FORUMS: list search recent posts

c'mon guys let's play with the new cat

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cow
Paul Provost
c'mon guys let's play with the new cat
on Nov 21, 2007 at 4:48:48 am

i know it's the holidays but bmd has a driver.
um, i haven't tried it though...

Return to posts index

uncompressed
Re: c'mon guys let's play with the new cat
on Nov 21, 2007 at 6:08:52 am

enjoy running with scissors a few doors down the barn.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 21, 2007 at 8:37:15 am

What does the new cat give you that you MUST have? Really no reason to go there. Neat on a personal computer, but not essential on an editing one.

Shane

Littlefrog Post

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD now for sale!
http://www.lfhd.net

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 21, 2007 at 9:57:31 am

[Shane Ross] "What does the new cat give you that you MUST have? Really no reason to go there. Neat on a personal computer, but not essential on an editing one."

My thoughts exactly. There is zero on Leopard that is a "must have" for me on the OS side, especially since the latest updates support both Leopard and Tiger. We're running it on our internet computers and quite honestly, the window dressing is nice, but there is nothing so significantly different that you even know you're running another OS. Well except for the fact that my wireless network doesn't always load up automatically now. That never happened until Leopard.

Personally, we have to wait until Adobe updates their CS3 lineup as After Effects is not qualified to run under Leopard anyway.

And as far as AJA is concerned, one of the things we really like about them is they do not release drivers until they are ready. If they are not out yet, there's a good reason for this and we're not all going to be public beta testers.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR
The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Nov 21, 2007 at 11:11:04 am

You guys should just put a sticky up on this forum that AJA doesn't have Leopard drivers ready yet. I bet at least half or more of the hits on this forum each day are specifically people like me looking for Leopard drivers. It's kinda weird that the only sticky up there is about Leopard not working with Adobe - in the AJA forum - which also isn't Leopard compatible.

I'd like to put this Leopard install project behind me and move on with my life. That's why I need it.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 21, 2007 at 5:14:13 pm

[John Davidson] "I'd like to put this Leopard install project behind me and move on with my life. That's why I need it."

but everyone keeps telling you NOT to update.

After Effects will not be updated until after Q1 next year,

many if not most of the issues may not be resolved with the OS until late spring.

Wait.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 21, 2007 at 5:30:03 pm

[John Davidson] "I'd like to put this Leopard install project behind me and move on with my life. That's why I need it."

Then install it on a laptop or some other machine. From the looks of things, Leopard won't be ready for all pro apps until early next year.

Why do you "need it?" What specifically about Leopard is missing in your workflow right now?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Nov 21, 2007 at 6:04:15 pm

i don't "need" it. did i not say "play" in my post? we have a cloned "update" drive that we experiment with before any major updates (or minor for that matter - we can't be down for 10 minutes on any of our systems). so we will play with the decklink cards for now. ya bunch a grinches!
just want to find out if there are any improvements - render speed, multi processor use etc. the pro apps have been updated a couple days ago for it.
i'll bet you all are still on os 9. "oh noooooo - something new!!!! aaaarrrgggghhhhhh!

Return to posts index

uncompressed
on Nov 21, 2007 at 6:06:50 pm

i am protesting 10.5 until netinfo comes back. holding my breath...

Return to posts index

Warren
on Nov 21, 2007 at 7:20:05 pm

Net info is rolled into Directory Utility, in the utilities folder.

Warren

Warren Eig

O 310-470-0905

C 310-560-6245

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

http://www.atomfilms.com/af/content/knitwits

http://www.atomfilms.com/film/family_xmas.jsp

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 21, 2007 at 6:48:14 pm

[paul Provost] "i don't "need" it. did i not say "play" in my post?"

We were referring to John who says he "needs it."

You can play all you want on systems without a Kona like we're doing. One thing that is good on our end is the latest studio updates are all very solid on 10.4.11 and that's a good thing.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Nov 21, 2007 at 11:29:50 pm

Back to my mac will let me do remote emergency work with screen sharing and deliver spots to my broadcast network client (who only needs uploaded omf's, scripts, and qt's for final delivery). This is especially crucial over the holidays as we have one series launching on the 26th and 3 others in the pipes. I'll be out of town much of the time during these holiday weeks - so the ability to jump in, make a simple change to a promo, and then upload it is HUGE.

People tell me I don't need Leopard, but they're basing that assumption on how they use their systems, not mine. Oh, I DO have Leopard installed on the macbook which I would be using for this screen sharing feature.

