FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHe not seeing Varicam flags

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
thebishop
Kona LHe not seeing Varicam flags
on Nov 22, 2007 at 7:35:04 am

I'm trying to digitize DVCPRO HD 720p60 23.98 footage in FCP through my Kona LHe but when I try to do it that way, it's not giving me clips with the proper TC Rate. I am certain all the footage was shot 720p60 23.98.

When I digitize the footage, it shows up in the browser with at TC Rate of 30 rather than 60. When I open the clip in the viewer, obviously the timecode is 30 fps.

I have tried all the Kona presets from 720p60 23.98 Varicam to 720p60 59.94.

Now, I'm able to change the clip TC Rate in the browser. Once I do that, I see a proper 59.94 frame rate playing only the flagged frames.

When I digitize through Firewire, I use the DVCPRO HD 720p24 preset and the clips show up with the proper TC Rate in the browser.

What settings are awry? HELP!

Powermac G5 Quad 2.5
3 GB RAM
Quaddro 512MB Video Card
Kona LHe

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Kona LHe not seeing Varicam flags
on Nov 22, 2007 at 1:30:33 pm

[thebishop] "What settings are awry? HELP! "

there is nothing wrong with your Kona Card.

Apple's FW implementation is screwing with you.

Shane has given you a good bit of detail in the FCP forum.

I have replied in some detail in one post however --Panasonic's way is ALWAYS record timecode at 29.97 NOT at 59.94 or 23.98 from a Varicam tape. Because of the Dupe frames in the 720p format ( and the Variable Frame nature of this camera) the Timebase is recorded and played back at 29.97.

(ever bother to check the capture settings > device settings to see the timecode settings for capture)

Open your Kona Control panel and go to the timecode pane and turn on the TC indicator.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]