FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHe not seeing Varicam flags

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kona LHe not seeing Varicam flags
on Nov 22, 2007 at 7:35:04 am

I'm trying to digitize DVCPRO HD 720p60 23.98 footage in FCP through my Kona LHe but when I try to do it that way, it's not giving me clips with the proper TC Rate. I am certain all the footage was shot 720p60 23.98.

When I digitize the footage, it shows up in the browser with at TC Rate of 30 rather than 60. When I open the clip in the viewer, obviously the timecode is 30 fps.

I have tried all the Kona presets from 720p60 23.98 Varicam to 720p60 59.94.

Now, I'm able to change the clip TC Rate in the browser. Once I do that, I see a proper 59.94 frame rate playing only the flagged frames.

When I digitize through Firewire, I use the DVCPRO HD 720p24 preset and the clips show up with the proper TC Rate in the browser.

What settings are awry? HELP!

Powermac G5 Quad 2.5
Quaddro 512MB Video Card
Kona LHe

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Kona LHe not seeing Varicam flags
on Nov 22, 2007 at 1:30:33 pm

[thebishop] "What settings are awry? HELP! "

there is nothing wrong with your Kona Card.

Apple's FW implementation is screwing with you.

Shane has given you a good bit of detail in the FCP forum.

I have replied in some detail in one post however --Panasonic's way is ALWAYS record timecode at 29.97 NOT at 59.94 or 23.98 from a Varicam tape. Because of the Dupe frames in the 720p format ( and the Variable Frame nature of this camera) the Timebase is recorded and played back at 29.97.

(ever bother to check the capture settings > device settings to see the timecode settings for capture)

Open your Kona Control panel and go to the timecode pane and turn on the TC indicator.

gary adcock
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved