FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD file size

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tb5821
HD file size
on Nov 11, 2007 at 6:57:46 pm

I have an AJA KL Breakout box, what I'm trying to do is capture in HD yet trying to keep the file size small. Currently exporting out to DVCPro HD - What other formats can I export HD out to?

Return to posts index

Lumiere
Re: HD file size
on Nov 11, 2007 at 7:41:23 pm

Prores.

In 720p it's better quality than DVCPRO HD.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Nov 11, 2007 at 8:12:51 pm

[Lumiere] "In 720p it's better quality than DVCPRO HD. "

I'd say ProRes (HQ) as well, but the file sizes are larger than DVCPro HD. IT's worth it in my opinion.

Return to posts index

tb5821
on Nov 11, 2007 at 9:09:15 pm

Yes I agree pro res would be the proper codec to use, but I dont have final cut studio 2 and I believe that is necessary. Any other options?

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Nov 11, 2007 at 9:26:31 pm

DVCPro Hd is probably the best. Are you trying to archive something?

There's also the Sheer codec and there's also PhotoJpeg @100%.

Return to posts index

tb5821
on Nov 11, 2007 at 11:05:08 pm

Its really just for keeping the file sizes down. How are the Sheer codec and the PhotoJpeg @100 as far as quality. Does the PhotoJpeg produce all the frames in images? or is that just the codec? and I'm not familiar with the sheer codec. How would I go about setting these up in the AJA control panel?

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Nov 11, 2007 at 11:56:15 pm

Sheer does a fantastic job and is higher quality than DVCPro HD and you will have to pay money for it. It is not Rt enabled within FCP, and netiher is PhotoJPEG, but that one you don't have to pay for.

Stick with DVCPro HD, it's easier and will allow rt editing. There are better codecs, but DVCpro HD will make your editing life easier.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 11, 2007 at 11:28:24 pm

[tb5821] "I have an AJA KL Breakout box, what I'm trying to do is capture in HD yet trying to keep the file size small. Currently exporting out to DVCPro HD - What other formats can I export HD out to?"

That's going to give you your best quality and small file size. HDV is smaller, but you don't want to convert DVCPro HD to HDV.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR
The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]