I cannot leap to Leopard until I have the right drivers for my AJA Kona 2. If AJA thinks they don't have to update until Adobe does that would be a bad assumption as well. Not all of us use AE enough for it to be a big deal breaker when considering the move to Leopard.

John Davidson____ writer | producer | director____http://www.magicfeather.tv

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 22, 2007 at 12:15:14 am

[John Davidson] "If AJA thinks they don't have to update until Adobe does that would be a bad assumption as well."

Assuming AJA is "holding on to their drivers" is a bad assumption for anyone to make. AJA will not release the drivers until they are ready, as I have already said in this thread. No sooner, no later.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Jeff Bernstein
on Nov 22, 2007 at 12:30:13 am

Guys,

Keep in mind that ALL new CPUs from Apple are now shipped ONLY with Leopard. Even though Tiger still works on the latest shipping MacPros, the numb nuts at Apple have decided you do not need stability. The numb nuts have determined that reality is a BAD thing. The numb nuts won't even give you an option of getting a Tiger install disc.

Also keep in mind that the retail Tiger discs, unless they happen to be 10.4.10, will not boot Quad Core CPUs.

Thus, you are forced to STEAL a Tiger install disc.

Thank you Apple. Reality be damned!!!

Jeff

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 7, 2007 at 2:22:31 am

[Jeff Bernstein] "Guys,

Keep in mind that ALL new CPUs from Apple are now shipped ONLY with Leopard. Even though Tiger still works on the latest shipping MacPros, t"

This is actually not true. I just picked up a brand new iMac 20" from the Apple Store tonight and it has Tiger installed. It included a "Leopard CPU Drop In DVD" that I am installing right now. But if I wanted to leave Tiger running, I would do that.

Maybe the Mac Pro's have Leopard pre-installed, but this iMac follows along with the reports I'm getting from everyone that I know, that Tiger is still the OS pre-installed on their Macs.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Nov 22, 2007 at 1:06:53 am

Sorry walter - I didn't meant to make it seem like you were saying anything else. I only meant to say that we've heard on a few different posts that most people aren't concerned with AJA drivers until Adobe CS3 is ready - hence my statement that I hope AJA isn't operating on that ideology, because only Manwe himself knows when Adobe's gonna be ready for Leopard.

Return to posts index

uncompressed
Re:um, anyone familiar with QA
on Nov 22, 2007 at 12:39:10 am

"If AJA thinks they don't have to update until Adobe does that would be a bad assumption as well. Not all of us use AE enough for it to be a big deal breaker when considering the move to Leopard."

since you have a kona 2, you should be fairly well acclimated approximately two weeks after announcements ship, the AJA drivers are there. happened with PCI-e, intel, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4 and fairly soon, 10.5.

i have worked on over 40 professional applications which went from alpha to shipping product. the QA process and attention to it is by far the most important to end user experience as throwing it out the door without proper QA across machines, environments and OS's actually just pushes the QA process out the door into the client suites.

i bet $100 pay pal dollars against adobe beating AJA to market with 10.5 software! any takers?

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: Re:um, anyone familiar with QA
on Nov 22, 2007 at 12:59:39 am

Lol - I wouldn't take that bet. I think adobe found out that there was a Leopard OS coming just last month.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Re:um, anyone familiar with QA
on Nov 23, 2007 at 3:29:02 pm

[uncompressed] "i bet $100 pay pal dollars against adobe beating AJA to market with 10.5 software! any takers? "

I'll take that bet! Can we do some sort of Paypal handshake too?

PS April fools!

Return to posts index

Simmie
on Nov 22, 2007 at 12:43:19 pm

What's slightly annoying from my point of view is that we might be picking up a new macpro in the next few weeks, and the OS that comes with it is 10.5 - I don't really want to go and buy a copy of 10.4 to run on it... Seems like an unnecessary cost.

-Simmie
1 MacPro - Kona 3
2 G5 - Kona LH
2 G4s - Cinewave
xbox360, Wii, PSP, PS2
http://www.speak.co.uk

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 22, 2007 at 4:46:08 pm

Annoying to you ? How are guys like me supposed to be able to build NEW systems without MAC's that work with third party products ? What makes you assume that you can take a new MAC Pro and back rev it to Tiger - this is YOUR ASSUMPTION, and I have not verified tht you can even do this - ASSUME NOTHING.

