COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
walter biscardi
Leopard coming Oct. 26
on Oct 16, 2007 at 6:07:49 pm

Who wants to be first in the pool?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Broadcast and independent productions.

All Things Apple Podcast! http://cowcast.creativecow.net/all_things_apple/index.html

Read my blog! http://blogs.creativecow.net/WalterBiscardi

Return to posts index

CharlieX
Re: Leopard coming Oct. 26
on Oct 16, 2007 at 6:39:42 pm

I just order my Up-To-Date copy. I've got an extra HD in the Mac Pro - clone that boot drive and I'll upgrade right away. Excited to get some, hopefully, more horsepower out of these 8 cores!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 16, 2007 at 8:30:31 pm

Charlie -
why do you assume that Leopard will load up, and all of your AJA /Blackmagic/Disk Drive host cards will all still work. We have seen problems EVERY TIME Apple changes their OS, and we already know how uncooperative Apple is with third party vendors (it took Apple forever to get LSI to build their own Apple Fibre Channel card for PCI-E, and this is their own product !).

I would like to forget about Leopard until around April 2008. All I care about now is getting the I/O HD, and making sure that works. It takes SO LONG for all these products to stabilize, and now Apple "rocks the boat" once again.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

CharlieX
on Oct 16, 2007 at 8:59:43 pm

Bob -
Why are you so combative? of course I don't assume anything will work. That's why I said I'm cloning my Tiger boot drive, then I can fool around with Leopard to my heart's content.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 16, 2007 at 9:13:31 pm

I'm with you, Charlie. I am 'sorta' disappointed in my 8 core and I am hoping Leopard will make me not so disappointed. A separate boot drive is definitely in order for some pussy-catting around.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

CharlieX
on Oct 16, 2007 at 11:37:16 pm

I'm dissapointed that I can't seem to put any strain on these processors. Only compressor and after effects even begin to use up all this macho! Need more macho!

Return to posts index

leuey
on Oct 19, 2007 at 2:07:14 am

Prepare to continue to be disappointed if you think Leopard is going to have your Apps make use of the extra processors. It won't. What it will do is provide a means for the next iteration of Apps to scale much better with multiple cores. But the onus is still on the devs to do that. The best mutli-processing App at the moment (IMO) is Modo (the 3D App). It will scale pretty much linearly while rendering with up to 16 local cores.

Unfortunately 64-bit procs have been with us for many years and we are just now getting 64-bit OS's (Vista, Leopard). It's going to be another long wait before Apps are truely capable of taking advantage of all of your cores. By that time we'll have 16 or 32 core machines.

-Greg

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 16, 2007 at 9:47:11 pm

Why am I so combative ? 40 years in NY. I will fight with anyone about anything, for any reason (as long as I can be helpful at the same time). As a matter of fact, what the hell is the X for in Charlie X.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

CharlieX
on Oct 16, 2007 at 10:14:15 pm

ha ha. must be a Yankees fan :)

Charlie X. from classic Star Trek. You know: "an unstable teenage boy with dangerous mental powers." I totally have dangerous mental powers.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 16, 2007 at 7:19:08 pm

[walter biscardi] "Who wants to be first in the pool"

Not until AJA ships floaties! I mean, a driver!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Hey AJA guys, when are u giving us Leopard drivers???
on Oct 16, 2007 at 9:45:00 pm

[JeremyG] "Not until AJA ships floaties!"

Given that Leopard was due out ages ago, I'm assuming that AJA has had developer betas for months and months. I'll bet they post Kona drivers very quickly.

Let's see if they give us a heads-up...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Hey AJA guys, when are u giving us Leopard drivers???
on Oct 16, 2007 at 10:32:12 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "Let's see if they give us a heads-up... "

OF course they will be ready guys, but don't think that just because apple delayed did not mean that everything else fell in behind, Apple just declared GM in the last few days.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 17, 2007 at 12:54:21 am

I have no fear AJA will be ready as soon as they are ready.

heh heh.

Return to posts index

szumlins
on Oct 17, 2007 at 2:19:37 am

AJA hardware works great right now on 10.5 DP.

Now FCP on the other hand....

Return to posts index

PaulD
on Oct 17, 2007 at 9:58:21 am

[szumlins] "Now FCP on the other hand.... "
Hi
;-) Won't we all have to stump up $69 for the Leopard-compatible FCS maintenance release DVDs?
Too big for download...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]