FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona Drivers for Leopard

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Davidson
Kona Drivers for Leopard
on Nov 10, 2007 at 8:56:32 am

Hey guys,

Love your work, and I'm sure you're doing lots of it getting ready for Leopard when it launches. As someone who has invested a good deal of money with AJA products, I'd love to at least have an idea of when Leopard drivers will come out. Unfortunately the PR release you guys put out two weeks ago was a little light on actual information.

What's the deal? Are you waiting for an update to Studio first? Did Apple not provide you with a beta before launch? Were there last minute changes in the final GM that wrecked everything you had done prior to the official launch of Leopard?

If you need some field testing on Leopard, I'd be happy to be a guinea pig. I have two internal drives, one for tiger, one for leopard, so I can beta test without too much fear of serious damage (and I just finished up a big project).

I'm sure I'm the last person you need pressure from. Your sales department is probably wigging to fill the needs of new Mac Pro purchasers.

Thanks guys,

John

John Davidson____ writer | producer | director____http://www.magicfeather.tv

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Kona Drivers for Leopard
on Nov 10, 2007 at 12:29:18 pm

[John Davidson] "What's the deal? Are you waiting for an update to Studio first?"

Using history as our guide, that is the most likely hold-up. Quite honestly, nobody should be upgrading to Leopard until Apple releases their updates as there have been many reports of issues with Studio 2 and Leopard at this time.

Nice of Apple to be shipping new machines with Leopard installed but no Leopard updates to Studio 2.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 10, 2007 at 4:26:03 pm

Here is the deal John. Steve Jobs hates you. He knows who you are, and he wants to make your life miserable. He knows that you have invested LOTS of money in all this equipment, AJA products, hard drives, etc. and he knows that if he makes sure that none of the manufacturers (like Adobe, AJA, Blackmagic, and his internal pro apps division) have Leopard in advance, that YOU will suffer. And this makes him happy.
Mr. Jobs is hoping that YOU accidentally upgrade to Leopard so that you system is rendered unusable.

And do you know what John. As soon as AJA, Blackmagic, Adobe, AVID, Digidesign, and all the drive companies how to get Leopard working on the MAC Pro, Mr. Jobs will OUTDATE the PCI-Express MAC Pro, and come out with a newer, faster, totally different MAC product, and everything that you own will be outdated. Do you feel better now ?

As long as you are in the technology business (which could be our business, or the pro printing business, network business, audio, photography, etc.), things will CONTINUE to change like this, and continue to give all of us aggrivation. Even though all we have to do is produce "creative content" that someone can watch for educational or entertainment value, we must continue to have the technology change constantly. IF there was no turmoil in our lives, then we would be HAPPY, and this would make "the creators" very unhappy (Bill Gates and Steve Jobs) - and we can't make them unhappy , can we ?

In conclusion - keep your pants on John. Leopard will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR YOU in terms of your editing and graphics system and applications. If Leopard never happened, Final Cut Studio 2 and the AJA product line would be as amazing as it ever as, and you would be able to create incredible HD content for all of your clients, and continue to make lots of money, so you can get that Ferrari that you really want.

So, stop your whining, and get back to work !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 10, 2007 at 7:46:18 pm

[Bob Zelin] "keep your pants on John. Leopard will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR YOU in terms of your editing and graphics system and applications."

But it has cool 3D icons and transparent menus. I can understand why John would "drop trou" for those features.

And, moreover Bob, when the heck are you gonna finely figure out yet that for most people making TV shows with gear that actually works is just too easy, and frankly downright boring.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 10, 2007 at 11:26:14 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "And, moreover Bob, when the heck are you gonna finely figure out yet that for most people making TV shows with gear that actually works is just too easy, and frankly downright boring."

Absolutely! I mean no drop frame support (ever) for 720p HD... that has made Post soooooooo much more fun than if I actually had that feature.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR
The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Nov 11, 2007 at 12:05:49 am

I'm not wrong for asking when at least beta drivers will be out. I'd like to at least be able to listen to audio w/ Leopard. The aja boards are dark on this topic and initially everybody (including you guys) thought AJA's drivers would have been out almost immediately.

