FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona LHe Detected as x1 Card

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Boyce Johnson
Kona LHe Detected as x1 Card
on Nov 2, 2007 at 9:06:53 pm

My Mac Pro detects the Kona LHe as a x1 card no matter which slot it's in or how the slots are configured. I'm using the second PCIe profile with the Kona in slot three and a Highpoint RocketRaid card in slot 4. Oddly, the RAID card (x8) also shows up as a x1 card. They both have the green dot and the status says "Running at maximum speed". The Kona is performing as I'd expect it to in a x1 slot with slow motion or frozen video. I tried zapping the PRAM but that didn't help.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Kona LHe Detected as x1 Card
on Nov 2, 2007 at 9:10:22 pm

Did you restart after selecting the second profile in the expansion slot utility?

Return to posts index

Boyce Johnson
on Nov 2, 2007 at 9:12:49 pm

Yes. I later restarted again and reset PRAM.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Nov 2, 2007 at 11:25:26 pm

DId you install the Kona drivers/RocketRaid drivers?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 4, 2007 at 11:10:30 pm

this is what I suggest. Pull out the Highpoint, or the Kona (I don't care which one). Restart your MAC. The Expansion Slot Utility will launch. You now will have a choice to choose what configuration you want. Select one that lets you have the slot at x4. Restart your computer (again, only one card is in the computer), and re-open the Expansion Slot utility (it won't come up by itself this time). Is it now at x4 or x1 ? If it's x4, shut down and stick in the next card (slot 3 or slot 4). Bootup - the expansion slot utiliyt will open up again - make sure that you select a setting that has x4 for slot 3 and slot 4 (slot 2 will default to x1). Restart - you should be ok now.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Boyce Johnson
on Dec 6, 2007 at 9:53:52 pm

I've been busy with productions and other more pressing engineering matters so I haven't worked on this in a while. I've tried just about every imaginable configuration and it either sees the card as x1 or x8. Here's my last attempt:

First I shut down and removed both the Kona and the RAID controller. I then started the machine, uninstalled Kona drivers, and reset the PRAM. I checked the Expansion Slot Utility and it correctly showed only the Radeon X1900XT in slot 1. It showed the second profile selected. I shut down the nachine and installed the Kona in slot 3. I started the machine. Expansion Slot Utility did not launch. I launched it and it showed the Kona as a x1 card running at maximum speed in slot 3. The second profile was still selected. I shut down the machine and removed the Kona card. I started the machine, selected the 1st profile in the Expansion Slot Utility, and restarted. I shut down the machine and installed the Kona in slot 3. I started the machine and Expansion Slot Utility launched. It showed the kona as a x8 card running at x1 in slot 3 (first profile). I selected the second profile and restarted. I launched the Expansion Slot Utility and it, once again, showed up as a x1 card running at maximum speed.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Dec 6, 2007 at 10:01:30 pm

Vicious circle. Lovely.

Did you uninstall the Rocket Raid Drivers?

Reinstall the Kona drivers. The system doesn't know what to do unless you install the drivers.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Boyce Johnson
on Dec 6, 2007 at 10:13:43 pm

I didn't uninstall the Rocket RAID drivers. I suppose that's the next step.

I've tried it with the Kona drivers installed and uninstalled. What I was trying to do in this particular sequence was replicate a new installation as the Kona manual says to install the hardware first and then install the drivers.

Return to posts index

Boyce Johnson
on Dec 7, 2007 at 2:00:29 am

I removed the RocketRAID driver and it didn't make a difference. The Kona initially shows up as a x8 card if it's in a x1 slot, but it always ends up appearing as a x1 card when the profile is changed so it's in a x4 slot.

I've done most of the troubleshooting with the RocketRaid card removed, but for the record, it also either shows up as a x4 card when it's in a x8 slot, or a x1 card when it's in a x4 slot. (It's a x8 card.)

It doesn't look like it's the Kona. Perhaps I'll reinstall the OS and start from scratch.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Dec 7, 2007 at 3:37:31 am

[Boyce Johnson] "It doesn't look like it's the Kona. Perhaps I'll reinstall the OS and start from scratch. "

Yeah, that'd be the first thing. If that doesn't work, I'd call Applecare. Perhaps you have some bad hardware inside the ole MacPro.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]