FORUMS: list search recent posts

advice on hd/sd delivery

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Provost
advice on hd/sd delivery
on Nov 3, 2007 at 3:12:19 am

ok here goes.
we have an upcoming project coming in to our facility that poses some unusual challenges.
Because of various contractual dealings not all decisions regarding final delivery formats have been finalized, but do to time constraints and talent availability production must begin Monday.

A little background on the show.
It is a retrospective of a well known motion picture series that will be aired on cable network, and delivered to the studio. There will be a combination of celebrity interviews, film clips, and archival tv footage (animatied series, comedy shows, drama etc. feature films - some shot on video some shot on film).

The celebrity interviews are going to be shot hd. unbelievably, even the format for this has not been decided as of yet. originally dvcpro hd 1080i 23.98 (for film feel) was the choice of the director, but just tonight a sony f900 hdcam was recommended. all shot for 4:3 safe.

several hours of archival tv show footage has already been compiled at 29.97 sd 10bit. the idea is to downconvert the hd interviews to sd 29.97 for offline. the sd 29.97 archival would be upconverted to hd 23.98 for online master source and then downconverted to sd 29.97 for offline to have a consistent timecode base. the 29.97 offline edl would then be converted to 23.98 for online hd conform from the original 23.98 hd interview tapes and the upconverted 23.98 archival. 23.98 1080i will be the master hd output.

if that wasn't ugly enough here's the delivery requirements.
network wants hdcamsr 59.94 texted and textless and digibeta 29.97 4:3 centercut.
studio wants d5 23.98.

so this means the archival sd footage will go from 29.97sd to 23.98hd and back to 29.97sd. (remember some of the archival shows were shot on film so they have already gone from 24 to 29.97)

could it get any worse?
we think that it would be better to shoot the interviews in 29.97/59.94 1080i and upconvert the archival 29.97 to 29.97/59.94 1080i. that way you would not get any frame rate changes until the delivery of the 23.98 1080i for the studio.

also what is the best path to upconvert sd to hd?
we will be conforming/finishing on an FCP/kona 3/shake/color/motion system.

thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: advice on hd/sd delivery
on Nov 3, 2007 at 2:18:29 pm

also what is the best path to upconvert sd to hd?

REPLY -
Kona 3 or I/O HD.

Bob zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]