FORUMS: list search recent posts

problem with HDV capture/downconvert

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pom_boarder
problem with HDV capture/downconvert
on Oct 24, 2007 at 6:42:08 am

Hi all,

I have a project delivered to me with DV P2/DV50 and sony HDV. I have elected to downconvert the HDV and capture as DV50 as this matches the bulk of my footage.

I have a Sony HVR-M10P deck with component out connected to the Kona LHe component in. I have the audio outs from the deck connected to my audio ins. I have the deck set to output 576i thru component. I have control panel set to analog in component (beta).

I am capturing in FCP. I am getting sound, no problem. I am getting a picture but it is kind of like looking at a film negative. I have checked all my connections, they are correct. I have connected a blackburst and tried all three genlock settings.

Can anyone suggest where I may have gone wrong?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: problem with HDV capture/downconvert
on Oct 24, 2007 at 8:48:51 am

[pom_boarder] " I am getting sound, no problem. I am getting a picture but it is kind of like looking at a film negative. I have checked all my connections, they are correct."
"Can anyone suggest where I may have gone wrong? "

2 things

check the Kona control panel =your component input needs to be set to SMPTE
and recheck the cables- sounds as if you have the blue and red inputs swapped too

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

pom_boarder
on Oct 24, 2007 at 11:39:16 pm

Thanks for the reply Gary, first thing I did was check the cables, they are correct. I've tried the SMPTE format, no difference.

I've checked the component out from the deck, to a display, its a good signal. But something is amiss.

Anyone other suggestions for isolating the problem area?

Return to posts index

szumlins
on Oct 25, 2007 at 1:20:01 pm

You are trying to use the deck to downconvert. Use the LHe.

Output from the deck at 1920x1080 and set your framebuffer on the Kona to 525 and your secondary format to 1080i29.97. Capture using the FCP AJA Kona DV50 easy setup. If you have the LHe control panel open in the background, you should see "downconvert" inline from your component analog in source if everything is configured right while in FCP.

Return to posts index

pom_boarder
on Oct 25, 2007 at 8:22:17 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I had no success with either 1080 or 625 out of the deck and I suspect it may be faulty. It has had a nasty knock at some point and I believe there may be a problem. I moved onto capturing my beta tapes through the kona component and it worked fine first time. In the end I used the HDV deck to downconvert to DV through firewire. Not the ideal end result but it worked and there is no turnaround time on this job so thats how it has to be.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]