FORUMS: list search recent posts

Beta SP into Kona 3

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
spiguet
Beta SP into Kona 3
on Nov 19, 2007 at 8:09:29 pm

I've come from Avid Adrenaline production land and moved into FCP without knowing much about the hardware involved. I have just put a Kona 3 card & K3 box on the system and need capture from a Sony BetaSP UVW-1400A. Adrenaline handled all source formats in, this Kona only has SDI in. Furthermore, the deck has RS-232C remote and the Kona has RS-422. Now what?

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Beta SP into Kona 3
on Nov 19, 2007 at 8:15:46 pm

AJA has converters for Analog Component to SDI along with embedded audio. We use the HD10AVA as this converts both SD and HD into the unit.

As for RS-232, no idea on that one.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR
The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 19, 2007 at 8:58:39 pm

[spiguet] " I have just put a Kona 3 card & K3 box on the system and need capture from a Sony BetaSP UVW-1400A. Adrenaline handled all source formats in, this Kona only has SDI in. Furthermore, the deck has RS-232C remote and the Kona has RS-422. Now what? "

Adrenaline may have handled all of your SD formats but the HD Adrenaline has the same connections as your Kona Card (and analog audio i/o)

Either an HD10C2 D>A converter or an IoLA could be added to your system to handle the analog SD content.

You will need to use a Keyspan connector to control the RS232 via USB

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

spiguet
on Nov 19, 2007 at 9:49:49 pm

The Io connects to the Mac via Firewire, is there any need to have the Kona card? What is the point of the capture card if the Io box connects firewire?

Thanks,
Seth

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 19, 2007 at 9:57:36 pm

[spiguet] "
The Io connects to the Mac via Firewire, is there any need to have the Kona card? What is the point of the capture card if the Io box connects firewire?"

The Io is SD only.

The Kona 3 is SD and HD. It provide SD to HD Upconvert, HD to SD Downconvert and 720 to 1080 Cross Convert.

I'm assuming you need the HD capabilities of the Kona 3 and that's why you got it.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

erik hansen
on Nov 19, 2007 at 11:59:44 pm

Gary should have said Io (not IoLA) as you can use the Io as a standalone converter to (SD) SDI. The Io has composite, S-video, component and SDI inputs that can all be output to it's SDI output to the Kona card.

The IoLA only has analog outputs, unless you use it as designed though firewire.

If the Io, is used as analog converter you should also be to use the Io Control panel to tweak color, hue, saturation, etc... I don't remember all the options.

- Erik

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 20, 2007 at 1:06:13 am

[erik hansen] "Gary should have said Io (not IoLA) as you can use the Io as a standalone converter to (SD) SDI. The Io has composite, S-video, component and SDI inputs that can all be output to it's SDI output to the Kona card.
The IoLA only has analog outputs, unless you use it as designed though firewire."

I stand corrected.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

szumlins
on Nov 20, 2007 at 2:09:32 am

As Walter and Gary both said, you want one of each of their recommendations:

An AJA HD10AVA will take your analog component and 4 channel audio and give you an SDI out with embedded audio

An AJA ADA4 will take 4 of your AES channels and convert them to analog audio for print to tape (Kona 3 already has Component output)

A keyspan 232 to 422 adapter will give you device control.

With these three tools and the Kona 3, there really aren't many formats on the planet you can't ingest, up/down/cross convert, and output to.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 20, 2007 at 4:16:15 am

you said that you come from AVID Adrenaline production land. How the hell were you controlling your UVW-1400 with the Adreanline ? Didn't you have the Addenda adaptor on this VTR to convert 232 to 422 (the Adreanline or ANY AVID product never had an RS232 interface).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 20, 2007 at 11:01:45 am

[Bob Zelin] "Didn't you have the Addenda adaptor on this VTR to convert 232 to 422 (the Adreanline or ANY AVID product never had an RS232 interface)."

Just looked up on Markertek and found this RS-232 to RS-422 adapter. Only $30.

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=LT%2DRS%2D2%2F3&off=6&sort=...

Looks like what is needed here.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

spiguet
on Nov 20, 2007 at 1:41:57 pm

Thanks, unfortunately the deck has no 9-pin connector, only 24-pin. What a pain.

Return to posts index

spiguet
on Nov 20, 2007 at 2:06:05 pm

Correction, 25-pin.

Return to posts index

spiguet
on Nov 20, 2007 at 1:38:43 pm

Bob,

I was at a different post-facility with the Avid (you actually setup the suite) and now I'm at a company doing in-house stuff. They had an Adobe setup where they routed everything through the UVW-1400A and captured it live via RCA inputs without any remote control. They bought a Final Cut Studio system but it didn't have a capture card. We have an Sony XLH1 camera and want to move everything HD, so I ordered the Kona3 card & K3 breakout box. I anticipated that the breakout box would handle component, composite, s-video, etc., but that is not the case. I messed that up.
So now, I've got this Kona3 and cannot capture from my beta, even without using remote. I could dump the beta source to DV and bring it in, but I'm doing some keying and don't like DV for green screen stuff. Should I just get the Aja Io and forget the capture card, then I'd settle for HDV out of the camera for the HD instead of using the HD/SDI.

Thanks,
Seth

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 20, 2007 at 2:19:29 pm

[spiguet] "I anticipated that the breakout box would handle component, composite, s-video, etc., but that is not the case. I messed that up."

Yeah, that's pretty clear in the technical specs on the card, it's digital inputs only.

My suggestion is just to pick up an Io LA and run it along with your Kona 3. That gives you all the analog inputs including S-Video. We have one here for that very purpose and we use it on occassion to capture from our UVW-1800 machine.

Or you can talk to your VAR about swapping out the Kona 3 for the LHe which includes all the analog inputs except S-Video. Keep in mind the LHe only performs HD to SD Downconversion. It cannot up or cross convert.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 20, 2007 at 5:52:06 pm

walter of course, is correct. You should never have gotten the Kona 3. The Kona LHe is the correct card for you. The UVW-1400 is an OLD VTR. If you use the Addenda adaptor -
the Addenda RS4U
http://www.addenda-elect.com/rs4u.htm
this will do the 232 to 422 conversion for you. Before asking any more questions, look at the Addenda site.

If you are "stuck" with the Kona 3 (I don't know who sold this to you) - get the I/O LA or a AJA HD10AVA to convert the Beta to SDI so you can use your Kona 3. There are no other work arounds, other than going with the cheaper AJA Kona LHe.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

spiguet
on Nov 20, 2007 at 8:51:10 pm

Thanks all. Kona3 & K3 box returned, Kona LHe ordered. Bob, thanks for the adapter.

Seth

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 20, 2007 at 8:55:48 pm

[spiguet] "
Thanks all. Kona3 & K3 box returned, Kona LHe ordered. Bob, thanks for the adapter."

Good deal. Whomever your VAR is, they did the right thing.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Nov 20, 2007 at 9:15:39 pm

Now, don't write back and ask how to upconvert your Beta SP footage becuase we will all tel you to return your KonaLH and get a Kona3.

:-D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]