FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any word on.....

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Battistella
Any word on.....
on Dec 7, 2007 at 1:50:19 pm

Leopard compatibility...

It seem this is not the easiest set of drivers to write. I wonder why?

David

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Any word on.....
on Dec 7, 2007 at 3:44:12 pm

Someone else started another thread. All I can say is AJA won't release them until they are ready. With stability issues all around on Leopard, it doesn't surprise me. My laptop is not as stable since installing Leopard (it was for about a week) and all I do is run internet and Mail on it.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR
The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Dec 7, 2007 at 7:42:42 pm

Nothing official from AJA - but I found a thread on the Apple discussions bboards posted yesterday. One of the posters claimed to have spoken with an AJA engineer on the phone and was told a Leopard fix would come "in the next few weeks".

That's all we get kids - here-say and a weirdly worded pr release.

Supposedly a 10.5.2 update will be out by Macworld (Jan 15). This last Leopard update didn't fix all the Leopardisms so it may be that we won't see a driver update until '08, especially with the holidays coming up (engineers need time off too!). Even if drivers are released soon - they might get wrecked by 10.5.2, which would start the process all over again - so you'd be looking at February before you should feel safe installing AJA drivers.

I think everybody's bummed about it - but what can you do? It really sucks the worst for people buying new edit systems - AND AJA sales staff right now. I've been playing around with it for a few weeks now and I've had some major crashes, freezes, etc. I'm glad I wasn't editing when it happened (Yippee second Tiger boot drive).

Leopard probably won't be production system friendly until say 10.5.3 - at the earliest.

My two cents.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 8, 2007 at 12:11:43 am

[David Battistella] "It seem this is not the easiest set of drivers to write. I wonder why? "

Because there are over 1.27 MILLION setup variations for all of the kona line.

It is in the last test stages now.

I would rather wait than do what BMD did they have posted something like 5 (?) builds of their driver since leopard shipped and according to the COW posts every time they do something else gets broken.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Ben Price
on Dec 8, 2007 at 1:50:05 am

Hi,

I have a MacPro running Leopard 10.5.1 with a Kona LHe. It all seems to work fine with vers 4.0 drivers and FCP 6.02. Have tested with Digi Beta deck at 10 bit Uncompressed (PAL). Have had it running for about two weeks without a hiccup. I have another drive in the machine to boot back into Tiger but have not needed to. If you really can't wait any longer for then give it a try - especially if you have another drive handy.

Have fun.

Ben

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Dec 8, 2007 at 4:07:09 pm

Wow Ben,

That;s balsy!

David

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Dec 8, 2007 at 2:56:56 am

Gary,

I hear ya.

That's why I posted the question.

1.27 eh?

Impressive.

David

Peace and Love :)
Read my Blog
http://blogs.creativecow.net/DavidBattistella

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 8, 2007 at 7:43:54 pm

you people all drive me crazy. (Isn't "you people" a racial insult - well, you AJA users are a seperate racial group !).

Why the F are you screwing around with Leopard, and are so freaked out that official AJA drivers are not ready ? Leopard does not make FCS 6 work any better, Leopard does not make the AJA (or Blackmagic or Pro Tools, or AVID) products work any better, and it certainly doesn't work yet with Adobe products - so what is the panic to get these drivers working.
The ONLY people that should care are the dealers, than can't sell a new system until Leopard drivers are working - and whether it works or not - it is is very stressful to "assure" a new user that just spent THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS for a new system that Leopard will be ok - "so don't worry" - when the dealer is ultimately responsible for making this system work reliably. Without assurance from AJA (and the other manufacturers), this is a nerve racking experience - so what the HELL is the damn rush ? Is Discovery Channel or PBS rejecting your tapes because you are not running FCP over Leopard ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Dec 8, 2007 at 7:58:05 pm

Bob,

I am in no hurry at all for drivers. I am just making some plans for my business around the arrival of the RED camera. It will mean upgrading to a NEW mac (from a dual 2.7 that does not work with PROREZ HD)

The MAC that comes with leopard PRE-INSTALLED is going to need new ATTO fiber card (they have Leopard drivers FYI) and a KONA 3 Card (not yet Leopard compatible).

So, in my case Bob, it's not so much that it's going to change my deliverables, but the RED does mean a new system. Hence the research.

We're not all dummies around here Bob, sometimes I ask questions because I need to know and plan around my business in the coming months.

Thanks,

David

Peace and Love :)
Read my Blog
http://blogs.creativecow.net/DavidBattistella

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 8, 2007 at 8:10:47 pm

[David Battistella] "The MAC that comes with leopard PRE-INSTALLED is going to need new ATTO fiber card (they have Leopard drivers FYI) and a KONA 3 Card (not yet Leopard compatible)."

Are you sure? my iMac purchased two days ago from the Apple Store here in Atlanta came with Tiger pre-installed. It included a Leopard "CPU Drop In DVD" to upgrade it.

