FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Way to Post DVCPRO50 Video

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Scott
Best Way to Post DVCPRO50 Video
on Nov 6, 2007 at 8:30:32 pm

Hi,

Trying to decide upon the most efficient workflow without compromising quality to work with DVCPRO50 SD video. Should I capture firewire using the native DVCPRO50 codec or SDI uncompressed 10bit into my KONA LH? Will I lose any quality going firewire vs SDI?

My final project will very graphic intensive, so editing on an uncompressed FCP timeline is a must.

Any thoughts from the pros are greatly appreciated!
Jeff

Return to posts index

Matt Larson
Re: Best Way to Post DVCPRO50 Video
on Nov 6, 2007 at 9:02:39 pm

Here's a good article on just this subject: http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/when_to_stay_native.html

Personally, I'd capture 10bit Uncompressed if you can handle it.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Nov 6, 2007 at 9:08:41 pm

[Matt Larson] "Personally, I'd capture 10bit Uncompressed if you can handle it."

Most definitely. Even ProResHQ will be of great benefit.

Return to posts index

Matt Larson
on Nov 6, 2007 at 9:14:43 pm

Agreed. I'm doing my first full project in ProRes 720p (instead of uncompressed 8-bit) and I'm very impressed. The quality looks identical to uncompressed but with over 1000 clips, I'd never be able to have all the uncompressed media on-line at the same time.

Return to posts index

ronnyron
on Nov 7, 2007 at 9:13:56 pm

I've been delivering network shows from DV50 for 3 years now.
I capture all DV50 material via SDI using the Kona-->DVCPRO50 codec (preset).
No sense in wasting drive space, I don't see a difference either way.

I have yet to fail a QC.

Uncompressed makes sense if you have a lot of graphics, but the footage can stay at DV50 in my opinion. You can mix res in the TL now, so this isn't an issue.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Nov 8, 2007 at 2:13:58 am

I'm kind of in Ron's camp on this one. We have been mastering in DVCPro50 for years now and it has not let us down yet. We are primarily internal corporate communications and live show material.

For spots I have been know to go 10-bit if I plan on doing a real heavy color correction....in that case the extra bits can help. But for work where I won't be doing a lot of color tweaking I like the DV50 option. I can keep projects online longer, upload more footage right out of the gate, and those benefits alone justify any visible compression artifacts, which we see none.

BTW, we take in everything SDI.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]