FORUMS: list search recent posts

Two quick Kona questions

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc
Two quick Kona questions
by
on Oct 16, 2007 at 3:15:35 am

I'm a new Kona user with a couple of quick questions I'm hoping you might be able to help me with.

First off, I'm using a 1920X1200 monitor with component inputs to monitor my Kona's 1080i output. For some reason, with the monitor set to display 1:1 (actual pixels), I'm noticing small black bars on either side of the display. Any explanation as to why?

Also, I'm using the Kona card to preview my After Effects render... and it's running VERY slowly. When I turn the card's output off and watch it on the desktop only, it plays at real time. Again, any explanation?

Thanks!

Marc

Return to posts index

JeremyG
Re: Two quick Kona questions
on Oct 16, 2007 at 4:51:18 am

[Marc] "'I'm using a 1920X1200 monitor"

What monitor? and how are you setting to 1:1?

[Marc] "Again, any explanation?"

What kind of drives do you have? How have you setup the preferences, do you playout during interactions, renders, previews? Are you running adaptive resolution? 1080i in After Effects isn't exactly licketty split.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Marc
by
on Oct 17, 2007 at 4:04:42 am

I'm using Dell 24" HC monitors (1920X1200)... The monitor allows you to set several display options -- aspect, 1:1 or fill. 1:1 should be a pixel to pixel copy, thereby making a 1920X1080 signal have a small letterboxing of 60 pixels on the top and bottom.

The computer is a 3 ghz quad-core Xeon Mac. My drives are media only internal SATA 750 gb drives... and I've tried playing the footage back at 1080p, 1080i, neither works. When playing back other 1080i HD footage, like in FCP, it's flawless and beautiful. And it plays back in the regular AE monitor without any problem. But when I output to the Kona card for render previews... ugh. I'm only using it for previews, not for interactions, etc. Perhaps the AJA is better suited to RT previews in FCP and not AE, though I'm surprised it plays back at full-res, full motion in the monitor window fine, but not in via the card.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 17, 2007 at 12:36:40 pm

[Marc] "When playing back other 1080i HD footage, like in FCP, it's flawless and beautiful. And it plays back in the regular AE monitor without any problem. But when I output to the Kona card for render previews... ugh."

Sounds as if you need to set your playback Prefs in FCP to highest quality - or turn off RT to see the real image.

Check what you have set under the User Settings > Render Control

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Return to posts index

Marc
by
on Oct 17, 2007 at 9:01:18 pm

The FCP playback is great... it's the AE playback that is s l o w.

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Oct 17, 2007 at 2:42:56 pm

[Marc] "My drives are media only internal SATA 750 gb drives"

Are they raided together? What codec are you using?

In the info tab of AE window, when hit a RAM preview and it plays back, what frame rate is it giving you and what does it say? Does it say not real time because your preview window is not @ 100%?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Marc
by
on Oct 17, 2007 at 9:03:00 pm

They're seen as 1 2TB drive...

As for the playback... I've tried 100%, etc... The only message I get is that it's not playing back at full speed, and that the audio monitor is on. Turning it off doesn't change anything.

For testing purposes, I'm not using footage or any effects -- merely fading a solid color from 0% - 100%.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]