FORUMS: list search recent posts

LHe & behringer 1002 - high pitched noise

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tpiper4
LHe & behringer 1002 - high pitched noise
on Dec 16, 2007 at 5:35:41 pm

I recently upgraded my FCP setup, adding the LHe and a Behringer 1002 mixer. I'm hearing a very audible high-pitched whine when monitoring audio in FCP. It's obviously most notable when the playhead is parked and no audio is "playing" out. If I unplug the LHe XLRs from the mixer, the whine disappears. And if I monitor FCP audio through my MacPro Digital Line Out directly to powered speakers, there's no noise either. Which seems to suggest the Kona. However, I've already replaced the Kona once through Aja, who suspected the board might have been damaged.

On a related note, the volume coming from the mixer is really loud. Not the levels, but the volume, if that makes any sense. I checked that a -20dB tone from FCP gives about +4db on the mixer meter (such as they are on the 1002 - there are only LEDs for -20,0,+6, and Clip... +6 lights up at -20db FCP tone). But somehow the volume is really, really loud. When monitoring the audio through Sony MDR-7506 headphones plugged directly into the mixer, I have to turn the Phones/Control Room knob almost all the way down to keep my ears from bursting. If I monitor through small Edirol MA-10D speakers, they are overdriven unless I turn the speaker volume knob way down.

My main concern is picking up the whine when recording the output of the mixer (to a Sony DVCAM deck). Of course, it would be nice to have a little more control over the volume of the Phones as well...

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: LHe & behringer 1002 - high pitched noise
on Dec 16, 2007 at 6:31:35 pm

On a related note, the volume coming from the mixer is really loud. Not the levels, but the volume, if that makes any sense. I checked that a -20dB tone from FCP gives about +4db on the mixer meter (such as they are on the 1002 - there are only LEDs for -20,0,+6, and Clip... +6 lights up at -20db FCP tone). But somehow the volume is really, really loud. When monitoring the audio through Sony MDR-7506 headphones plugged directly into the mixer, I have to turn the Phones/Control Room knob almost all the way down to keep my ears from bursting. If I monitor through small Edirol MA-10D speakers, they are overdriven unless I turn the speaker volume knob way down.

REPLY -
this is my guess - you are plugging the Kona LHe into the XLR inputs, which are MIC LEVEL INPUTS. You need to plug into the LINE LEVEL INPUTS which are the 1/4" TRS inputs. There is a trim control on inputs 1-2. Keep this ALL THE WAY counterclockwise (all the way down). If you are using the other inputs, make sure the +4 -10 switches are in the +4 position.

Next time buy a larger mixer with better features, like the slightly more expensive Behringer Xenyx 1204FX. You are blaming an audio whine on one of the cheapest pieces of audio electronics on the market. This is not to say that the Kona doesn't have a problem, but it is pretty unlikely. The Xenyx 1204 is $139 - not a lot of money. You paid $69.95 for your 1002. You are cutting it pretty close to the cheapest thing in existance for "professional grade" audio.

You will be fine once you get out of the XLR connector inputs, and start using the 1/4" inputs.

Bob Zelin

My main concern is picking up the whine when recording the output of the mixer (to a Sony DVCAM deck). Of course, it would be nice to have a little more control over the volume of the Phones as well...

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
Re: LHe & behringer 1002 - high pitched noise
on Apr 26, 2009 at 4:42:03 am

Did this ever get resolved. Please post how if it did.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]