FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA products and the Sony LMD-2050

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
AJA products and the Sony LMD-2050
on Nov 27, 2007 at 12:07:58 am

I just put in a Sony LMD-2050 today for the first time. Let me stress that this is NOT the more expensive Sony LMD-2450.

When you observe the HD signal on this monitor, and then the same image in SD, they look the same. Once again, it is almost hard to believe that Sony is making a product like this. I have seen the LMD-2450 at a trade show, and it looked great, but this is the cheaper 2050. Even at WalMart, HD monitors look great, but this HD monitor looks like SD - and switching between SD and HD (using the AJA) proved thsi point to me.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: AJA products and the Sony LMD-2050
on Nov 27, 2007 at 1:22:29 am

Bob,

If you go back and reread your own post I think you might agree with me that it is impossible to determine whether you think the monitor is good or whether you think its bad. You say twice that HD on this monitor looks like SD, which sounds pretty bad, but I'm still not sure if I'm guessing correctly. Which is it?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 27, 2007 at 3:01:35 am

I am saying that this monitor is so bad, I almost can't believe it. I knew that the previous generation of Sony LMD monitors was bad, but after the beating they took from Panasonic and JVC (and others), and after seeing the LMD-2450 at NAB, as well as the expensive BVM LCD, I figured this was a new leaf for Sony to come back. I am not trashing the entire line - I am just saying that in a "real world" experience, using the AJA product (this is an AJA forum), the LMD-2050 looked horrible with an HD image (comparing it to any other pro monitor that I can think of). I have used nothing but Sony CRT's since the 80's, and it's hard to see what has happened to this product line.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Nov 27, 2007 at 3:24:24 am

yeah, at least they could of kept making the crts until they got their act together.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 27, 2007 at 4:50:20 am

[Bob Zelin] "I am saying that this monitor is so bad, I almost can't believe it."

Gotcha and thought so!!! Thanks for clarifying... I guess I should have known. If you had said wow, the SD looks just as good HD, then we'd really have something... but that probably ain't gonna happen.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 27, 2007 at 5:45:02 am

I got the same thing reading that David. I couldn't tell if what Bob was saying....if it was a good thing or bad. Eventually Bob, after re-reading it 4 times, I figured it was bad.

Shane

Littlefrog Post

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD now for sale!
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index

Tcurren
on Nov 28, 2007 at 12:42:40 am

Yes, Sony still doesn't have it. And their expensive LCD monitor still doesn't do black. 35K, washed out black. What a scam.

Terence Curren
http://www.alphadogs.tv
http://www.digitalservicestation.com
Burbank,Ca

Return to posts index

beerstine
on Nov 28, 2007 at 8:54:51 am

Could you go into a little more detail about what you're seeing (or not seeing) that makes this monitor so bad and is that typical of any of the 20 inch monitors that have to scale down full rez HD. I've heard people talk about scaling artifacts but I've always wondered just how evident they really are in real life.

I'm also interested of your opinion of the new JVC LCDs if you've seen them.

Return to posts index

Tcurren
on Nov 28, 2007 at 4:29:20 pm

Are you asking Bob about the cheaper Sony, or are you asking about the higher end Sony?

Terence Curren
http://www.alphadogs.tv
http://www.digitalservicestation.com
Burbank,Ca

Return to posts index

beerstine
on Nov 28, 2007 at 6:33:31 pm

I guess I'm asking about the 20 inchers in general. I guess they could display 720P in 1:1 (with a lot of wasted screen real estate or upscaled images) but 1080i would be scaled down to fit the panel's resolution. I couldn't tell if he was talking about scaling problems or if the problems related to color, black levels or any other factors.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 29, 2007 at 2:19:16 am

no - I have seen the 20" JVC, and I have seen the 17" Panasonic. They are both wonderful. And I have seen the 24" Sony LMD-2450.

But the 2050 is what I am talking about, and the picture looks like CRAP. Did you ever go to WalMart, or Target, or Best Buy, and look at the HD TV's they are selling there - they all look pretty good, right ? Well, the Sony LMD-2050 does NOT look like these cheap consumer HD monitors, it looks WORSE - it looks WORSE than a Sony Bravia consumer HD monitor - WHY IS THAT !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]