FCP crash on load, Uninstall AJA fix mystery

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mark palmos
FCP crash on load, Uninstall AJA fix mystery
on Oct 30, 2007 at 11:16:33 pm

Hello all
I am wondering what is going on here...
Today working with FCP and Motion, I redered a DV of the project. There was some weird corruption on two of the several Motion projects. I restarted the system. FCP would not boot, crashed every time.

I tried all these things, but the only thing that sort of worked was to Uninstall the LHe Aja software. Then FCP would load, but obviously without the ability to see Aja codec files.

- ran FCPrescue
- repaired permissions on drives
- removed prefs manually
- uninstalled and reinstalled Kona software
- reinstalled FCP as current user
- uninstalled and reinstalled FCP as new user

any ideas what all this could mean, why does FCP load when the Kona software is uninstalled... and why does Motion not load at all, regardless of Kona drivers.

Earlier today the IT dept was trying to sort out my system on the network because I kept on getting requesters for Entourage password and Keychain password, despite choosing to SAVE them each time. The guy doing it was not a Mac boffin and struggled to get the Keychain working, so we deleted all keychains and started again. Could this be something?

any help MUCH appreciated
thanks
Mark

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: FCP crash on load, Uninstall AJA fix mystery
on Oct 31, 2007 at 1:48:52 am

Have you setup your PCIe slot configuration properly?

How much RAM and what kind of computer?

Is your RAM setup properly in pairs if on an intel machine?

What version of Kona drivers?

What version of FCP?

Return to posts index

mark palmos
on Oct 31, 2007 at 7:20:11 am

Hi
System was fine for 3 months... what could i have done wrong with the card installation that could suddenly go wrong now?

I have a brand new 8 core, 4gig ram, Studio 2, Kona v4

Is there any Kona diagonstic which will tell me if the card is 100% ok? I have to do this job today and have the terrible choice of either converting all my Kona codec stuff to native mac codec, or reinstalling OSX and FCP...

Thanks for the help
Mark.

Return to posts index

mark palmos
on Oct 31, 2007 at 7:57:37 am

Hello again Jeremy,

I was wondering, the Kona does display colour bars on the PAL monitor as expected, is that sufficient evidence that it is working ok. I ran the conflict software and that came up clean.

Anything else I can try?
tx
Mark.

BTW, the long error report that OSX provides when FCP crashes does have the Aja mentioned in the first line after the type of error, but then it begins with an A, so thats possibly why.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 31, 2007 at 3:41:03 pm

Can you please check to make sure your PCIe slot config is set up properly?

It's at HardDrive > System > Library > Core Services > Expansion Slot Utility.app

How is your RAM configured? What riser is everything on?

I know it seems mundane, but we have to get these basics out of the way before diving deeper.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 31, 2007 at 3:51:35 pm

[JeremyG] "Can you please check to make sure your PCIe slot config is set up properly?

It's at HardDrive > System > Library > Core Services > Expansion Slot Utility.app
"

Make sure option 2 is selected.

Return to posts index

mark palmos
on Nov 1, 2007 at 9:03:04 pm

Hi Jeremy
I hope to get a moment sometime next week to try figure if there is anything wrong with the hardware, in the meantime a complete reformat and reinstall of system and apps has done the trick.

My IT dept could have been to blame for the mess on Weds... a guy not very familiar with OSX was messing with my permissios and keychains and user accounts to sort the way Entourage was pestering me for a password and never remembering it. Rebooting a few hours after he left rendered FCP unuseable, so it my have been his tinkering.

Till later, thanks for the input, I will report back if i find out something useful.

cheers,
mark.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Nov 2, 2007 at 1:39:29 am

[mark palmos] "My IT dept could have been to blame for the mess on Weds.."

When in doubt, blame IT.

Glad you are up and running man. I am sure you are glad that mess is over. Unfortunately, a ground up reinstall is the only way to fix the weird problems.

Cheers.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]