FORUMS: list search recent posts

To Gary and others: G-speed exploded!

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
CharlieX
To Gary and others: G-speed exploded!
on Dec 5, 2007 at 12:37:03 am

I've got a ticket into G-Tech... but it's late in the day and I'm going on vacation tomorrow...

During laying back to Digibeta, my Triplite voltage conditioner/battery backup went "POP!" and I lost power to my G-Speed.

It boots up and is flashing a warning that there was a power failure. It reports all drives are funtional, but I'm missing QT's in the folders that I was reading media from.

I've started a "Volume Consistency Check" but it's going to take some time.

I liken this problem to pulling the power cord out of your hard drive when it's reading and writing data = you're in deep crap and it probably ruined something.

Any ideas? Or is my assumption correct = I lost data. It's Raid 3 protected, but since the controller reports all drives are functional..... GGGRRRRRRR!!!

Triplite can eat my shorts. It sounded like a fuse blew up, but I plugged it into another socket later and it came right up. I couldn't have overloaded it - it's rated to 1440 watts, I can't be using more than 500.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: To Gary and others: G-speed exploded!
on Dec 5, 2007 at 12:50:04 am

[CharlieX] "
Triplite can eat my shorts. It sounded like a fuse blew up, but I plugged it into another socket later and it came right up. I couldn't have overloaded it - it's rated to 1440 watts, I can't be using more than 500."

How many devices is plugged in to it? I have a G5 Dual 2.0 with two LaCie S2S SATA arrays, a LaCie Bigger Disk array and one monitor plugged into an APC 1300. If we run both S2S arrays at the same time, the APC overload alarm goes off. Doesn't seem like we should be drawing enough power for that, but we have to keep one of the S2S' off until we get another backup.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR
The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

CharlieX
on Dec 5, 2007 at 1:44:45 am

Well, G-Tech didn't get back to me yet and they're closed....

BUT! running Volume Check rebuilt the drive and my project is back. RAID3 FTW! thank you g-tech.

You might be right Walter, I have a BVM, Tektronix waveform, 8core Mac, and the G-Speed plugged in. Maybe it overloaded the circuit.... but damn. It's been running in this sam configuration for almost 10 weeks now (brand new system). The load lights were never beyond 50%. This is not they way to find out your power protection can't handle the stress

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Dec 5, 2007 at 4:56:57 am

i would pull the bvm and scopes off the ups and put them on surge protectors. do you really need them on ups? we're in santa monica which has sucky power and just need systems and drives powered long enough to save and power down...

Return to posts index

CharlieX
on Dec 5, 2007 at 7:55:43 am

yeah, I'm going to distall - no need to have BVM's on ups. I'm in venice - the power grid is a piece of work. voltage fluctuates up and down all day long like it was going out of style! and as soon as it rains - BAM - power goes to out the hood

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Dec 5, 2007 at 8:09:05 am

yeah what are we in mexico?
just protect the bare minimum
crt's suck a lot of juice

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 5, 2007 at 12:12:56 pm

[CharlieX] "yeah, I'm going to distall - no need to have BVM's on ups. I'm in venice - the power grid is a piece of work. voltage fluctuates up and down all day long like it was going out of style! and as soon as it rains - BAM - power goes to out the hood"

Pick up multiple APC's. I must have about a dozen of them here, all purchased at Costco. Also have three Furman Power Conditioners for all the gear in the Rack. At $100 or so each, they're cheap enough to run everything in your shop.

We have them on pretty much every piece of equipment. Even the Wii and XBox 360 because what else are you going to do when the lights go out?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR
The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 5, 2007 at 1:32:23 pm

Charlie

Glad that everything worked out, and it is a good lesson about why you want redundant storage and backup power capabilities.

I am traveling for the next 10 days and am only posting occasionally.[CharlieX]

"Triplite can eat my shorts. It sounded like a fuse blew up, but I plugged it into another socket later and it came right up. I couldn't have overloaded it - it's rated to 1440 watts, I can't be using more than 500. "

I replace my Triplite conditioners every few years, High power units (raids and decks) each get a dedicated unit, for the reason you mentions. My rack is much like what walter described his setup is like.

As a side note the only time I have needed that much backup, it was 5 years ago when a traffic accident took out the power in my entire building, but all of that backup allowed me to shut down my rendering without incident.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Piper
on Dec 5, 2007 at 5:55:13 pm

I have a couple power supplies: An APC Back-UPS 1500, and a Belkin 1500. One might assume they could each handle 1500 watts, but not so.

The 1500 is what they call a VA (volt-amps) rating, and they construe to mean something other than watts. (All school kids know, the rest of the world considers volts x amps = watts, or power). As near as I've been able to determine, it is a maximum surge rating. Most appliances, especially CRT's, draw more current on start-up than they do running; called a surge or start-up current draw.

Both are rated around 850-900 watts continuous rating; that is a MAXIMUM, and I've had good luck limiting the total run current to around 600 watts per power unit, or about 2/3 the rating. I've had units blow out before pushing these limits.

Same goes for surge power: I make sure no single component of my system has a surge of more than about 2/3 of the max (VA) rating. I've checked each with a clamp-on ammeter.

Because of surges, I also turn on only one component of my system at a time, leaving a moment each start-up, so I don't exceed the limits of the power supplies. The other thing I do, is make sure all system components are turned off before starting up the power supplies. Starting the power supply with a CRT connected and turned on at the same time caused one of my blow-outs.

Hope this doesn't muddy the water too much.

Speaking of which, we got lucky in this weekend's storm, and all the muddy water and wreckage is to the North and South of us. We sit in a kind of wind shadow of the Olympic Mountains, and only had to deal with the 7" of rain; we are on a hill, so it was all down hill from here. Didn't even get to test my back-up power supplies.

Gary
SaltAire Cinema Productions

Return to posts index

Christopher Wright
on Dec 5, 2007 at 8:12:33 pm

So Gary, are you in the Sequim area??

Return to posts index

Piper
on Dec 5, 2007 at 10:35:53 pm

Hi Christopher,

No, I'm in Steilacoom, about 45 miles SW of Seattle, right on Puget Sound. Sequim is N-NW of here, a bit over a hundred miles by road, maybe 80 or so miles as the crow flies.

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]