We're actually going to be looking at a RED camera this week or next with a D.P. and I plan to use my Tiger system for that test.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Warren
Re: Any word on..... Oh, The Red Camera
on Dec 9, 2007 at 7:05:44 am

Walter,

You'll find the Red quite amazing. I got a chance to play around with one #68 to be exact and all I have to say is... I want one. 7 minutes of 4K on an 8 Gig compact flash!

Warren

Warren Eig

O 310-470-0905

C 310-560-6245

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

http://www.atomfilms.com/af/content/knitwits

http://www.atomfilms.com/film/family_xmas.jsp

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 11, 2007 at 10:13:17 pm

[Warren] "I got a chance to play around with one #68 to be exact "

so any chance of getting rory to for his BMD car....?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 11, 2007 at 10:20:31 pm

[gary adcock] "BMD car....? "

BMD makes a car? Wow. That's a giant leap. I guess people don't stick to what they know.

Wonder who spins their clay models?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 14, 2007 at 4:26:32 pm

yeah

thats what I get for trying to send an email quickly in the shanghai airport,

it was supposed to say get rory ( #68) to give up his BMD card.....

geez one small typo and the Hugo back into production.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Dec 10, 2007 at 2:39:59 pm

The 6 octo's that we had come in last week we're all Leopard. No Tiger anywhere. No SanMP drivers, no Kona Drivers. It's a real pain. And our work around isn't exactly legal as we pulled a laptop with its tiger disc and did a target disc install. I guess we have licensed copies of Leopard when the time comes.

The worst part is our VAR (AVI Systems) didn't even know about the problems when they came to install everything.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 10, 2007 at 5:20:11 pm

[Jeremy Doyle] "The worst part is our VAR (AVI Systems) didn't even know about the problems when they came to install everything."

They didn't know there are no Kona drivers for Leopard? Wow, that's not good for a VAR.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Arniepix
on Dec 8, 2007 at 10:27:11 pm

[David Battistella] "The MAC that comes with leopard PRE-INSTALLED is going to need new ATTO fiber card (they have Leopard drivers FYI) and a KONA 3 Card (not yet Leopard compatible). "

David, FWIW, I just bought a used Kona 2 off of eBay, & it's working in my G5 dual 2.5 under both Leopard & Panther. I'm not using this system very much right now, but will be in the near future, so I've got it set up to boot from both systems.

I really won't be using the system very much till next year, though, so I haven't really put it through any serious testing.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Dec 10, 2007 at 8:47:12 pm

Just installed tiger drivers on Leopard. Works for my Dual 2.7 / Kona 2 as well. I had to repair permissions afterwards due to some weird crashyness, now it's rocking along like a champ. Haven't done a big fcp test on it though.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 10, 2007 at 8:55:36 pm

[John Davidson] "I had to repair permissions afterwards due to some weird crashyness, now it's rocking along like a champ. Haven't done a big fcp test on it though."

I definitely would not put that machine into deadline sensitive work. But that's just me.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Dec 10, 2007 at 9:00:51 pm

Absolutely - and I can bounce back to Tiger in a heartbeat if needed. I still have to upgrade my RAID card before I can even attempt any serious work.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 10, 2007 at 9:03:09 pm

[John Davidson] "I still have to upgrade my RAID card before I can even attempt any serious work."

And wait for the AJA drivers. That's all I'm going to say.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Dec 10, 2007 at 9:14:38 pm

You're totally right - all I really wanted was audio output for my itunes. We're done for the rest of the year which is why I would even consider installing the old drivers.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Dec 11, 2007 at 12:03:07 am

There you go guys. A couple of posts up. New Kona and ioHD software available for Leopard.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 11, 2007 at 12:35:29 am

[JeremyG] "There you go guys. A couple of posts up. New Kona and ioHD software available for Leopard."

Yeah, now maybe the whining will stop.............

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Arniepix
on Dec 11, 2007 at 12:52:44 am

[walter biscardi] "Yeah, now maybe the whining will stop............."

Walter, I find this kind of naivet

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 11, 2007 at 1:10:42 am

[Arniepix] "Now that there are drivers for Leopard, I expect lots of people to rush through their upgrades, while in the middle of large, important projects."

How did you know that's precisely what I plan to do?! I thought about waiting until Adobe updates After Effects and we do have about 15 deadlines before next week, but what the hay? I'll just update and I'm sure it will all work just

We're sorry but your connection to this host has been terminated..................

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Dec 11, 2007 at 1:35:50 am

Walter, If you only knew how close I just came to spraying beer out my nose & all over my laptop!

Arnie

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 11, 2007 at 1:52:56 am

[Arnie Schlissel] "Walter, If you only knew how close I just came to spraying beer out my nose & all over my laptop!"

You need the Creative COW Keyboard Condom. Remember, Safety First!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Dec 11, 2007 at 2:26:14 am

I have learned my lesson. Never again will I read a post from you with a beverage in my hand!

Arnie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]