And Bob, if I had a dollar for every time I was asked to put my pants back on....I wouldn't need to ask for drivers!

John

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 11, 2007 at 12:18:02 am

[John Davidson] "The aja boards are dark on this topic and initially everybody (including you guys) thought AJA's drivers would have been out almost immediately."

Yeah, and we also thought Apple's Studio 2 Updates would be out immediately too. Since the OS was delayed from June to October, I would have thought the FCP team would have been ready with updates, but with Apple's notorious secrecy, it's probably the Studio team got the Leopard final the same day we all got it. No updates from Apple, no updates from AJA.

[John Davidson] "
I'm not wrong for asking when at least beta drivers will be out."

AJA has never released beta drivers to the public to my knowledge.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR
The new Color Training DVD now available from the Creative Cow!

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 11, 2007 at 4:41:09 am

[walter biscardi] "Absolutely! I mean no drop frame support (ever) for 720p HD... that has made Post soooooooo much more fun than if I actually had that feature."

Exactly!!! Its the challenge of figuring out workarounds that makes this business so very compelling. Just imagine how dull it would be if everything worked and every minute of the day was actually constructive. The thought is frightening...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

mark palmos
on Nov 16, 2007 at 9:06:20 am

[John Davidson] "What's the deal? Are you waiting for an update to Studio first? Did Apple not provide you with a beta before launch? Were there last minute changes in the final GM that wrecked everything you had done prior to the official launch of Leopard?"

Hi John,
I agree wholeheartedly that things have been very slow in coming, both from Apple and Aja... and Leopard has been available for months and months now - and though these things take plenty of time, im sure nobody is just being lazy. Perhaps Apple and Aja's priorities have been focussed on money making new products rather than important updates for their present customers... so please, "Whine" on!!!

Mark.

Return to posts index

xzuxzu
on Nov 16, 2007 at 9:51:56 am

why is the wait so long to get AJA drivers ? AJA was sold to me as a "close partner" with Apple... it seems like AJA is not in the loop ! ... now FCP 602 is out, when do you think we can expect to get the latest driver for AJA ? please !

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 16, 2007 at 4:04:10 pm

[mark palmos] "I agree wholeheartedly that things have been very slow in coming, both from Apple and Aja... and Leopard has been available for months and months now"

Mark
while leopard has been available for release - the final version of the OS was not given to the major developers less that 30 days before it was released.

maybe you should take a minute to count all of those AJA easy setups - and multiply them by the number of products they make (LS, LH, LHE, K2, K3x, K3e, Io, IoLA, IoLD, IoHD.)

and realize that every one of the settings has to be checked- something around 1.17 million variations.

That is 10,000+ tests for every single person that works at AJA.

Oh and that 10.5.1 update - fixes a timing issue that has plagued ProRes capture and playback needed to be tested also.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Nov 20, 2007 at 10:44:48 pm

Odds are they won't be out for at least another week with Thanksgiving so soon.

I think you guys are right. Why focus on updating old stuff when you can focus on new stuff that generates NEW money? AJA won't see a dime (directly) from me when they update their drivers - probably just more whining about how some setup does this or some button doesn't do that. Certainly the Kona 2 has worked great for me for years and I have AJA to thank for that.

We may see the end free updates for 3rd party apple hardware. I wouldn't want to have to keep updating a project I got paid for two years ago.

Return to posts index

xzuxzu
on Nov 21, 2007 at 12:01:10 am

I don't see AJA products like a "buy and trash" product. As a 'pro' hardware, associated to 'pro' computers, I think AJA and all 'pro' third-party stuff would not be sold if it had to be replaced within the next 5 year. Regarding investments that are made around (not just the acuiring board,but also storage, computers, VCRs...), no company could handle a such a renewal.
so let's wait for the 1254454 templates to be tested, and w'll get drivers, for free !

Return to posts index

xzuxzu
on Dec 7, 2007 at 3:17:03 pm

... 2 months ... did AJA planned to update drivers when 10.6 comes ????

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]