FORUMS: list search recent posts

KONA LHE Reference Issue

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Innowest2
KONA LHE Reference Issue
on Nov 8, 2007 at 2:44:50 am

I'm having an issue with reference to the Kona LHE.

I'm feeding it a standard 525 29.97 reference signal, the same one that is feeding other Kona cards and our decks.

When the LHE primary video system is set to 525 the deck (DSR1500) does not report any reference problems.

When the primary video system for the Kona is switched to 1080i 29.97 and is downconverted and sent to the DRS1500 (for outputting HDV to DVCam via SDI) I get an illegal reference warning on the deck.

Any thoughts? I'm was assuming the 525 29.97 black would provide proper sync to 1080i 29.97.

Thanks

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: KONA LHE Reference Issue
on Nov 8, 2007 at 5:33:24 am

Have you set the reference in the Kona Control Panel?

Return to posts index

Innowest2
on Nov 8, 2007 at 6:48:03 am

It is set to "Ref In" and it shows a 525 29.97 reference present.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Nov 8, 2007 at 7:02:38 am

ANd when you put it in downconvert?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 8, 2007 at 8:21:09 pm

[Innowest2] "I'm was assuming the 525 29.97 black would provide proper sync to 1080i 29.97. "

HD Sync is called Tri- level and is not the same as SD and should not be interchanged.

your assumption is incorrect.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Innowest2
on Nov 9, 2007 at 6:35:25 am

I thought tri-level was for frame rates other than 29.97. I'm not trying to sync 23.98.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 10, 2007 at 12:41:31 am

you are correct. Most users here do not own a tri level
sync gen (not even the newly introduced AJA GEN10). Most people are simply using standard black if they are operating at 1080i 29.97. This applies to AVID, Blackmagic and AJA systems. You need tri level sync desperately when you are trying to lay back a 23.98 show back to your HD VTR at 23.98.

I don't know what your problem is. You are running at 59.94, you are downconverting to 29.97 at 525, and your VTR is saying that you have a non standard reference (it's a DSR-1500 , correct ? ). Your AJA is locked to black, your DSR-1500 is locked to black, you are outputtting and 29.97 525, and your VTR is unhappy. This makes no sense to me.

1) exactly what model is your black generator ?
2) are you going SDI, component, or composite into your DSR-1500 ?
3) if you are using a Horita, is it the BSG-50, or the BG-50 ? The BG-50 doesn't work, and if you are using the BSG-50 you MUST use BNC 75 ohm terminators to terminate the black reference feed (not on the 1500, this has a term switch), otherwise, it won't work.

Let me know. There is more to this simple story than we know here.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

InnoWest2
on Nov 10, 2007 at 12:55:50 am

Right now I'm using the 3 composite outputs from a Digibeta deck as the sync reference. (The deck isn't being used for playback or recording)

I recently ran sync to all of our equipment after installing a Decklink Videohub.

Setting the deck to sync off the input video was fine when everything was hard wired, but now, with the hub, sometimes the decks don't get a signal and it obviously affects playback if it's syncing off of video "snow" from the router.

I've ordered the AJA Gen10 and will have that next week. I'm not convinced that will help the situation though.

We have a Kona 3 and a Kona 2 with the exact same setup and everything is fine. Only the LHE's are having this issue and it's only when the primary format is set to 1080i 29.97.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 10, 2007 at 4:51:56 pm

Right now I'm using the 3 composite outputs from a Digibeta deck as the sync reference. (The deck isn't being used for playback or recording)

REPLY - this is a joke, right ? THIS ISN'T SYNC, THIS ISNT REFERENCE. You can't even FAKE IT unless there is a TAPE PLAYING IN YOUR DIGI BETA VTR CONSTANTLY. The signal coming out of the composite output of your Digi Beta VTR with no tape running on the D Beta VTR is NOTHING, and you CANNOT rely on it. WHO ON EARTH told you that this was any way to work.

Of course you should order the GEN10, and of course this will solve your non std ref problem on your DSR-1500 VTR. And if it doesn't, God knows what else is going on in your system.

MORAL OF STORY - when someone tells you that they have a problem - ASSUME NOTHING.

1) Can I use these Radio shack audio cables for HD Video - I put BNC adaptors on them
2) I bought a sync generator on ebay, and my color is cycling. It's a Grass Valley 900 series sync generator, made in 1968. It's putting out H sync or V Sync - which one should I use.
3) the "my sync generator is the composite output of my Digi Beta VTR" will be new to my smart ass list. Thanks !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]