The dealers and integrators are a lot more hysterical than you are. Just be angry at Apple. I am sure that everyone at AJA (and every other third party vendor) is spening their Thanksgiving trying to figure out how to get the Leopard drivers written.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 23, 2007 at 11:10:16 am

[Simmie] "What's slightly annoying from my point of view is that we might be picking up a new macpro in the next few weeks, and the OS that comes with it is 10.5 - I don't really want to go and buy a copy of 10.4 to run on it... Seems like an unnecessary cost."

Everyone I know who has received a machine lately has Tiger installed on the machine with a copy of Leopard included. Notice that all the sales tags say "Leopard Included" not "Leopard installed."

So it appears that Apple still has a backlog of machines that have Tiger installed on them and instead of going back and wiping the machines and installing Leopard, they're just shipping the new OS with the machines.

Folks I know have received laptops, iMacs and desktops. All of them arrived with Tiger installed and Leopard included.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Mike Parfit
on Nov 22, 2007 at 6:57:29 pm

What might one want from Leopard?

Stability?

Those of us with consistently unstable Final Cut Pro systems whose instability seems increased by the relationship between FCP and the capture cards, have this little (no doubt vain) hope that the Leopard-FCP setup might help. I have grasped at many straws for over a year now and I want to grasp at this one, but without drivers I can't.

Not a complaint; I can wait. I've come to terms with taking my Kona card out of the machine for long renders and saving on every edit. Just an answer to the question.

Mike

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 22, 2007 at 7:04:22 pm

[Mike Parfit] "Not a complaint; I can wait. I've come to terms with taking my Kona card out of the machine for long renders and saving on every edit. Just an answer to the question."

What?! There is something more going on there, but that would be for another thread. Even our old G5 Dual 2.0 with the Kona 2 is humming along stable with 10.4. I think the least stable I've ever had an FCP system was with my old CineWave when we made the move from OS 9 to OS 10.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Mike Parfit
on Nov 22, 2007 at 8:40:10 pm

Hi, Walter,

Yeah, this instability has been the topic of a lot of different threads, mostly over at the FCP forum. A number of people are having similar but not identical problems to mine, largely involving crashing on long renders. But as you note, a topic for elsewhere. I just hope Leopard helps.

Mike

Return to posts index

ronnyron
on Nov 23, 2007 at 3:14:57 am

I agree with Walter. The most instability I've seen was going from OS9 to OS10 with Cinewave.
That forum was FULL of workarounds. OS10 and AJA is easily the most stable setup to date under MOST of the "dot" updates too.

10.5 can wait in my book. This is a major update and anyone who's been running FCP since at least version 2 knows to wait and not rush into these upgrades. And as far as the Adobe debate, they're the least of our problems. Any FCP system doing broadcast or most high end work is using apps other than Apple and Adobe.

I hoped to upgrade my 2 G5 systems before Xmas, but now I think I'll wait till '08.
If it ain't broke, leave it alone. And if it is, you should find someone to troubleshoot, fix and configure your system. In 2007, no one should be pulling cards out of their systems! LOL
(I just had a DPS Velocity flashback)!!!

Ron

Return to posts index

Greg Nosaty
on Nov 24, 2007 at 5:34:10 pm

[Shane Ross] "What does the new cat give you that you MUST have? Really no reason to go there. Neat on a personal computer, but not essential on an editing one. "

Well I was kinda hoping that the 64bit computing might speed up painfully slow renders and processing. And maybe an improves final cut suite would be more stable reliable and access a little more than 2.5 GB of ram.

cheers,
Greg Nosaty

Cinemontage Productions Inc

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 25, 2007 at 2:08:17 pm

[Greg Nosaty] "Well I was kinda hoping that the 64bit computing might speed up painfully slow renders and processing. "

then you need to keep waiting a little longer for FCP to be supported as a 64 bit app.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Jeff Bernstein
on Nov 25, 2007 at 6:44:17 pm

Bob & Walter,

As an integrator, I can tell you that there are no more Mac Pros with Tiger included, as of a week ago.

Since there are no modification to the hardware, the old Tiger discs included with Mac Pros, which include either the 10.4.9 or 10.4.10 install DVDs do work.

It's just a matter of tracking down those discs.

For many, sticking with FCP 6.0.1, 10.4.10, QT 7.1.6 seems to be a happy combination. While a number of issues, on paper, seem to be corrected with the FCP 6.0.1, 10.4.11, QT 7.3 combination, we have not seen enough real world metrics to bless it just yet.

Jeff Bernstein

Digital Desktop Consulting
Apple Pro Video VAR
XSAN Certified
MetaSAN Master Reseller

323-653-7611

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]