2007 at 3:08:55 pm

thank you sir! may i have another!

Return to posts index

weevie833
on Dec 28, 2007 at 1:52:21 am

Try Prosoft Drive genius fro drive maintenance, and also a freeware app Grand Perspective. GP will give you a graphical representation of your files according to their size, and then you can click on the "square" on the graph to isolate a specific file in Finder, then delete it. It goes into hidden files as well. Works on OS volumes, but don't delete anything strange unless you are sure about what you are deleting.

steve

PS - don't sweat Our Man Crazy Bob Z. No one's better. Install a filter or something.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]