FORUMS: list search recent posts

LHe - Control BVW75 through Router

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
thrillcat editorial
LHe - Control BVW75 through Router
on Oct 29, 2007 at 5:24:28 pm

Hi...I just started at a production house here, and they have great gear, but they don't have much of it working to it's fullest potential.

I'm trying to gain control of a Sony BVW-75 BetacamSP deck via the Kona LHe.

The signal is routed through a Sierra Video Systems router.

Is this possible? I can't seem to get it to communicate with the deck.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: LHe - Control BVW75 through Router
on Oct 29, 2007 at 5:36:54 pm

doesn't that deck use RS 232 not the RS422 on the Kona?

if that is the case you will need a keyspan adapter to control the deck.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

thrillcat editorial
on Oct 29, 2007 at 5:41:57 pm

No, it's RS-422

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 29, 2007 at 8:31:21 pm

Hi Travis -
#1 - any facility that has a Sierra Router should have a video engineer - either on staff or freelance. If you are not familiar with systems operation, you should not be doing this.

#2 - Sierra is one of my favorite routers. They have MANY MANY different series of routers. The RS422 chassis for the Sierra router line is only available on certain series from Sierra. Exactly which Sierra router do you have. Does it have an RS422 chassis (there will be seperate chassis for HD video, SD SDI video, analog component video, analog composite video, analog audio, aes audio, time code, and RS422 - I have no idea of what you do and do not have

#3 - some of the smaller series of Sierra routers just plug in and work (like the Lassen), some need to be programmed. Just don't assume you plug it in, and it works.

#4. How is this cabled up? Did you run an RS422 line from the Kona LHe to the Sierra RS422 chassis - was this an existing cable ? Did it go to a differnt edit system at some point (like an AVID or Media 100) - did it ever work ?

I can ask you zillions of questions as to why it does or does not work - you need to tell me A LOT MORE details about your system.

I can assure you that the Kona LHe works just fine with the BVW-75, and the Sierra router line will pass a RS422 signal just fine.

I don't know what you know, and what you don't know, and I don't know what you may be assuming - for all I know, you may assume that the RS422 control line is embedded in the video signal (which it is not). I am not trying to be insulting, but some people assume all kinds of things.

Give me more info on your system, and how it was setup before, and I will try to assist you. Sierra is a fantastic company, but even they can't help you without more info.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

thrillcat editorial
on Oct 29, 2007 at 8:53:36 pm

#1) I realize that. The machine room was supposedly set up by a previous employee who supposedly knew what they were doing. That person has since left and nobody else here has tried to use it. A lot of it works just fine, I'm just trying to analyze the situation and plan a route of attack.

#2) The unit has a 805054 chassis attached to the bottom, which is properly connected between the various decks & the AJA. I've followed cables on all ports and confirmed they are connected to the same sources as the posted chart I am attempting to route from. The main unit, however, I cannot find a model number that corresponds with any unit on the company's website. What I can find are the following:
Series 16 Video Audio Matrix
404091-03
It is a component video router.

#3) I've spent the day trying to figure out if everything is plugged in correctly. Not going to assume it will just work, but before we hire someone to come in and configure it, I'm going to make sure everything is plugged in correctly.

#4) Basically, yes. An RS-422 cable has been run between the Sierra & all the decks, and another to the AJA. It is my belief (hard to get a straight answer out of people who don't want to admit that they just don't know) that this machine room was wired & the router installed when the Final Cut system was purchased. So I doubt there was an AVID on this before --- in this facility. However I would venture a guess that the router was purchased used.

Has it ever worked before? Nobody here knows Final Cut Pro, or HD. That's why they hired me. I know AJA & FCP, I'm just not a router/machine room expert. I can route something on the front panel, so long as it has been set up properly before I touch it.

Thanks for your help, Bob!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 29, 2007 at 9:39:59 pm

For your sanity, before wasting a lot of time, I would drag any Sony VTR over to the router or cable harness that you are using for your Kona LHe, and plug in the sony VTR. You only need to plug in the RS422 cable. You can control one Sony VTR from another Sony VTR, by putting one of the two VTR's into remote. For example, if you make the BVW-75 the "master", leave it in local, plug it into the Kona LHe cable harness (RS422 cable), and route this to another VTR. Put this second VTR into REMOTE. Push the PB putton on the BVW-75 front control panel, and you should be able to control the second VTR from the BVW-75. This will prove that the cabling and router works. Once you prove this, hook the Kona LHe back up. If it will not let you control the VTR from the Kona LHe, write back (we will suggest doing an Easy Setup like AJA Kona Beta 8 bit uncompressed, which will autoselect the RS422 port on the Kona).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]